1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Stock Needle?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Oct 14, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Again, I am assuming when he was on the dyno he was not being easy on the acceleration. I am sure he was trying to get there as fast as possible and that is why I am more inclined to listen to what he is telling me about the needle rather than the pilot. I can ask him how he throttled the bike while on the dyno. If he tells me that he babied it until that point, (4800 rpm) then I will change out that pilot myself immediately., but I have this suspicion that that is not the case and then the needle is where my issue is.
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

OK....I was just looking at your AFR chart....regardless of how fast the throttle was wound up,you still went through all the fuel circuits and it wasn't until you were on main jet only when it started going lean...
  3. JohnnyBiker

So are you agreeing or disagreeing? it is a weird situation. I have to adjust both ends but considering how I ride, I need to give it fuel in hard acceleration and that is where I am lacking. Again, my indy is saying that I am too fat when I am transitioning hence the needle.
  4. Lucifer

If you guys are 100% sure the 46 is the right pilot jet,then you can start playing with the needles to find the right one...assuming the 46 is correct,definitely the needle is wrong...
    It's just not the way I'd go about it,I go from the bottom up and assume nothing...I find what jet is too lean,then go up 1 size and verify that one is correct,same with the main jet...IMO you can't get the right needle until you're sure you have the right pilot,because it doesn't shut off like a switch at 1/4 throttle
  5. JohnnyBiker

I know for a fact that the 44 pilot that I had in it was wrong. That is when we put the 46 in. I keep asking my indy if we should try the 45 and he just does not want to do it. He flat out said that if I wanted my bike to cough and sputter then sure we can do it. I am going to take his word for it. Since the dyno runs he has said nothing but to get that needle out of it (N65c) He is pretty passionate about this one. Trust me, I understand that there is a period of overlap between the pilot, needle and then the main.

Here is a question for you. Are you guys saying that my indy is wrong because you all keep thinking that I have "performance pipes" on it??
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

:D well...........

Attached Files:

7. Lucifer

Well, were all thousands of miles away from the bike,your indy is doing the work and has it in his shop...since he's the guy tuning it,let him tune it...
    I just suggested the 45 with the N65C needle because of the big "fat" dip in your chart which is where the N65C needle richens the mixture to eliminate the cough and stumble in the low/mid transition with stock jetting(45 is stock in most apps)
  8. JohnnyBiker

I get what you are saying but I am going to trust his judgement and go what it is that he suggests. all of this tuning is almost for free so I it isn't like I am out of a lot money and riding time. It is the end of the season, getting really cold so I am not in huge hurry? I did just get off of the phone with my dealer talking about a set of Pro Streets though. :) He is sending me a quote today..
  9. JohnnyBiker

I have been on the phone extensively with my dealer trying to figure out what the stock needle was for my carb. As there was no surprise there that they were not able to get that info, Bagger Paul had given me a number to a place that carries authentic Hd stuff and also that has an HD adjustable needle. Are these adjustable needles legit? I am asking this because my indy wants to put one in and I am a little nervous about it because it is from a company out east somewhere called Cycle Werks???? One of the main things that bothers me about it is that I have to use their emulsion tube if I use their needle. Again, do I have reason to be concerned??
  10. Lucifer

Funny the dealer doesn't have a parts catalog for your Sporty there:rolleyes:

You won't need them(dealer) when your Parts Catalog arrives...When it does check if the 883 and 1200 needles are the same,if not and you use a HD needle go with the 1200's..

Your indy seems to like using the adjustable needle kit he wants you to get so I wouldn't be concerned about it...none of the mods to the carb are permanent so if you don't like it,it's pretty easy to change back...
  11. JohnnyBiker

usually me dealer can get me what it is that I need. My Cat. should be in early next week so I am excited for that. :D
  12. JohnnyBiker

I talked to my indy shortly yesterday and asked if since I have changed pipes if I should drop my pilot down to a 45... He said NO...:wtf: There is just something there that he does not want that pilot touched.. :D Whatever I guess.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

hmm now what did we tell you in your
    I have new pipes with no pictures for you all thread...
  14. JohnnyBiker

He said it was ok to drop the main so I did that.... What else you talking about...

Haven't you all seen a set of pipes before???
  15. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Now go to the pipes with no pictures thread

read the responses

same thing was said to you don't touch it now.
    but you did, it really doesnt' matter what you
    do with the jets but you did work you might
    not have had to do, when you get the mystery
    pipes on the bike you'll figure it out.
  16. JohnnyBiker

It wasn't that much to change them, real easy and quick. :D Oh well, my bike and I like to tinker so darn, I had some fun....:banghead::D
  17. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

:rolleyes:
    Dude you kind of remind me of someone that is in high school:rolleyes:
  18. JohnnyBiker

Today I finally got to take WhipLash out with the different 190 main jet. I am confident, based on feel of the bike that I have found the combination that I need. I did not change the pilot as recommended and I did not even have to change the idle mix. I brought WhipLash up to 100 miles per hour and she wanted to keep pulling. I am pleased but I need to wait to see what the dyno tells me. Thank You gentleman...:cool:
  19. JohnnyBiker

I have to say that I am just impressed with the set up that I now have. Based again on how Whip feels when I take her out for a ride, I do think that the 190 main is the way to go. I took her out on Tuesday to take Whip to the Doc for a check up to see what her feeding habits are doing and I just am so impressed with how she responds when that throttle is rolled on.

Before the new pipes and the jet, there was acceleration but not like this. There is a completely different feeling with Whip and one that is welcomed. Too bad that I have to wait a few months before I can get out and enjoy on a consistent basis, but sometimes the anticipation is just s much fun....

Again, thanks to all you gave their very much needed opinions...:cool:
  20. JohnnyBiker

This chart is a little difficult to interpret. If you look at the left margin, the key indicates the word "rich" then as you go down you will see a descending set of numbers that goes all the way to zero the it indicate the word "lean." OK, so does that mean that the needles that have no number designation are "in the middle?"