1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Shovel top end . . .

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by joshbob, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yep...he's trying to tell ya something all right...he's sayin' "Joshbob,call the guy that has your heads,tell him not to touch them,except to send them back to you"!!...THEN send the heads to Florida and get them done right...
    I thought fixing a spark plug hole should have been a pretty simple job,prodrag and BP confirmed it is and if the guy can't do that,I don't think I'd want him doing valve and guide work on my stuff
    I said before I sure hope the tap had a flaw in it....but,even if it did you'd have to try pretty hard to bind a tap in a through hole and break it:eek: Not really confidence inspiring:rolleyes:
    Good Luck Josh....Get them back ASAP!!!
  2. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

im not beaming with confidence either,the whole things been pretty scary so far.lots of bad advice (not from this forum)and crap work
  3. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I'd say bad decisions mostly.
  4. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

How does one know if a decision is bad until after it's made? I went on the advice of my indy. I'm not a mind reader. The heads were supposed to be done by last Friday Tattoo tells me. So the guy's already worked on them. Tattoo is anxious for me - he says the guy isn't like this - he's usually prompt and has done good work for a lot of riders and racers.

I have no choice bit to wait and see . . .
  5. Lucifer

I hope it works out for ya Joshbob and HRK doesn't have to send ya that bag of doorknobs;):D
  6. joshbob

:roflmao: I have my own bag, thank you. Actually an old sock full of 1" nuts that have sharp corners. Makes a real good sap.;)
  7. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Fill it with sand. Works real good.
  8. joshbob

Too soft.
  9. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

well I hope it does work out for ya as well . I hope that ol shovel rips some ass of the seat when she's done .and I want to see some video of it running. Love hearing them shovels running
  10. cardboard

When I was at Ft. Jackson we would fill a sock with Sand. You hit a dude with it, and it would knock him down and bruise him up pretty bad.
    He would look like hell the next day.
    You want to mess em up, not kill em dude
  11. joshbob

Speak for yerself :roflmao: !
  12. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I'm not trying to be an a-hole but first, you should find a new indy or do the work yourself until you learn how to do it correctly. Your buddy, Tattoo has been giving bad advice. He said the guides were good and they are not. He said the jug with scratches was ok and it's not. He said the heads would be done in a week and they are not. That work should only take a day or two. And now the machinist can't repair a spark plug hole? WTF? You are gonna trust Tattoo to do it and I guarantee it won't be right. You will end up having to take the motor apart again to have it don'e right. He gave you bad advice on spark plugs too. As long as you keep giving him money him will be glad to butcher your bike. Sadly I know the type.
    I would buy new heads or have your heads fixed heads correctly. Weld them then drill and tap the holes. Heli-coil or time-sert in a shovelhead is gonna be a problem in the future. Too much vibration. I've been there and done that.
    You should have had the whole bottom end taken apart and gone thru while it was out. You know the top end was bad but Tattoo said the bottom end is ok so you left it alone.
    Second, you should have waiting until winter to take the motor apart. It was running fine, you could be riding now.
    I guess we live and learn from our mistakes and decisions.
    Good luck JB.
  13. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

From where we sit,,this sounds like the case,'just sayin. But I'm rootin fer ya.
  14. cardboard

Wait
    If there is a job opening, I want to apply for making decesions on helping josbob find a good indy dude. And help him get his motor back together and running.
    It will REquire JB to come to texas where its warmer oh.
    And I need to know how much the job pays and if there are any benefits that goes along with the job.
  15. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Thank you for your recent intrest in this job mr cb . but at this time Mr Josh bob is not hiring any new job applicants . but does have an intrest in bags of sand door knobs and nuts and bolts . if you do have any to spare he would be very happy in your donations . Thank you very much . human resource director .... Bp:roflmao:
  16. cardboard

So yer basically trying to say
    There won't be a chance in Hell for a interview with the man in charge
    He's simply too busy [​IMG]
  17. joshbob

Just want to say Merry Christmas to you all, and a happy and healthy New Year!

Tattoo hasn't taken a dime of my money as far as the barrels and heads are concerned. I found out yesterday that the heads are done. We are going to go and pick them up sometime after Christmas.

Tattoo is my friend and I'm not going to bail on him. He is going to help me reinstall the barrels and heads at no cost to me.
  18. Lucifer

:cheers::cheers: Merry Christmas to you and Mac the Wife too Joshbob...:)and Happy New Year!!.

Nope...can't bail on a buddy!! Hope you're up and running again soon:cool::chopper:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  19. cardboard

That sounds great !

Now !
    That I got you on the Horn can you slip me a application by any Chance.:gah:
  20. Lucifer

Employment Application

1- Are you forgetful?
    2- Do you drink Budweiser(any kind)
    3-Do you own a TMax?
    4-Do you like EFI Harley's?
    5-Do you like New Harley's more than Old Iron?

If you answer "Yes" to any of the above questions, your application will be balled up and thrown in the wood stove and you will not be contacted for a Personal Interview.

Thank You for your interest in Joshbob Enterprises Motosickle Division.

:chopper: