1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Shellac type gasket sealer....

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Tommyc, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Try using the Shellac gasket sealer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :gah:
  2. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

No, I didn't anneal the copper gasket first. I took Tattoo's advice on this and so far the gasket has held. He's been using them for 32 years. The thing to remember is to go back and check torque after a couple of heat cycles wherever you put new gaskets. I checked mine several times on the head . . .

I have read elsewhere, probably on the shovelheadUSA forum, that if you use a sealer on the rocker box gaskets, silicone is not a good idea because it goes on fairly thick and uneven and the gasket can slide around all over the place. The goop can squeeze out on the inside and break off later on and clog an oil line. Whatever you use, apply just enough to cover the gasket surface - a very thin coat on each side.

I also think the shellac will work fine. It has a history and is time proven.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  3. eieio4tn

eieio4tn Active Member

thats how you're supposed to use rtv (black for oil and temp is best), i wipe it on thin with a finger (magazine covers make a great backer). let it set up for an hour, then torque that puppy. it kills me to see someone lay down a 1/4" thick bead and then stick it right on. that's a great formula for internal globs of sillycone flowing through vital passages. but i only do this with paper gaskets. i believe that's what the service manual says. wait, that's more than $.02 worth ain't it ?