1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Spark Plug Wires

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Tommyc, Apr 27, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I got my wires for free because those are Sumax fiberglass fenders that I have on. All I had to do was send in some pictures of my bike after it was done and they said that I could choose any wire set that I wanted free completely of any charge, even shipping!!

Yes those pipes are loud. At the time of those pics I wasn't running baffles either, but now I am. Just as loud but more torque. :D

I tried the SE wires but they were they wre too short.
  2. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Oh I see. Very cool to get free wires.
  3. JohnnyBiker

I will have to say that I am very impressed with Sumax!! They know how to take care of their customers. I will defiantly go back to them for other services. I was going to send them my CV to have it chromed, but that it something that is going to have to wait for a little while.
  4. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Sounds good.
  5. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

Hey Tommyc, just a thought on your 10mm plug wires it reminded me of a recent problem I had on my 96 FXDL, I went to the screaming eagle 10mm plugs and all was good. Had some later issues and put the bike in the shop (check the "what happened" thread if your interested, and just realized that the bigger wires may have been the cause for my coil cover cutting into them and intermittently grounding, really caused me some headaches:banghead: Might want to check the clearance on yours if you move up to the 10mm:D
  6. JohnnyBiker

I wish I had the room for a coil cover. I am jealous.
  7. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Thanks for the info BG. Although at the risk sounding cocky, I'm sure I would have found that problem. I have had lots of times where my bike would have problems like not starting and it's almost always something simple like not enough gas or fouled spark plugs.
    Also, I don't have any coil covers on my bike at this time.
    By the way, I highly reccomend the Harley screaming eagle wires over ANY other wires. I have tried swapping wires with H-D's and then other brands and there is a noticable difference. I was actually surprised by that. The H-D wires do make a difference.
  8. dirocco

dirocco Member

I found some silvered (instead of tinned) 19 strand copper spark plug wire. I doubt the small decrease in resistance merits the extra expense. What do you guys think?

I need to replace my wires as the coating split and my #2 plug wire popped off when I put the tank back on this Spring.