1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Stage 1 kit

Discussion in 'CVP Stage 1 Tuners Kit' started by tim, Jun 14, 2007.

1. rich264

rich264 New Member

hi, i have 2004 ,883 sportster with the stage 1 kit with cycle-shack slip-ons. the bike runs great ,but like you i still have the burps. my harley dealer told me they could run a dyno check and mybe change jets.OR buy a new carb I DONT THINK SO ,i guess ill live it.
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hi Rich, did you install the kit with the EZ-Just or just using the stock mixture screw? If using the stock screw try backing it out an additional 1/8 turn. The EZ-Just has a longer taper to the needle tip and can actually be backed out further. Either way, adjusting the mixture should help alleviate that "burp" condition.
  3. swampdragon

swampdragon New Member

Which needle is in your current kit? The older one, or a newer one like in this old post?
  4. kenfuzed

Depends which model/year you specify. There are a few variations based on the selection made.
  5. Lttle Rick

Lttle Rick New Member

Hello..still trying to get my carb dialed in...gas mileage is better..idles smooth...but backfiring at start up probably 30% of the time. Suggestions?
  6. kenfuzed

Backfires at startup? Does it only do this when first started, warming up, or after running? Does it backfire while the choke is pulled out?

Typically backfires can be traced to exhaust leaks or intake leaks. Double check your exhaust flanges. If you are running drag pipes without baffles then you may not be able to avoid a certain amount of backfiring on occasion.
  7. Lttle Rick

Lttle Rick New Member

When it's hot Ken. It's backfiring when it's hot. I checked for intake leaks before installing kit...checked it with...propane tank...there didn't appear to be an intake leak. Thanks.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2009
  8. kenfuzed

I think you may have an exhaust leak. Its hard to track down and sometimes easier to replace the exhaust flange gaskets as a precaution rather than try to detect the leak.

When cooler air gets drawn back into a leaking exhaust (or one not baffled) the result is a backfire.
  9. Lttle Rick

Lttle Rick New Member

Thanks buddy...I probably just need to snug up the exhaust bolts...the pipes and gaskets were recently replaced(a month ago) and the pipes have not been removed...could the backfiring possibly have damaged the gaskets?
  10. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Propane tank?? I just spray a little WD40 to check the intake...if it affects the running I have a leak....Tell me more about the propane tank...I have not heard of that....thanks James
  11. kenfuzed

My own personal rule of thumb for exhausts is if I remove the pipes for any reason I replace those gaskets. They tend to get deformed easily and are not that expensive. I like the SE gaskets, they seem to seal really well.
  12. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

one other thing on exhausts.....use hd clamps and torque to specs! aftermarkets clamps dont seem to hold up.....
  13. alaitken

alaitken New Member

For chucktx: I'm also installing the CVP Stage I and I wonder why I need to drill out the small hole next to the needle hole with the drill bit supplied with the kit. Do I absolutely need to do this step? What happens if I skip this step? alaitken
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2009
  14. chucktx

no, you dont need or want to drill out the hole. if you do it will probably make the slide flutter.....stay stock with the slide hole
  15. kenfuzed

The drill bit is just small enough to clean up that vacuum hole. It's not as large as the 1/8" bit others recommend, which is too large and has been known to cause the slide to surge up and down during rapid acceleration/deceleration.

You can skip this step if you prefer.
  16. chucktx

ken is correct....i didnt know which drillbit you were going to use.....i just cleaned mine with a pipecleaner and carb cleaner.............i have also drilled the hole with the bigger bit and my slide did flutter pretty bad.....replaced slide with a stock one
  17. alaitken

alaitken New Member

This is all very good information guys. Thanks very much. I'll let you know how she runs with the Stage I kit without drilling out the vacuum hole. But I will clean it out good with a pipe cleaner and carb cleaner first. alaitken
  18. kenfuzed

DO NOT get any carburetor cleaner near the rubber diaphragm! It will damage or weaken the rubber and could eventually crack. If this is a "oops too late" moment and you already used cleaner, lightly rub the diaphragm with some Vaseline and then wipe completely off.

After reading that last sentence I would be amiss if I didn't throw in... "That's what she said" :roflmao:
  19. chucktx

hehehehehe...............
  20. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Chuck - The instructions for my needle didn't say if you had to put the 3 washers on the needle. I've got the needle set at 4 grooves down.
    Using a big sucker kit from Aelen Ness and baffleed relief on my stock mufflers. Also the instructions said to turn the EZ needle out three turns, but I noticed in one of your posts - you said 2 turns to start. I just got the carb back together but haven't put it back on the bike yet.
    Question do I use the three washers now or run without them until needed?