1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Stock ignition coil

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Tommyc, May 24, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

TommyC, I was looking over the thread and curious as to why you haven't just done a resistance test on the wires before you spend more money???? By this I mean the wires that are coming from the ignition to the coil etc....?
  2. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I'm not sure what you mean JB? How do I do that and what will it tell me?
  3. JohnnyBiker

By doing a resistance test it will tell you if your wires are bad....You can almost pin point it exactly where the short is. Take a resistance meter, place the prong at one point on the wire, then the prong at a different point on the wire. If you show an open circuit then you know that the short is not in that given section of wire.....You can go in however big of intervals you want.....
  4. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Oh you mean to find the short? I fixed that already.Thanks.
  5. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

How do I adjust the new set of points? I have heard about putting a cigarette pack celephane in between them and when it pulls out the are set properly, is this true??
  6. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

use a feeler gauge, from what I remember points on an old Chevy set at around .016, not sure on thatthough it has been 50 years since I set any points. man I'm old....:cool:
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

.016/.017..........thickness of a match book.......and old chev. points are good to go!
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

That's if you can still find a match book :D
  9. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Excellent. Thanks guys. It seems like you have to be a smoker to be able to set points properly. I guess I will have to ask my Mom to do it for me. Ha! I quit smoking 1 1/2 ago! Best thing I ever did! My wife and I have saved almost $7,000 since then. The BullSh1t adds up!
  10. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Excellent. Thanks guys. It seems like you have to be a smoker to be able to set points properly. I guess I will have to ask my Mom to do it for me. Ha!
  11. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Anyone out there have any experience with the Dyna S ignitions? They are pretty cheap $160. I need to replace mine. Should I go cheap and just replace it or go with a better newer ignition like a Dyna 2000i $250?
  12. JohnnyBiker

An SE selectable......:cool:
  13. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

the dyna 2000 series is a great system, get there coil to.
  14. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Here's a Dyna 2000i ignition with a different logo and a lower price...I have the Dyna 2000i in my '90 Heritage,only because they weren't producing them for Ultima at the time...they are very good.

Programmable Ignition
  15. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Ha-ha! Celephane? Kinda thin. My manual says .018 for the 70's shovels. Tommy, I quit cigarettes in '72 and figure I could buy a house now with the money I saved.
  16. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

It's a good feeling when you think about how much you saved and how much healthier you are from quitting smoking.
  17. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I opened up the ignition on my red bike, it's aelectronic, Dyna S. I talked with Dynatek, they said send it back and they will test it for me. If it's bad they will make me a killer deal on a replacement! Sweet, so that's what I did! Hopefully I will get a new one for nothing or next to nothing. I do have to replace the timing advance weights tho, they are totally worn and fried! They are almost falling apart. It looks like they grease fell out and they were rubbing metal to metal which caused them to wear out. I will let you guys know what happens next.
  18. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I hope it works out for you. Make sure you get American made advance weights and springs. I've heard that the foreign made ones have inferior metalurgy (like much of their other stuff).
  19. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Sounds right to me. American made is good quality. The ones I have on there are worn to the point that the parts that pivot on pins are so worn that they are about to fall apart. Must be foreign made junk.
  20. JohnnyBiker

Or just really old?????:rolleyes: