1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Super tuner or race tuner

Discussion in 'EFI Maps and Tuners' started by gator3727, Jul 9, 2011.

1. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Re: Street tuner or race tuner

I did the SE air cleaner, slip on mufflers and all I did was a stage one download. bike runs great and gets excellent fuel mileage. I did notice for the first time yesterday when passing a car at 80mph in 6th gear while pulling a hill a little pinging yesterday, I figured the temp being 105 degrees had something to do with that. Oh and I was riding two up also.
  2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

In 6th gear with mine doing 80mph, I can twist the throttle and it will pull till I let off.
    Don't runout of power.:rant:
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

4. cardboard

5. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Cardboard, you are doing the right thing to remove the TM before taking it in to dealer. They are looking for those kind of mods to void your warranty.
  6. cardboard

We have 3 dealers here owned by one person. They are lookin for anything to Void yer warranty. and they constantly tell you that everything you do will void yer warranty.
    Don't know if I will ever buy another bike from them.
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

They can tell you anything you want, but that
    won't make it true, federal law prohibits them from
    voiding the warranty for using 3rd party parts
    unless the part can be proven to cause the damage.

So if the trans seals start leaking, or the primary is leaking
    or the radio won't work,, or your seat tears on a seam,
    the T-MAx couldn't have caused that, nor could the
    Vance and Hines Slip ons, or the K&N air filter, or the
    Kuryakyn grips, or the windvest windshield...

However if the Efi system takes a dump, injectors
    burn up, and you have a Tmax they could say it caused
    it and you'd have to prove it didn't...
  8. FLHTbiker

I have seen dealers do that. Even hear at the big HD dealer a HD warranty guy was in and a bike was in for some engine warranty work. He found out that non-HD cams and a non-approved HD tuner was used and he, not the dealer canceled the guys warranty right on the spot. Didn't even want to know if any of those items caused the engine failure. I think if your under warranty you better keep it HD or it could bit you. If your warranty is over than go for it. JMHO
  9. cardboard

They won't even take it in to work on it
    They said they do not have to work on yer bike
  10. hotroadking

Dealer can refuse to do warranty work but the dealer CANNOT void the factory warranty only the FACTORY can void the warranty. He should simply asked for the zone rep and it depends on what was wrong,

However the dealer will call the factory and advise them that the engine has issues and has non-HD parts however the parts themselves don't void it, he does have to prove the parts, or the improper install of the parts caused the damage.

Example, you put in SNS cams, and HD timesaver pushrods with HD gasket kit, and drop in either a SERT or TTS, and the rocker boxes start leaking... Unless you removed them, (and putting in timesavers indicates you shouldn't) then the leak should be fixed under warranty. No way a cam install causes a rocker box to leak unless you removed the boxes.

Again, people use the term "void the warranty' which is wrong, they don't VOID the entire warranty they just refuse to fix the problem under the warranty contract, you still have warranty coverage on the bike on everything else unless the factory sends you notice that doing so voided the warranty, like putting a 120R in, bam doing this act voids the warranty... and it's an HD part...

If the warranty bugs you don't do anything as was stated, or, go to your dealer and talk with a good SM and see what they say, if the writes and SM say, oh yeah you use any non hd stuff and it voids the warranty and you haven't bought the bike, go back to the sales guy and tell them, no sale, and why, that you don't deal with Service departments that "threaten warranty coverage voided"

Buy elsewhere, plenty of SM will let you do a lot without
    being a PIA, but know that if you put in a bunch of aftermarket
    parts and tune the bike with someones tuner, even HD's tuner
    they may not honor the warranty for engine repair.
  11. FLHTbiker

Well HRK, there doing it. A factory warranty guy was the one who I witnessed do it to the guys bike. We were all very shocked. I just had my bike tuned and they said putting on a TTS or other device could void my warranty so I went with the HD Tuner. I dont want any grey areas with another brand tuner even if it is better. My friend Maddog had a really good tune done to his bike by Mike Stegman ( a top tuner in this country) at the HD dealer here so I simply had them down load the same tune into my bike. Our bikes are almost identical in what we have done. The tune works excellent made a huge difference. No warranty issues with a SE Tuner as long as the HD dealership did the work. Plus if I'm on the road and something happens any HD dealer can use the tuner. I know several of you don't like the HD tuner and your tuners are better but it works for me and I'm very pleased with the results.
  12. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

I'am with you Brother, If u happy with it and enjoy the ride why throw money at it. Some guys just need that speed rush, and thats cool too..to each his own:cool:
  13. cardboard

The dude that told me what he did, is the service manager for the HD dealership.
    He said they don't have to work in my bike if they don't want to..:rant:
    I could take it somewhere else.
    And if it has a aftermarket tuner or something like thaton it they will not take it in the shop.
  14. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

SE tuners are MOCO factory bike capatible. No extra parts needed to bolt on your bike. After market tuners like the power commander series and others are set up to trick/fool the deeply embedded hd codes and are more prone to inevitable failure.

You did good and smart on you for going SE tuner. When and if I get ready to bust a exhaust upgrade move thats what I'm gonna do too. Some people are foolishly MOCO oposed. I was to for many years(15-18 years to be exact) but not any more. Older wiser now.

15. cardboard

Thunder-Max don't fool nothin, its a complete replacement.
  16. FLHTbiker

You said earlier that when you go into a HD dealer you take it off, OK how do you do that then?
  17. cardboard

You've never had one Huh........
  18. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with what thundermax does or doesn't do but if you're happy thats all the matters for you.

It doesn't appear that Thundermax doesn't replace the main HD Code embedded ECM it interfaces with then I would suspect there is some foolery going on. While the Thundermax system is a complete EFI system it does not seem to replace the factory ECM that it ultimately interfaces with.

No aftermarket tuner has HD's codes. They are deeply embedded for a reason.

19. cardboard

You unplug the Factory ECM. And plug the Thunder-Max in the plug it was in.
    How is it fooling anything ?
    The Factory computer is completely gone.
  20. hotroadking

Nothing wrong with the SERT from HD, in fact it was programmed by TTS Mastertune for HD for the longest time, they switched vendors as HD is apt to do so for a while the TTS and SERT were the exact same thing.

If your dealer says he won't bitch about the SERT and your warranty then that's what you do, mine knows I have a TTS and he knows me and is fine with it, like I said, it's who you deal with I've known this guy for 15 years.

Now if he doesn't know you it might be different LOL

Relationships it's all about them..