1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Shovelhead or Evo cam cover removal...

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Tommyc, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Is it possible to remove the cam cover with the pushrods and lifters still installed?
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the cover....yes....
  3. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

The cover supports the end of the cam. Won't the cam have valve spring pressure on it?
  4. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

you can get it off,but you`ll never get it back on
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yes, but the cover will come off........................................!!
  6. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I've had mine off twice and gotten it back on both times, no problem - once to check the timing marks on the gears and again to install a new oil pump & gasket. ('77 shovelhead, solid lifters).
  7. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

You guy's are talking about taking the nose cone off without relieving the spring pressure off the cam??
    I can't see how the cam could support the pressure of the springs with the cam supported by the inner bearing only...
    Step 1 in the service manual even say's to remove rocker box assemblies...Only way I could see it being safe to take the nose cone off would be relieve valve spring pressure off the cam by either Step 1 in the service manual or if adjustable rods,loosening them off or cutting the push rods if you're going to replace them with EZ install ones...
    I've always either backed off the push rods or removed the rocker arms...:confused:
  8. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

you have to loosen up pushrods to get it back on (and it would be a VERY good idea to loosen them before removing it too)
  9. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

OK It can be done, but you really shouldn't just take the cover off.
  10. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Tommy that shovel still . giving you Sh-t ? whats up ? you need some help bro . im just down the road from ya ill give you a hand with it if you want . pm me if ya need some help . or call me at the shop you got my number .
  11. joshbob

Well, my Harley service manual ('70 to early '78) says that if you want to remove the oil pump with the GEARCASE COVER removed so you can get at the oil pump drive shaft (sometimes the inner gear key will get sheared off), you first remove the circuit breaker cover, the circuit breaker parts, then the gear case cover screws, and finally the cover and gasket. Like I said above, I removed the cover twice and had no problem getting it off or putting it back on. A little bit of prying was necessary to loosen the cover once the screws were off.

Now, if it's the gearcase itself you are wanting to remove, then you must remove the pushrods, tappets, hydraulic units and tappet guides. My manual is very clear on this.
  12. Smarty

Smarty New Member

Put bike on stand, pull the spark plugs, put transmission in high gear. Rotate rear whel until you have all pushrods at lowest point on cam. Very sall area for this. This should remove the pressure off the cam and make disassembly and assembly easy.
  13. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I will try to do it Smarty's way. Thanks!
  14. joshbob

Good luck, Tommy.