1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Shifter Problem

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FLHTbiker, Mar 9, 2010.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

There is two groups leaving on Thursday morning. Wouldn't yea know it business got real busy this week with two full home inspections on wed. which means up till midnight doing reports and packing.:(

My group will consist of all guys who except for one who does not ride real well, but we will be riding a pretty good steady pace. The one who doesn't who until just yesterday I just found out is going rides a trike. :rolleyes: He'll ride or get left behind to many miles to screw around.

The second is the ladies group, :D They didn't want to get up and leave at 5 AM. There leaving at 8:30 AM instead. Coming back on Sunday now instead of Monday as originally planned. Have another home inspection Monday now.

The weather forecast looks to be better on Sunday so won't have to wear the rain gear.:)
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

have fun!!!! stay safe and dont forget to take the Kodak!!!!!!
  3. FLHTbiker

OK here is the deal...got a call from the dealer and there saying that the problem is the shifter linkage. I replaced the stock one with a Harley one. Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA
    They say the linkage is to stiff and does not move freely. So I told him if the Harley linkage is bad then replace it under warranty, won't do it. So they are charging me 2 hours labor. They said they lubed it up and took it out and rode it again and say it is still doing it. They won't fix it under warranty. So I now have documentation that I reported it and if a problem occurs I will go back on them. In the mean time I will put the stock one back on and see if it still does it.
  4. chucktx

i hope the old one fixes the problem......if it does i am sure with a little modifying, the new one will work also!!!
  5. FLHTbiker

Heck Chuck it was doing it with the stock one to, but to prove it to them I'll put the stock one back on. I get so sick of these guys trying to blow smoke in your face. I haven't picked up the bike yet but their going to get an ear full for sure. They think everyone is stupid that walks into the shop.
  6. chucktx

take it with you and install it while there.....then tell em to get the warranty papers ready..........
  7. FLHTbiker

Good idea!
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yep blow that smoke right back at them
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Before you go call HD Customer Service be nice, give the person your VIN when they ask for it say "which one, my 00 Springer or my 08 FL?" that way they know you are not a one time one bike guy.

Explain the problem, that you put on a pn xxxxx-xx genuine HD part the bike is in it's warranty period and the dealers wanting to charge you X plus refused to warranty
    the repair on a HD bike in it's warranty period with HD parts and they still didn't fix it.

They'll ask what you want... be nice

Just say, well I wanted to know how to handle it, seems to me
    that a HD bike with HD parts ought to be fixed under the HD warranty
    If they lubed the part that they say is too stiff, then it didn't work
    then obviously it's got a problem.

I'll bet they ask for the dealers name and by the time you get there
    the MoCo will call the dealer and it will be taken care of..

Harley-Davidson Customer Service
    3700 W. Juneau Avenue
    Milwaukee, WI 53208

To speak with a Harley-Davidson customer service representative call (414) 343-4056.
  10. FLHTbiker

Went back down to the dealer and told them if the Harley shifter is bad then you should have replaced it. So, the top mechanic who is fair and correct said, lets put the stock shifter back on it and if it still does it then we need to go inside the transmission. If it works fine then the Harley shifter linkage is bad and should be replaced, under warranty. So will see, waiting to hear back from them. :rolleyes:
  11. chucktx

that sounds a lot better!!!
  12. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

Very reasonable approach. Good luck.
  13. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I remember when I changed out my stock shifter linkage on my '04 E-G for a HD similar to yours in the diagram I looked at the drawing on the instructions and got a little confused and mounted the linkage on the inside of the rod that comes up from the shifter lever. I put the bolt on the front of the linkage. When the transmission was being shifted into second and first the head of the bolt would ever so slightly brush up on the edge of the cooling fin on the front barrel and hang up the shifter a lot like what you're going thru. {It took a while to figure that one out}I put a thinner head bolt on it for clearance and then checked out some bikes with the same type and found they mounted the linkage on the outside..looks a little akward but lots and lots of clearance. I felt a little dumb. If yours was doing that with the stock shifter though it's likely something more complicated.Hope you get it fixed soon.

Looking at these instructions for that part if you mounted it according to the diagram the head of the bolt could contact the barrel. This is what I did. When I read the instructions I mounted it correctly
    Last edited: May 5, 2010
  14. FLHTbiker

The dealer called so I went down to talk to them. They say the shifter linkage is the problem. They put the stock linkage back on and did not have a problem. In talking to the head Mechanic Mike who is also their main builder he showed me how stiff the linkage was at the rear pivot and said that it was causing the linkage to bind which in turn was not allowing the shifter arm to fully return to catch the gear. They are going to warranty the shift linkage and there will be no charge for the labor. I say that they turned out to be a pretty good stand up dealer. I did not threaten them, beg them or report them to Harley they simply took care of the problem. I'll pick up the bike tomorrow. Hats off to Latus Motors in Portland :)
  15. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Sound's like a good fair deal , I have broke three hd linkage arms ( no shifting hard ) so I put one from kuryakyn on & it's been working for about 2-3 years now
  16. chucktx

great news.........glad they took care of you!!!