1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Starter went out

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Jul 19, 2010.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

one big problem is HD keeps changing everything makin it harder for the after market.
    On a Stock EFI bike. A Thundermax A/T will make it perform and run cooler.
    Put one on my buddys new bike, 1st thing he said, was it pulled harder.
    His bike is stock except for the TM right now. He hasn't changed anything.

With a Thundermax you can do whatever you want to a bike.

I ain't a rich dude. I work for everything I git. just like to make the bike perform better. Ain't got a whole lot esle to do.
  2. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

hmmm maybe that's a plus.... maybe the bikes don't need much except a little more fuel... maybe there is big gains to be made without breaking the bank.
  3. cardboard

Yep !

You can put a Thundermax on. It will give more fuel and adjust for the bikes reading. Plus give you more power.
    Then if you want to change the pipes and air kit. It will adjust for it.
    Later on if you git rich, you might want to stick some cams in.
    The Thundermax will cover you again.

What you want to do is yer personal choice.

But EPA is tough on a bike.
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Ya but ain't the T max about $950 thats kinda high ,I could change over to a carb system for less & not have to worry about it ,I like the way the efi runs ,but what a pain in the wallet to get it right ,it cost so much for each tuner & some you need to have them dynoed :eek::cussing:
  5. cardboard

Thats for the Throttle by Wire model.
    For yer bike its a lot cheaper.
    A cheap tuner don't do what a good tuner will do either.
    And you want to leave fuel injectors, and go to a carb, with Float,, jets , needle and all. To me it going backward.
  6. cowboy

I run the PC 3 on my 03 $400, dynoed $200 still not running right the good folks at PC said I shouldent need to remap or redyno just for the cams I put in & now she runs a bit to warm for me ,I did call Bryan at fuelmoto today & talked to him he said he was going to send me a map to all thats done to my bike if it don't work I'am going to start looking for a wireing harness & carb set up & go back to basics as I know it works & has been proven for many yaars
  7. cardboard

Yea if'n yer not careful you might just burn a Hole in a piston. But the money to git a good tuner is too expensive..I understand......
    Keep a check on yer plugs.
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Fuel moto is pretty good with maps they actually put a bike on the dyno and
    get the map done.

The problem with HD's are there is a bazillion different combos, you have 8 or 12 cam manuf, with every cam different, 20 cams each for TC's, then you have 88, 95, 98, 103, 106, 107, 110, 113, 116, 117, 124, 127, 131, 145 and that's just TC engines.

Now lets add in heads, baisley, HD, SE, Bishops, we can go on and on with all the head porters out there.

Now, take your 88, change cams, with stock heads, then, someone elses heads, then cam again, then lets put in 9.5 pistons, then 10.5 pistons, wait we need a new HPI 45MM throttle body, does it have HD injectors, HD SE injectors, who's air filter, what about pipes, does anyone want to even start on the possibilities with pipes.

And then you get people talking about how easy it should be to tune a 45 degree weird firing sequence, 50 head, 100 cam, 20 intake, 5 injector, 200 air filter, 200 pipe combination's so you can bolt on anything you like and just ride LOL

Consider that and you might understand the issues that come about, and even CB's beloved TMAX has issues, because it all must start with the proper base map, and then tune up from there.

So, if you are going to make a change, it's best you stick with a proven package with EFI bikes and you'll find a tune that won't break the bank...

Even then a proven combo might have issues and a dyno needed.

Some things just don't work together well...
  9. cardboard

Hmmmmmmmm

Know they ain't the best around. But R&R put my combo together with me chosing the cams......
  10. hotroadking

that's my point, its a very large possibility of combination possibilities..

RNR has a combo but you wanted to choose cam
    and you had two choices as well and skipped the woods 408-44?
  11. cardboard

Bob Woods suggested I go with the TW6 since most of my riding is two up and I got a heavy bike, over the 408-44
    Why which cam do you like best that will come in right off idle and pull all the way to 5500
  12. hotroadking

either is good, I would have probably advanced the 6-6 4 degrees for more bottom end.

or an andrews tw 55/48

However my point was really regarding the tuning of a bike, you could build your bike and get it setup tuned then make a change and bam you are off to the dyno or find you put in a cam that doesn't work well at some RPM with the pipes you have...

lots of combos out there
  13. cardboard

Had it dynoed a year ago. Seemed to come out worst than the can map Jamie at Fuel Moto gave me.:rant:
    Ya know its hard to find anybody that knows how to dyno a map here.
  14. cowboy

cardboard now your getting the point That I made HRK spelled it out right,I'am running the 88 TC with andrews tw26 cams V&H true dules head pipes & Hollowed out stock mufflers(3,1/2 in round) with big city baffles & SE air clearner the rest is stock & except for the cams this is how my bike was when it was dynoed like I said the good floks at PC said I should not have to redyno with the cam I put in ,But to me the rear cyl runs a little to warm for me ,I have talked to many other shops that have dynos & they all say about the same thing as PC , I did call motofuel & they just sent me a map for all listed above I will try it out & have a dyno run to make sure it set right if not the efi is comming off & a carb is going on
  15. cardboard

Because we want a 20,000 motorcycle and we want a 200.00 tune job.
    That's the problem. Nothing to do with the tune job if its done right.
    Its about now wanting to spend money. So we suffer the consquences for going cheap.
    And yer sittin on a air cooled motor. of course the rear cylinder is gonna put off more heat.

Sounds like the carb is the answer like the gear drive cams are.

If you don't like push button startin, put a carb on. I will not go back.
  16. hotroadking

Carb isn't the answer, you'll have tuning issues with it as well
    and probably mask the problem with a too rich jet ending up with crappy fuel mileage.

If you have too much rear cyl heat, then timing is the key, you need to remove some
    from the map....
  17. cardboard

Cowboy can't hear, he's lookin at the money he has,. Just like me. And not willing to spend.
    Had a buddy that it just cost him a engine on a road king too.

Cowboy has I think a PCIII
    I have a PCV

Neither or us is as talented as you HotRoadKing, we don't know how to remove timing nor how much...........

Hello........
  18. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

all ya got to do is just listen to what he has to say.....he is spot on......tellin ya bout the same as i do. but, fix one problem at a time....quit throwin your money at 50 different things at one time.....get the starter problem fixed.......then move on. once the starter is fixed the other imagined problems will probably disappear!!!:)
  19. cardboard

Man I willl have a 1.4 kw All Balls starter here on my front door like monday.
    Got a trackin number for it.
  20. cowboy

keith at moto fuel sent me a map via email today ,I will try to get it in over the weekend ,& over to my indy dyno shop after that ,
    cardboard like I said above I like the way the efi works , It's all the darn HIGH DOLLAR stuff to keep it up right ,& yes I have the PC111 ,& yes mabe the new cams has thrown the timing off a bit not sure & not sure how to take the timing out or in for the rear cyl CB I had harleys for 40 years & know the rear will run a bit warmer the the front ,But like I said the rear on mine is a bit to warm for me , something is not right there , Not sure if can get to it this weekend but will try ,I had about 400 lbs of sheet rock & other stuff fall & hit my lower back side (i was bent over & it jammed My head into a wall & slid down my left leg,(it was my fault for not playing saftey first:banghead: ) I'am fine just sore as all get out