1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Should I cut or wait?

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Digs, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Digs

Digs New Member

Hey guys, I'm fairly new here so I figured I'd just go ahead and ask you all what you think. I've been riding motorcycles since I was 9 and bought my nighthawk when I was 16. I've had it for a good long time now and i've been debating on cutting it up a little and giving it a new look or saving it and finding another project to play with. The thing is I've been tempted to build a single seater like bobber or hardtail of some sort, but I have a wife and I think I might want to keep this one around so we can take some rides together.

This is my Nighthawk 750 now...

[​IMG]

And was thinking of moving somewhere to this...

[​IMG]

Just an idea and would like to know your opinions.

Attached Files:

2. RoadKingBlack2010

RoadKingBlack2010 New Member

Looks ok but would the seating be comfortable. That really lowers the seat big time.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

from your photos....you would get that crotchrocket look.....may be uncomfortable....may not. if funds allow and you would like to ride with your wife...i would not cut it, get another and ride off into the sunset together!!!!!!! there are a lot of inexpensive yamaha's out there you could cut turn into a really cool digger.....google up chopped yamahas........nice looking bikes when done correctly...........jmo...........
  4. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

there are lots of nice non-harley choppers and bobbers out there check out V-Twin Mag.

This bike won the Rats Hole contest in Strugis in 07, Toxic Choppers built it, It is way cool Honds VTX. He's a local guy here. Does great paint work.

Attached Files:

5. Digs

Digs New Member

I was kinda hoping to hold onto somewhat of a sporty look but I do agree, the seat does sit a little low. Even though I'm a young guy and probably could handle straining my back for a while, I would still like to be able to go for long rides! As for my wife, well she tried riding this one but being as light weight as she is she can barely support it. Maybe building a second bike with a lower stance and smaller engine will do me good (and her).

Thanks for the comments guys!
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

let us know what ya decide to do!!
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I have to agree with all the above , Look on C list there's a lot of good deals on yamaha now in the Houston TX area ,there V twins & good looking bikes & keep the 750 for cruzin with the wife gota keep the boss happy :D
  8. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

With the angle of the front rake the bike may handle sort of awkward with a lower seat, plus it may feel like you are hiding behind the tank. Seems a shame to chop up that bike when there are many chopable (I made that up) bikes out there. If another bike is not in the cards perhaps changing the tank along with the seat would work.
  9. Digs

Digs New Member

kenfuzed, I have had thoughts about replacing the tank with something else that I wouldn't have to hide behind. As far as the front rake goes, I don't even have the slightest clue how to go about changing it other then chopper kits that I have seen online. Here in a couple weeks I'm moving back to Montana where I grew up with my wife and I'm thinking I may keep an eye on craigslist or cruise around neighborhoods and find myself a cheap project bike to play with this winter (hopefully). Making plans is different then actually doing so I got my fingers crossed!