1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Stage 1 kit

Discussion in 'CVP Stage 1 Tuners Kit' started by tim, Jun 14, 2007.

1. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i would start with the ez screw out 2 turns, then adjust 1/8 at a time until the cough is gone......do this with a warmed engine. i did it along side the road. i started with 2 washers.......and that is what i ended up with. each will be different. to me half the fun is the testing and dialing in what works best for my bike. after the second time removing the carb from my bike, i was able to remove it along side the road in just a few minutes and make adjustments....adding/subtracting washers....then get back on and ride to see what i did/did not accomplish. kens ez screw is one of the best ideas for a cv in quite a time!!!!!! no more fabbed screwdrivers and burnt fingers!!! have fun with it and let us know how it goes....
  2. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Thanks Chuck - I'll be installing it tomrrow and I'll post the results.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

you may also have to adjust the needle hight....it may be to far down in the hole....
  4. alaitken

alaitken New Member

Oooops! I'll get the vaseline.

alaitken
  5. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Sarge, if you have a needle that uses clips you don't have the Stage 1 kit talked about in this thread. If not let me know so I can sort this into it's own message, which it easier for others to find.
  6. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Kenfuzed - I checked out the box- it's a dyno jet kit - also installed the Dakota kid fuel pedstal and the Arlen Ness big sucker kit. I gotta hand it to Arlen; the way they worked the backing plate to elimate to oil tubes was really a boss job, no more oil in the filter problems.
    Once I get it dailed in I am putting the new fancy grips on. More chrome makes it look good when yer waiting along the road, don't make go faster ya just arrive in style. nespa?
  7. kenfuzed

Ok that makes sense now. This thread and particular forum category was for support of the Stage 1 kit from CV Performance which doesn't use the old clip style needle.

Glad to hear you got it all together.
  8. SteveO

SteveO New Member

Own a 2003 Low Rider 80-CI, and recently installed a recommended complete stage one kit. K&N complete air intake system, Vance & Hines Straight Shooter pipes, and a Harley Performance carb upgraxde kit which included a larger main & pilot jet, diaphram etc. I purchased this kit from Harley-Performance .com After much internet research this was the only carb upgrade from a company with 25 + years of experience for this one upgrade. I removed the carburator, followed the basic instructions, and when all was done the bike fired up instantly, idled perfect at 850 all day, and the low, Mid, and High range are all absolute perfection. The instructions tell you exactly how many turns to back out the upgraded thumb mixture screw, and everything else is non adjustable. If you want to upgrade your CV carbutator to stage 1, than this is the kit I would recommend. Get the deluxe kit for $52.95 which includes the easy turn mixture screw, required drill bits etc. It's a very easy install. One piece of advice. When you go to remove the old jets, be sure to have a clean common screwdriver that fits the top of the jet head perfect because if you strip out the screw head than ur screwed bigtime. If it calls for a #1 common, use a #1 common. Harley-Performance.Com Just my 2 cents
  9. alaitken

alaitken New Member

Running Suberb

I agree with SteveO...I installed the Harley CV Performance Stage I Upgrade kit on my 2002 Wide Glide and the hesitations during acceleration are now gone. Strangly, the bike sounds a little different now than the typical Harley sound it had before...still a Harley sound...just a little different. But with the new idle thumb screw backed off 2 1/8 turns from seat and the new stock numbered jets and new needle, the engine runs superb during solid acceleration through all gears. I've gotten only one mild backfire when I rapidly reduced throttle and clutched from an accelerating condition, but otherwise no problems at all. The CV Performance kit was the answer. One thing I did not do while installing the kit is drill out the vacuum hole in the slider...but I did make sure everything was clean. alaitken
  10. CD

CD Guest

Errr, AHHH, not to brag but that baby and the elbow was my puppy. Invented both in about '96 after I got tired of frying my forearms tweaking idle mixtures for AZ stupid EPA tests... That and every other frigging time you wanted to remove the fuel line... crack! Dakota Kid designed the pedestal and actually used a flow bench and something like 100 hours of testing and umpteen variations on the idea. Their Dakota Kid carbs made some serious HP for a CV. It's interesting to see that Bob Yost knocked off my stuff after we (Direct Parts) helped him get on the map in the first place.... :angry:
  11. kenfuzed

Yes, and let me just add there are several other knock-offs of the mixture screw being sold out there (V-Twin Mfg, any through Drag Specialties) but only the "EZ-Just" originate from CD's unique design.