1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

stalling

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by kidd, Jun 18, 2004.

1. kidd

kidd New Member

I have a 03 heritage efi that is all stock. On hot days (80 to 90deg) after a long ride when coming to a stand still or idle the bike wants to run ruff or turn off if you dont keep the idle up. I thought HD test these bike at hot conditions and should not stall in these conditions.
  2. ffflhtcui

ffflhtcui New Member

I don't know if your Heritage has a tach or not but it should be idling warm at about 950-1050 rpm. An inductive type tach would be better to set this by. The warm idle screw adjustment is located behind the air filter through a hole in the rear plastic filter housing on the right side. But, since the bike is pretty new, I would let the local HD shop tech set this for you. Seems like that would be included in the warranty.

My new Ultra was running at 265 F in the air conditioned HD shop at idle. Harley says this is normal even though their service manual says normal operating temp is 230 F. I can't imagine how hot it runs on the asphalt on a 90 F day. Since we have about 8 months of 90 F days here, it is too hot and I'm not happy at all with this bike I bought for "comfort". None of my 3 other twin cams ran near this hot. I don't know what conditions HD tests these bikes under.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You might consider syn oil in the ultra and adding an oil cooler, if you have the lowers take them off in the summer months, they really hold in the heat.

Rode one in the winter months here and had to take of the coat.

As far as the heritage you should have the idle screw checked that it's in the right position sounds like a good starting point, they could also run a scan on it to see if any sensor is setting a code like a engine temp sensor
  4. kidd

kidd New Member

I didnt know if there was a sensor to tell the motor to slow down the idle to save the engine from overheating and the engine is just shutting off.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2004