1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Snow time fun time!

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by badinfluence63, Jan 8, 2020.

1. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Soooooooooooooo..I'm heading to work for midnights tonight. About 2-3 inches of hard pack snow on the road and no plow or salt truck in sight. I didn't expect it so I left a little later than I would have had I known it snowed. regardless, speed llimit is 45 mph, I'm going 28-30mph, mostly 28mph. As I'm heading out of my little village and climbing the hill, I see headlights 3/4 mile away behind me but gaining fast. Before I could even get to the top of the hill he was on my ass. I pull over courteously and let him by. A lilttle sub compact 4 door blows by me.

Not even 1/4 mile down the road he is in the ditch and nose of the car in the swamp, axle deep in the snow. I se the tracks of where it went wrong as I was pretty was the next car coming up behind him.

I pulled over even tough I swear I would never for speeders who end up in the ditch. But I did and glad I did. Young kid walking around looking dazed saying I don't know what to do. I explained he wasn't getting out w/out a tow truck and does he have a cell phone and was he okay. He replied yes. I said I'd be calling a tow truck if I was you. And I left.

No reason to lecture him as he was pretty much screw already or hold his hand. He was okay, a little shaken and had a cell phone.
    Red Rider likes this.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Lesson learned, back when I lived in snoville had a bad storm, icy roads with snow
    way to the house was up a big hill then down the otherside with a 4 way stop at the bottom.

Numb nuts in a 4wd passed me going up hill roads were two lane in a subdivision, needless to say numb nuts didn't consider how to slow down before the 4 way stop.

He lost control, hit a couple of cars and slid sideways off the street,
  3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I bet both numbnuts didn't learn a thing! They don't here.
  4. badinfluence63

If they do lesrn there is stillplenty of others to take their place.
    Red Rider likes this.
  5. hotroadking

Well I'm betting both learned how to pucker their a-holes pretty tight
    or that stupid means you change your shorts...
  6. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Gotta admit, 'Took me a few F Ups to learn.. Could have been bad. Figure I used up 6 or 7 of cat's lives. Todays traffic would have finished me off.
    Red Rider likes this.
  7. badinfluence63

The worst or as equally as bad as snow is those late summer early fall after the crops have been cleared wind gusts in the mid west across the prairies.

Once while stationed at Ft Riley, KS I was heading to watch Uni of Iowa and Iowa wrestle. Dan Gable was still the coach. On the way home the high winds blew my car into the ditch.

Another time when heading to California on my bike with my wife and heading down st rt 69 south out of KC to Pittsburg, KS (Home of Chicken Mary and Chicken Annie's world famous best fried chicken ever), we were actually riding angled to the left hard because of the high winds. I stopped at the first whatever available area with a building we could step in until it stopped. Scary and weird stuff.
  8. Fatboy128

Well thankfully, your not in Kansas anymore toto!
  9. badinfluence63

For now. Hope to be out there getting it here soon. Trying to retire but waiting till wife's retirement stuff is straightened out. 5 months on going mess.

In part its her fault. Shes too casual about it. Figures they will care enough to eventually fix it. I've already had to ask her to tell whomever I have her permission to speak on her behalf. For the love of God!!!!!

I have to nag her to make as many follow up phone calls as necessary until its fixed. F me.
    Red Rider likes this.
  10. Fatboy128

Re-Read your First Two sentences! Not sure what your saying!!
  11. badinfluence63

You said thankfully you're not in kansas any more. I said i hope to be out there getting it here soon meaning i hope to be out riding alot soon regardless of wind or rain because I am trying to retire. But experiencing some difficulties.
    Red Rider likes this.
  12. Fatboy128

Oh must have been NY-NH-NY translations! LOL
    Red Rider likes this.
  13. badinfluence63

I guess it must have been. Lol
    Red Rider likes this.
  14. badinfluence63

Okay...snowing all day, roads horrible so I left to go to work early because wife left car at 2 bars of gas. I get 12 miles down the road, a mile from town and there's an 18 wheeler sideways in the road. I am about 5 cars back from the truck. no police, no tow truck. I wait 15-18 minutes and now down to 1 bar of gas. Luckily I was idling on the side of a driveway so was able to turn around and head back. Now I could have went a side road or two to go around but I had no gas. Went back the 12 miles to my town to get closest gas station. Then had to go back another 12-15 miles to cut thru yet another 8 miles of a town to get on the interstate. all in messy greasy snowy roads.

Long story short it takes 20 minutes to get to work under normal conditions. It took one hour and 20 minutes. Yes I was late. Could have been avoided if as I have pleaded with my wife to fill tank up at 1/2 a tank. F'ing fuming over here.
  15. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Looks like your gonna have to face it. She thinks it's your job to keep it full. Just check the gas every time you get into the cage. Learn to live with it,stop thinking that you can change a wife's mind.
  16. badinfluence63

Its her car,lol? WTF. I have a truck which i drive most of the time. Since shes not working i take her car in snow storms because its better in the snow. And I do check the gas on the occasion i drive it which isnt often. I had just filled it up last week when it was 1/2 full and i happened to take it.
  17. Fatboy128

Here we've been blessed by a lack of snow so far We had 3 1/2 inches back in early January and it melted the next day. Temps have been above normal all season except for about 8 days spread out through the winter. Lots and lots of rain though. Not complaining. A son and his family moved back here past July after 10 years in AZ to be closer to us. They bought a decent house and now they are moving back to AZ in a week. They hate being grounded by the cold and rain we've had. They forgot what it was like living here. Naturally the wife and I are heart broken since the other 3 boys and their families are also out of state. It was nice having a son and his 3 kids living 15 mins away. Now I only see them maybe twice a year again. Sad
  18. hotroadking

Doesn't matter who's car, ya gotta check the fuel before ya roll LOL

FB why not sell the house in Noo Yawk, get a travel motor home
    hook the bike to the back and travel the USA, see your kids, stay in
    the motorhome, see the country, go to Sturgis, Laconia, Daytona,
  19. badinfluence63

She told me it was only on a couple bars. I knew before I left. Should have been no problem. There usually isn't a 18 wheeler across the road when I go to work. Everything that could go wrong did, short of sliding off the road myself...
    Red Rider likes this.
  20. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I hope ya get that retirement squared away, looking forward to riding with ya. Good luck!