1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Smoken

Discussion in 'Roadkill Cafe - From Kill to Grill' started by JohnnyBiker, Jan 31, 2011.

1. shovelRob

shovelRob New Member

this ginger jelly you speak of--are we talking some back scene Gilligan's Island thing here?
    :eek:
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

:rolleyes: Were still all waiting for that answer
  3. Crankshaft

Crankshaft New Member

Oak, Hickory and Pecan are my favorites...(singularly or in combination)
    BUT, I like FRESH cut wood myself, and don`t use as much of it...
    When I cut a tree fer firewood, I`ll save some sawdust from the cut to use fer favoring steaks on the gas grill...a coffee can full will last a good spell and several steaks...Thursday is Steak Night here...
    Fer flavoring the some meats before it goes onto the smoker we use Dales steak sauce, I learned of it at the racetrack on grilled rabbit...
    Give Dales a try,
    Crank
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Ginger Jelly recipe

Check this out.
  5. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I think it is really funny that "***" is considered a bad word. Yes, cured hickory is absolutely great for BBQ. We have a lot of it here in N.C.
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I didn't think that the word Juuneper was considered a bad word also I added extra u to it. Juuneperer wood has a real pungent odor to it. To me it smells like a bunch of wet diapers.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  7. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

No, I just farted.....:roflmao::roflmao:
  8. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Been smoking the Christmas Turkey for about 15 years or more, don't remember exactly. Use aged hickory, two maybe 4"x4" chunks, soaked for hours before putting on the smoker. After those two burn up, do not add more. Seems to fit everyone's taste. Have used more to get a stronger flavor. Can't say that is the best way, but been using it a long time. Bird sure is good every year. ;)
  9. BisbeeDyna

BisbeeDyna New Member

I know it's almost a year since you posted this but I've done these for years and almost have it perfected. If you try this you won't be sorry!
    First thing is do not use a spiral cut ham because it will dry out quick in the smoker. Buy a bone in that isn't sliced.
    Get yourself a bottle of maraschino cherries, a can of pineapple slices, ground ginger, brown sugar and some real butter. Drain the juice off the cherries and pineapple into a sauce pan, add about 3 tablespoons of butter, one tablespoon of ground ginger and 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar and heat to a slow boil stirring frequently. Let it cool while you get the ham out of the wrapper and into a foil or aluminum pan. Use some sort of injector (easiest to find are the Cajun Injectors at most grocery stores) and inject the ham all over with the mixture. Smoke at 225 to 250 degrees until the internal temp reaches 120 or so and then add cherries and pineapple slices to the ham with toothpicks, baste with the rest of the juice you made and bring to around 160 internal.
    I use cherry a lot for pork and it's great as are most fruit woods. I don't recommend mesquite for pork but pecan and oak are good with pork.

OK, I'll shut up now.
    :cheers:
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

this looks real good , thanks & welcome :D
  11. BisbeeDyna

BisbeeDyna New Member

Thanks cowboy. I'm a native Texan and love to cook.