1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Super tuner or race tuner

Discussion in 'EFI Maps and Tuners' started by gator3727, Jul 9, 2011.

1. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

would be kinda hard to know unless he pluged in and pull the software dump anyways .:cool: unless you had a ridability problem aint no need to go in a read data stream . seems like a no brainer to me :D hell ya could save the original map dump it in go home when there done re flash your created map back in . awesome took all of 5 min
  2. N2Hunting

N2Hunting New Member

That I can not truefully anwser. I know that when the Fuelpak quite on my friends, so did the bike. I have never heard of a tuner of any make or model going south. I lean towards the TSS Mastertune for one simple reason... No Dyno Tune needed. I have a hard time with someone I have never met racking the heck out of my engine and taking miles off my back tire, just to tell me they got it as close as they could while they are reaching for my money. Plus if you are savey with computers and engine principles you can tune you own bike using the TSS maps. I do not have a lap top like they tell you to use. I simply moved my desk top out into the garage and plugged it in. That took me all of 10 mins. to move the computer. What's that half an hour labor charge from a shop? The TSS program is very easy to use. And the program is Window based... So there is no downloads needed to have your computer adapt to it. The TSS Mastertuner does not stay with the bike. Once you are done.. you unplug and hit the road.
  3. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

V&H states that if you ever want to remove the unit, just unplug it and the stock settings take over. Don't know what would happen if it just quit working--mine's worked flawlessly for 4 years now--but would only take 30 seconds to unplug. You still can't beat the price and ease.
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Ever tried a Thunder-Max ?
  5. alex the dog

Don't know what that crap is above. I think he's lost in cyberspace.

Well Cardboard, you are right about ThunderMax--probably the best tuner available. But it's $1,000 bucks, man. I won't try to tell you that the FuelPak does as good a job, but 30-40 hp for $180??? No one can beat that unless you have a friend willing to share his SERT with you for free.
  6. cardboard

Fuel Pack is only for changing the pipes and air breather man. And its a piggy back unit.
    The fuel pack is not a tuner............

The TM is a Complete Replacement ECM and its unlimited. Plus it can adjust the AFR's.
    It comes with WB 02 sensors. Does the Fuel pack come with that . No.
    Money is as hard for me to come by as you. I'm retired and have to git out and bust my chops to git it.

If you learn how to use it, you can change your timing. and change the AFR portion of the map to get better fuel milage. Or leave the map alone for better performance.
    Been using the TM wa before the Fuel Pack was ever in existance.

Call Eastern Performance and check there price.
    TM does not let people advertise their units at a discount.
    If they catch you , they will not sell to you any longer.
  7. alex the dog

You can call the FuelPak whatever you want, but it still is a f.i. tuner. If you didn't change your pipes and air cleaner, why would you even consider a tuner since it runs fine from the factory?

All I'm saying is that I got big improvements with this inexpensive simple device without doing any wrenching or parts swapping at all, and you're talking about lots of needless parts and changes that will maybe get the same improvements I got, but for way more money. I mean, saving all that money is not rocket science to me.

I would only consider a TM if I was building the whole motor with stage 4 or 5 parts. Hell, I just changed the $2 sparkplugs for the first time with nearly 100,000 miles on em.
  8. cardboard

On the new bikes they got 12mm Lamda sensors. You can't use a TM with WB 02 sensors on the 12mm sensors. They have to be 18mm

And to answer the question. The stock factory bike runs too lean. And they have a catalyst converter in the header pipe on the newer bikes.

By just changin the header pipe and puttin a TM on the bike it will give you more power. And anything you do to your bike the TM can accomadate it.

How many people do you know that buys a Harley and leaves is EPA stock ?
  9. alex the dog

C'mon Cardboard, you're talking apples an oranges. The FuelPak doesn't need ANY of that chit. If I had a cat on mine, I'd have cut the sucker off too. And I just told you the performance was great considering my smog-free stock 96 will outrun a stock 110 motor. Sure, it'll beat mine if he does a lot of changes to his 110. I'm not stupid to think size doesn't matter.
  10. cardboard

Never seen a stock 96 that would outrun a 110cu motor.
    I've had 96 motors.
    Got friends with the 110cu motors.
    If you do the same thing to the 110 motors that you do to the 96 motors, you will have a stronger running 110 motor,
    I can tell a lot of difference in the 103 motor on my bike than the 96 on the last bike.
  11. alex the dog

EXACTLY. You're bike came with an added emission system--mine didn't. All H-D did to make mine EPA compliant was to lean the f.i. mixture. The FuelPak makes the necessary adjustments to the f.i., and now it's a 110 beater.

I did change the whole exhaust system as the o.e. was like breathing through a plug. And I changed the intake to a K&N RK series breather. Same stuff everybody does.
  12. cardboard

If you put a TM on yer bike and just Put a Cam in, like the woods 555 cam. That will do more than you could realize to your bike.
  13. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

No Race Tuner :rolleyes: oh here it comes :roflmao:
  14. alex the dog

Right now I think my bike runs great and has plenty of power for me. As long as it's running so sweet, I have no plans to open it up.

When the time comes, I plan to go "whole hog" (pun intended) and switch to gear drive Fueling 580 cams, pump, and cam plate. Probably up the cylinder size to 4" and get 10.5:1 S&S heads and a bigger throttle body. I've been saving money for this since I've not had to spend a nickle on the bike for any repairs or fancy upgrades yet. But in all honesty, I will look seriously at the TM at that point--but not before.

I'm very happy to have ridden 100,000 miles without even a hiccup from the bike, and expect to go at least another 50,000 before it's time to go inside. I ride pretty agressively 80% of the time, and could probably have made 200,000 had I not pushed it so hard.
  15. cardboard

Better check the puinion shaft runout 1st
    newer bikes work betterbwith hydraulic tensioners
  16. alex the dog

I built the motor at the factory myself. Flywheels press fit to .001" deflection, and I made sure assy. was balanced along with pistons. Will check it carefully again when cases are opened.
  17. cardboard

Hey Alex why would you go gear drive instead of the upgraded Hydraulic cam plate ?
  18. alex the dog

Well, a couple good reasons are: eliminating the cam chain tensioner drag frees up over 3 hp with easy turning gears; and the gears keep valve timing spot-on--chain tension loses as much as 4 deg. when hammering the throttle, and you never have to worry about debris floating in the oil after the plastic shoe and metal bits wear.

Also, I kinda like the gear whine but bosses hate it cuz more noise. I wanted to use helical gears (no noise) but cost too much.
  19. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

The gear drive causes excessive wear A dog, isn't that something to take into consideration, especially for as much as you ride super high miliage?

20. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

I just seen this....how did you accomplish that feat? Past HD factory employee?