1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Starter swap

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Razor, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Razor

Razor Member

I have a new starter to replace the defective OEM starter. It seems like a pretty straightforward job on a 97 heritage softail classic. Open primary, remove top pipe, loosen oil tank, swap starter, replace gaskets. Anyone have any advise or issues to keep in mind before I get started? The manual says that you may have to loosen mounting bolts for oil tank to remove the starter. I'm assuming that I don't have to drain the tank or remove any hoses. Any advise would be appreciated.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the factory service manual is pretty much the bible.......it is correct 99.9% of the time. i would trust it. you should not have to drain the tank or remove hoses.............unless someone replaced a hose and routed it in a different than stock location. i have seen that before..........
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Loosen the oil tank, no need to take any hoses off.... using a long ball end socket makes it easier to get through the hoses and on the bolt
  4. Razor

Razor Member

Thanks Chucktx.
  5. Razor

Razor Member

Thanks Lucifer. That's what I was hopping for.
  6. Razor

Razor Member

Does anyone know if I have to remove the clutch shell to remove the starter or to get the aftermarket starter in? I didn't consider having to do it because the Harley service manual does not direct you to remove it. It simply says to remove jackshaft bolt and lockplate and them remove the starter from the right side of the cycle. It does tell you to remove the clutch to take out the entire jackshaft. I'm hoping I don't have to remove the clutch.
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

nope, clutch basket and all stays where it is.......
  8. Razor

Razor Member

Thanks for the insight.
  9. Razor

Razor Member

Just so I get the entire picture, I have one more question before I remove the primary cover. I'm assuming that when I take off the lockplate clip and the jackshaft bolt, the jackshaft stays in the inner primary. I remove the starter from the other side and install the new coupling on the starter gear. Then slide the new starter in place. I believe that I don't have to remove the clutch because I don't have to remove the jackshaft.