1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Stock Ignition Module

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 03LD, Jun 26, 2016.

1. 03LD

03LD Member

Hello all, has anyone came across a stock ignition for a 88cid TC causing too much spark advance?

The timing mark going by the ground strap is about a 1/16" from the base ring on the plug. I am thinking that is is too much timing for the combination and the spark plugs have some balls of aluminum on the firing side of the ground strap. The old plugs had it all down the porcelain.
    The bike I think might have some aftermarket camshafts-- no information on cams at all, K&N style filter, a 2-1 Cycle Shack header, the plugs are NGK DCPR8ES.

Jetting is 190 main, 46 slow jet and a shimmed older sportster needle and the A/F screw is 2-1/8 turns out. Idles about 850 or so.
    I have not heard any pinging /knocking or anything but from what I know the plugs are showing too much timing and signs of detonation. The top ring has a full circle of color and the exhaust ports are showing a bit rich also.
    any info would be great ! thanks
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Those NGK plugs are one step colder than stock. So I'm just guessing with the info that you have a hopped up motor with aftermarket cam and raised compression running a stock ignition that has a little too much advance for the motor combo.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

For a stock engine no, but for one with cams etc most likely.

Go rent a compression tester from an autoparts store if you don't
    have one, see what the pressure is in both cylinders.

You could get a cam cover gasket, drop the exhaust headers
    pull the cam cover and the outer chain plus gears and see
    what model the cam is (possibly) generally aftermarkets
    stamp the end of the cam journals that show through the cam
    plate.

Its also a good time to inspect the cam shoes for the tensioners
    and replace them if work.