1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Stock Needle?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is a little tough.... did you find your stock needle or the 1200 sporty needle part number in the list??
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well, the N65c needle is listed there and that was the reason for me to post what I did. Yes, I am confident that I found the stock needle for my bike now it is just a matter of being able to find it so I can purchase it. One thing that I am still finding difficult and I have been asking around is that "what is the relationship of the taper measurement." Smaller taper mean that it is a richer needle, then bigger taper mean that it is a leaner needle????
  3. Lucifer

I meant in the chart...Is the part number for the 883 needle and 1200 needle the same?? And on the list?? Can you post the part numbers for them??

A thicker diameter needle is lean,thinner is richer...the tapers vary,so you can have thicker or thinner at the same needle heights (D1 to D6) so AFR can be adjusted at a specific RPM
  4. JohnnyBiker

5. JohnnyBiker

Just wanted to confirm what I thought was correct. Thanks.
  6. JohnnyBiker

I guess I am not sure what you mean?
  7. Lucifer

My '90 Softail jet needle part number is 27178-90

In your parts catalog,which would cover all XL's(883 and 1200) what are the Part Numbers for the Jet Needles??
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

With your parts book it should have the Pt# then See what's in your carb & work from there lucifer gave the best example
  9. JohnnyBiker

What is in my carb is useless because it isn't the correct (stock) needle.
  10. Lucifer

:banghead:Never mind:banghead:
  11. JohnnyBiker

The needles that are listed for my bike are 27279-93 (1200) and then the 27241-95. The thing that is now confusing is that my parts manual states that these were used only on California models.. But there they are..
  12. Lucifer

Should also be numbers for non Cali models...My point being is if you want to use non adjustable needles,get the stock 1200 needle and run it to get a base to see if it's rich, lean or right on,if it's right on you're good to go,if it's rich or lean you'll see where on the AFR chart needs adjusting and go from there...
  13. JohnnyBiker

I agree that was the whole point of me getting this manual and I did speak to the place where I bought my parts from. They thought (said) that the stock 1200 needle was about the same as the N65c.

Yes I am going to do what you are suggesting, that was my whole plan in the first place because I just do not want to use that adjustable needle.... So according to my indy the N65c needle is too rich for me so I need to pick one that is a tad bit leaner.. Correct? So that would mean that I need to pick a needle with a bigger taper... Which to choose??