1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Shifting hard into first

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by slyman777, Dec 5, 2009.

1. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I'll vote for Amsoil,
    20/50 motor 75/110 trans. and I use 10/40 in primary.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I have always used amsoil in all three holes , But have heard a lot of good about redline in the trans , look around & see what is the easyest to get in your neck of the woods ,I have a 03 Eglide with just shy of 60k miles & still going real good
    My kids & now my grand kids all love to ride kids now or have there own bikes & grandkids want there own
  3. slyman777

slyman777 New Member

well cheesenrice chuck, wherever will I find the time...its winter. What to you run??? I always thought lucas was first on the scene and I always see it at the drags, but red line is a solid competitor, huh?
  4. slyman777

slyman777 New Member

thanks guys...i last ran harleys synthetic, but i wasn't too impressed...motor ran the same temp, and I think it made shifting harder, but what do i know, I am just a rookie...only rode 20,000 miles so far...only 15,000 on the fatboy
  5. ReeseSS

ReeseSS New Member

Some of the after market shift linkage rods have a "ball and socket" joint at the ends. The usually are not lubed when installed and the cheap little seal does not hold up long. Rust finally starts eating away and now there is resistance of the ball in the socket. It tends to loosen up after shifting a few times but stiff when you first start a ride. Eventually it will wear to the point the ball pops out of the socket and hopefully you will have a tie strap with you to hold it together until you get home. Lube the snot out of it, if already pretty wore, start looking for and pricing out a new shift linkage rod!
  6. slyman777

slyman777 New Member

thanks reese...but i just put new linkage on this year...and I know what you're thinkin, but the problem was around before this do it your selfer got his hands on it
  7. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

You're right about the stress reliever. I can have a stressful day at work, then come out to the parking lot, get on the Harley (after listening to it rumble for about 1/2 minute) and the 15 minute ride home is the high point of the day. Sometimes I try to think of some place else to go so I don't have to stop right away. Anyhow, keep your ride if you can but your thinking in the right direction when you are putting your family first. Keep after it and things will probably work out. Oh by the way, the 15 minute ride to work ain't half bad either so long as I'm on the Harley - it's just the 9 hours in between.