1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Stage 1 upgrade question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by dmassey, Oct 17, 2009.

1. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

I'm not familiar with the pot style SE Race Fueler. How does that differ from the Race Tuner?
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Adjustments are made by turning the pots with a screwdriver instead of downloading a map. Similar to the Doebeck TFI or RevTec DFO same thing. The SE fueler has one more rpm crossover pot than the TFI or DFO . The SE Race Fueler has 3 fuel adjustment pots, 2 rpm crossover pots and 1 accelerator pump pot.
    Here's a link for the TFI and explains how pot style fuelers work. The only reason I bought the SE Fueler is I got one new on Ebay for $50,
    EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection
  3. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I think that one of the tuners would be nice to have even on a stock bike. After reading about them and watching the video I understand them a little better. If they truly work like they say it would be just like having a carburetor and you could tune it for what ever application you may have.
    Don’t be afraid to try it, if it doesn’t work for you sell it and try something else, or be like the rest of us with boxes of stuff we have tried and didn’t like.:)
    :)
  4. Lucifer

The K&N they sent you, is it a K&N stock replacement ?? If it is there's not much of an airflow increase if any at all, a Ness Big sucker or a SE breather kit will increase the airflow, hard to say if your drilled stock pipes will give an increase in exhaust flow or just increase sound.
    Your V&H fuelpack should do the job you want, no need to trade a fueler for a fueler, if you're gonna ditch the fuelpak I'd go for the PCV, freeflow breather kit. Ness & SE can use stock cover and go with some of the pipes suggested earlier, then you will notice a good increase in torque.
    The fuelers are just that....add fuel only, which is all you need for stage1.
  5. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Thanks for the explanation. I hadn't heard of that. So is the SE race fueler and fueler along the same lines as the cobra Fi200R and the Arlen Ness Short Shot (I think that's the right name)? They use tuning pots but don't have the crossovers. Hadn't heard of the Doebeck or RevTec items either. I really need to get out more.
  6. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

The video gives a good explanation and I like the load based technology. The Arlan Ness unit is load based too.
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Again you need to consider as Lucifer said your future plans,

If this is all you think you'll ever do then the V&H and DFO style units will let you increase fuel, and you still might want to get it dyno tuned because if you get it wrong you'll simply waste fuel, you can tell as your mileage will suffer at cruise and throttle response will suck so to a point on a pot based tuner you can get it close.

Remember you can only add fuel to the base map with these, you cannot reduce fuel, in some cases you might with certain combination's,

These units (Pot type) work on the presumption that all bikes are lean at all positions of throttle. That isn't necessarily true.

It may be fine for stage 1 filter and pipes, any of the less expensive tuners, however, JMO, if you are going to spend $200 for a V&H, kick it up a bit and get the base Powercommander so that you have the option to change timing, fuel etc.

That way you don't buy the same thing twice then get to sell your pot device to a guy on ebay for $50 which shows the seller lost out...

Id still opt for a TTS Mastertune on any later model Twin cam, it's got everything you need including the ability to display the codes if set by the engine, throttle position tuning cell by cell, V/E Ratio, cold start, idle, rpm limit, etc.

Btw that pot unit will not let you change your RPM limiter from the low factory setting,
  8. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Well I won't be doing the fuel upgrade on the Heritage. We just got home from a late supper after leaving the Harley dealership at 6:30. We looked at and road tested the FLHTK, I think they called it an Ultra Classic Limited, Sunday afternoon but the sales manager that was there wanted me to give him the Heritage so we left - not angry, just left because I had other business to attend. Anyhow we got a call from the dealership manager today whom I have known for a while and - long story short - he had worked up some new numbers with perks that were much more agreeable so there's a 2010 FLHTK on the carport now. Guess I'll still be doing a fuel upgrade next spring becasue the guy that does the local dyno tuning claims he can drop the rear cylinder head temp in excess of 100 degrees using the Super Tuner. The stock mufflers have a pretty good sound too. The 103 is a lot more torquier in the lower three so that'll be a plus around here in the foothills of the Smokies. I stayed with the Black Ice by getting two tone Black Ice and Black.
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Congrets on the new ride , where's the pic's ?:D
  10. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Congratulations on the new ride, they are great for 2 up riding, and I hear the 103 is a great motor. You sure solved the dilemma of which tuner to get for the Heritage.:):)
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Congrats dmassey, friend of mine just purchased one last weekend. He got the black and blue model. Loves the bike and says he to noticed a lot more torque than his 08 ultra had. Hope you enjoy.

The mufflers on the 2010 do sound more throaty, not to bad for a stock bike.
  12. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

:worthless:
  13. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Whe I get home from work guess I'll have to blow the dust off the old Sony digital and get a pic to post. Thanks for shaing in our excitement.
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

congrats on the new ride!
  15. TM103

TM103 Active Member

Congrats on the new ride. That is one gorgous ride. Enjoy:D:D
  16. Lucifer

yeah, congrats:), sweet ride...post a few pics
  17. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Check out the Photo Gallery for the pic of our new ride. Our faces sort of smudged but let's face - you want to see the bike LOL................. Will post more later.
    Danny
  18. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

lets bring it up front!!!!! hope ya dont mind!

Attached Files:

19. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Glad you done the. I wasn't sure how to.
  20. TM103

TM103 Active Member

Man, that is nice!:D