1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sturgis 2007

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by Peyts, May 13, 2007.

1. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

As I have never done a trip quite like this, I have 2 thoughts.....
    1. I should be hard core and have everything on my bike...."old school" (or sorta!;)
    2. Wish I had Chucks trailer....would make life just a bit more comfortable!!:roflmao:

As I DON"T have Chucks trailer, I will try the "old school" method...HOWEVER, will keep my eyes out on how the trip may have been different had I pulled a trailer with the bike!

Either way.... I can see WHY people trailer their bikes....but just doesn't seem right to me. course, after my ride from San Antonio, I may understand more fully WHY to trialer the bike! Don't know until you try tho! :cheers: :chopper:
  2. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Well, at roughly 1710 miles, I'm sure my ass would fall off after that trip. I've never ridden anywhere close to that kind of mileage on one trip. Now from where I see it, some of you guys are gonna make a trip that's probably pretty close to that, and DAMN, I commend you for it. That's quite an undertaking. I wish you all the best and a safe trip, and for pete's sake.....have FUN!! :D :drunk:
  3. AFNurse

I am doing 1200 miles to pick up the inlaws, then another 800 from there to Sturgis. Then the rides there in the area, and another 12-1400 miles home!!! I am looking at 4-5K in 10 days or so.....Should be fun!
  4. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

That's an awful lot of ridin in a short amount of time, I don't think my back would ever survive.....not to mention my ass! My seat isn't the most comfy one out there. Maybe I should look into getting a better one.....:confused:
  5. AFNurse

I ride an E Glide Standard!! HOPING the seat is comfy....have thought about Mustang seat, but not gotten that far yet....this trip may tell!!! The part of the whole trip that is funny....my father in law has done Sturgis many times...his 1987 Softail Custom has close to 100K on it.....my brother in law has bought my OLD bike, a 2000 Honda Sabre 1100....rides to/from work...less then 10 miles each way, and rides to the inlaws to park the bike for the winter, so 2 rides of 80 miles or so....that I know of.... SO Sturgis should be interesting for him for distance!!! and by the time I see him, I will have 400 miles more double his entire ride! should be fun!!! :roflmao: I am planning on having a back rest of sorts....some type of duffel bag, but will help! As I have never done this, will be interesting to see how it goes...I have done up to 600 miles in one day, but never done multipal days like this.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

your gonna do great!! you have the bike and a good seat. backpack the passenger seat for some back support. get some sheepskin to put on your seat, will help keep the monkey off your butt, but, they dont like rain....they will soak up the water. use plenty of goldbond powder. stay hydrated and you are good to go!!
  7. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't let that bother me. If you got a chance to go with some folks you know and they're towing, what the heck. You've got a fair trip from your home. It's an easy 900 miles for me on an Electra Glide. You got lots of riding to be had up in the Black Hills, you gotta do whatever works for you..
  8. AFNurse

Don't have a sheepskin, and would not be happy when it gets waterlogged...have heard of "monkey butt"...am assuming that it is like crotch rot or jungle rot or athleats foot on the a$$.....from sitting and sweating....?? STILL don't think I have a problem...think over 1/2 of it is mental. I am GOING to ride it, and have a good time dam it!! ;) regardless of what I think private, it will be a great time! :cheers:
  9. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

baby powder and fresh skivvies to keep dry....lots and lots of gatorade, keep hydrated..but you're a nurse, I aint telling you anything you don't know. Sturgis is great but the trip you're taking there will be the highlight, it's the journey, not the destination
  10. AFNurse

I have a patch that says...it's the journey, not the destination. Words to live by! I am VERY well aware of heat and dehydration, but that doesn't always remove the risk. I do plan on pushing fluids...gateraid is a great start! Military has taught me that fresh socks and skivvies are both a must....can be funk nasty outside, but keep the inside fresh and you will stay functional MUCH longer! :D MY biggest thing is to remember to keep eating food and keep drinking fluids that HYDRATE instead of caffeine and ETOH which dehydrate.
  11. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

something i have heard bout gatoraid.....not as good as poweraid. im not qualified, but some on here may be.....something to check out!!! i heard that gatoraid is "diatetic"....what ever that means. was told that poweraid is a lot better for hydrating. i dont know either way. i usually drink poweraid as it tastes better to me........thoughts???
  12. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

get yer self a gel pad it will make your azz enjoy the ride.:D
  13. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I tried 4 different seats on my Softail before I got the wide Mustang solo with a removable backrest. I did over 3,000 miles in 10 days last year and was very comfortable. No sheepskins, gel pads, or anything extra. I highly recommend it.

I'll be buzzing through Rapid City and the Black Hills on my trip, but it will be a week or two before the rally. You guys have fun!
  14. AFNurse

If I got the solo seat, my 6 year old daughter would be very upset with me....she enjoys riding!
  15. SK

SK New Member

I'm not sure about Gatoraid and the diabetic thing, except Gatoraid does have a fair amount of sugar in it..not good for a diabetic (unless they've become hypoglycemic). Basically, Gatoraid and Poweraid help restore electrolytes that plain water doesn't. Good rule of thumb about hydration..if you're still peeing regular you're ok..so drink til ya pee. And AFNurse said it best..avoid caffiene and ETOH (alcohol) when it's hot as they absorb water.

I just rode from near Aspen, CO yesterday back to Las Vegas (630 miles) and did it in under 9 hours (don't ask what speeds I was traveling..my dachshund on the passenger seat didn't :eek: ). When I rode from near Aspen last month back to Las Vegas I rode down through Ourey and Durango, CO, then to Springerville, AZ and the Coronado Trail into Tucson to stay with a friend (and also visited with Cyber Dave for an afternoon..doing great) and on to Las Vegas..1320 miles (did spend 3 days in Tucson to break it up though). That last leg into Las Vegas is always a killer this time of year.

I trailered the bike twice to Colorado and rode back to Las Vegas. Left the truck there and flew one-way back to Aspen for the 4th of July. I took tools with me to do some some work there (it's hard to put a commercial tile saw on the back of your bike :D ). So I found it very handy to trailer the bike and still ride a couple thousand miles. I take my state board exam next week (for nursing) and will immediately go back to Colorado. Planning a 3+ week bike trip starting late July into August with Colorado as my start-end points..then trailer back to Las Vegas (that way I don't ride the heat like I did yesterday..though only the last two hours was really hot). I'd like to get up into Canada.
  16. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Kev, you plannin' to hit Sturgis?
  17. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Would rea11y like getting together with you and BOB in Sturgis, Kev
  18. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

To all,

I got my plans in order for most of the trip.

Saturday - Make it to KOA in Brigham City, UT.
    Sunday - Make it to Montana. several KOAs to choose from on Rt90.
    Monday - Hog Heaven Campground in Sturgis.
    Friday - Head home through CO way ????
    Sat. - ????
    Sun - Home

I still don't know if any of you wants to meet up somewhere in Sturgis. Send me a private message if anyone is still interested in getting together.

Tom
  19. AFNurse

good chance I will also be staying at Hog Heaven campground......only time will tell for sure! Just look for the paint job on the gas tank and tour pak!
  20. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Sounds good. I'll keep an eye out for it.
    There are not too many EVO Road King Classics anymore so mine shouldn't be too hard to find either.
    16" apes
    mustang seat
    Chromed front forks.
    Cali license plate.
    Black

Good luck on your trip to Iowa. Hope to see you there.
    :drunk: