1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Spark Plugs

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by TopKat, May 4, 2009.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

I know a lot of other Indy shops. Like Texas V-twins in Trinity, Tx. He is a MMI graduate. He runs the Autolite in Harleys too.
  2. cardboard

Picked my 4164 Autolite spark plugs up at O'Rielly auto parts here in Livingston, Tx..
  3. bigalturk1

bigalturk1 New Member

Autolite Plugs

I always run Autolite plugs in my autos trucks or motorcycles.

That don't make me a bad guy...just a smart one!
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

or consistent!!!!!!!!...lol
  5. duhowell

duhowell New Member

I running NGK in my 2005 XL1200 Sportster, and its running great,
  6. cardboard

Both Indy shops and other places I go to like to run NGK in metric bikes. They runn Autolite in Harleys.
  7. bobton5

bobton5 New Member

As some others have stated; Champions. My current set has about 4000 miles on them. I'm going to replace them before our big trip this year for the 'just because' factor. I had NGK before these Champions and I like the Champions, if no other reason than I can pick up the champions at any parts store, anywhere in the US (if needed - LOL). Bob - NE Ohio
  8. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

So what is wrong with the Harley plugs in a Harley?
  9. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

You wanna pay over 5 bucks a plug, go for it!!!:)
  10. FLHTbiker

Anyone know who makes Harleys plugs and what makes them more expensive.
  11. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Champion makes em...more expensive because of the Harley Davidson name printed on em.
  12. cardboard

There's a dude on another forum that come in and talked about
    Autolite Spark Plugs.
    He said they have dynoed Harleys and got 2 hp better with Autolite Exreme Performance plugs. The number for my bike is XS4164
    I'm going to git a pair and try them.

Autolite :: Products : XP Xtreme Performance Spark Plugs
  13. FLHTbiker

I saw the same post from that other guy however Dyno results can vary by even the humidity in the air so I wonder how accurate the results really are. A lot of others on that same forum posted that the stockers worked well for them, others said the autolite plugs seemed to last longer and the ones with the expensive plugs got no better results.
  14. cardboard

I've been runnin Autolite 4164 Plugs.
    Seen the Champions foul out a lot in older bikes. We had the Champion plugs fouling out in a old sportster on a Hill Country run last year. All they had to go back in it was Champion too.
    Know when I used to run Dirt bikes and the champion plugs fouled out we used NGK and they lasted longer.
    Want to run a cleaner burnin plug like the Autolite extreme and see how they run compared to regular plugs. I think the XP Autolite plugs will produce a stronger spark.

As I was sayin in a earler post I have 2 friends with Indy shops, and one is a MMI graduate that was #1 in his class in AZ, and they like Autolite plugs in Harleys I think I will stay with Autolite.
    Just cause HD runs Champion don't make them the best plugs. HD goes with the best deal they can git too.:gah:
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  15. FLHTbiker

Probably kind of like Harley oil, the cheapest bidder wins. I'll have to try the Autolite plugs the next change.
  16. 1WildPig

1WildPig New Member

AutoLite 4265s have the best record in my S&S carbed '97 RoadKing...they actually made it to 10,500 miles in use. The HDs and Champions barely ever made it to 5,000 miles even with cleaning them every 1,500 to 2,000 miles ...

I've got some NGK Iridium IX ( BPR5EIX-11, stock number 2115) in it now and they're doing fine at 4,500 miles - my parts store either didn't have or actually, I believe that they said that these were THE same as AutoLite Iridium plugs...do plug companies buy from and re-lable for one another ??? ... Anyway, I must say that I've not noticed any better running from the bike than the 4265s gave ... and at around $7 each, these will have to run at least 30,000 miles to be cost efficient!
  17. FLHTbiker

Was at the dealership last week and standing at the parts counter. Over heard a conversation between another guy and one of the parts guys about spark plugs. The HD parts guy was really pushing the SE plugs on this guy telling they are advanced over all other plugs, will lost longer than the stock plugs and will out perform all others. It was all I could do to keep from telling him, go buy an autolite plugs and save your money. I would have said something to him except the parts guy pulled him off to one side really working on him.
    they didn't what I wanted anyway so I left thinking that I'm sure glad I know about Bike Talk and the good info you can pick up now and then.