1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sportster engine cases.

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Roadster guy, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Finally had parts arrive, one new primary case in chrome finish, forward controls in chrome finish, new exhaust pipe gaskets for the head pipes and the crossover pipe(needed to put 2-1 exhaust on hold due to home renos, :( ), and while I was there picked up a Series 1 print offered by HD recently. Walked out a bit over a grand lighter in the wallet.
    Once we get some days above -30C, I might be able to get motivated enough to assemble some of this stuff. Print looks nice on the wall in the study for now...
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

At -3o I bet yer lock title is frozen
  3. Roadster guy

Yes, between the loctite not setting up properly and the primary fluid likely not flowing well, I'm going to have to wait until March or April to see if I remember where all the pieces go.
  4. Roadster guy

Followed steps in my H-D workshop service manual, all assembled. New chrome pieces look great. Added proper level of oil and primary fluid, rotated engine several times by hand, set the primary chain tension to spec, measured at several different places along chain, installed battery and test fired. Ran great in shop for 10-15mins. May 3rd was finally into warmer weather, most salt is rinsed off roads, and the biggest potholes are filled. Went for a quick drive, after a few miles the top end got a tick which quickly became a clack, and finally some rocker assembly parts knocking around. Sounds like the top end lost oil pressure. Not a good start to summer.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

That sucks big time, hope you figure it out...
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yea that does suck and sounds like you have a bit of a project on your hands.
  7. Roadster guy

Optimistically, the best biking around here starts around end of June to end of September, so I still have time. From the sounds of the noise, I'm expecting this to be a bit painful of a bill. Going to the dealer next week for diagnosis. At this point if I take it apart I may not find my mistake and may repeat it with the new parts. I will be having them tear it down and fill me in on where I screwed up.
  8. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

That Sux...Hope it's something simple...
  9. Roadster guy

Called local dealer today, (Wednesday, appt. for diagnosis was Monday) to see if they had a chance to look at it yet. No rush, as the weather is cold and rainy now. Service writer tells me " Yep, all fixed and ready to go!" I can't figure out how it is fixed and I had no call with estimate.?.?.
    Apparently they cross referenced all the parts I bought and realized the cam box cover gasket I was provided with did not match the part number I paid for. A difference in one of the oiling passages in the gasket to the front lifter block reduced oil flow to the lifter, not allowing it to prime up fully, and hence, clicks and rattles and finally knocks. They covered all related repairs. I was blown away.
    Since it was there, I am having the rear pad set replaced and the brake fluid changed, and check my primary chain tension.