1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Synthetic Oils

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by joejoe3, Jul 27, 2006.

1. joejoe3

joejoe3 New Member

There are only a few truely synthetic oils: Royal Purple, Amsoil, Redline, Mobil1
    out of these what ones are the best for: the motor...the trans...the clutch...
    I just want the best protection for my bike.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

OHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG:eek: :eek: :eek: chuck
  3. chucktx

there are quite a few posts about this on this forum.....have you done a search or looked in the faq section????? have fun
    chuck
  4. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

lol

hang in the chcktx. :D
  5. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

I think synthetic oils are too slippery…:rolleyes:
  6. joejoe3

joejoe3 New Member

Yes, I have done a search (alot of good info here) I was looking for members thoughts on the oils.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  7. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

Yeow! Are you ready for a broad range of comments?!!!:eek:
  8. CD

CD Guest

Well, if you believe the Amsoil websites with their "unbiased" but not independent testing results, their oil somehow comes out best.

Mobil1 is solid and comes in cars like the ZO6 stock. Some claim it is because they are the lowest bidder....doesn't sound quite right since if a customer found out that was true, watch for the fire works. Mobil1 has excelled in many articles written by the likes of American Iron.

Lucas and Redline are more known to the racing community and are very popular there.

I prefer Redline so I became a distributor.
  9. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Yup, I use Mobil one in the trans and motor. Never tried Red line, have heard plenty of good reports on it. I guess I’ll have to give it a try.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  10. SK

SK New Member

I put Mobil 1 mc oil in my FJR1300 and it improved the mileage about 3 mpg on long rides. Kinda makes up for the expense, but I know it's easier on the bike.
  11. LawnMower

LawnMower New Member

got castrol syntec in motor, and redline in tranny.. :D no problems to report with that combo..

LawnMower...
  12. aaron

aaron New Member

I use Lucas and have since switching from Mobil 1 V-twin. No problems here.
  13. Cracker

Cracker New Member

Here my 2 cents worth...;)

Redline (RL) synthetic in all three holes:

RL 20W60 in the motor > change @ 3~4K

RL Hvy shock proof gear lube in the trans > change @ 12K every 3rd motor oil change

RL Manual Trans Lube (MTL) in the primary > change @ 6~8K every 2nd motor oil change

Many different arguments on the subject, it's simple really, the motor is air cooled and generates a bunch of heat. Syn oils don't break down like dino does...enuf said!

05FLHT > 95", 42MIK, DTT, SEp heads, 570G's = 104Tq & 98Hp:)
  14. SkyKing

SkyKing New Member

They stiil pick up the same 'Products of Combustion', so I change engine at 2000 mi, tran and primary at 4000 mi. Oils cheap...Motors Ain't.
  15. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Hey CD,

Do they make a straight 50 or 60 Synthetic?

Can you sell oil online?
  16. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

LAS VEGAS WITH MY WIFE OF 25 YEARS WITH NO KIDS
    The Oil Factor

What I have found throughout the years. Is everyone has their own personal preferance. If there is one thing I did do myself when working on my bikes. I changed fluids. Like I was a priest or rabbi. Another words religously.
    Since I am now living in Las Vegas where temps. are off the chart. I now use Screamin Eagle 20/50 Synthetic. I use it in all my moving parts. I can't give you any results yet. i just changed all the fluids this week. It's like everyone says here. You can read up on all the specs. and find out all the info. It doesen't mean a thing if your bike is burning more oil or leaking oil since you put the synthetic in. Years ago I was told that if you have a minor leak and you use the synthetic oil it will become a big leak. Never happened so go figure. the good thing about using one type of oil in everything for me is I always take oil with me on a run. So now I only have to take one quart of one type of oil. Just in case...So keep on doing your reaserch and you will have to be comfortable with your own desision. Gumby 321 peace
  17. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I use Amsoil in all my bikes for years now, works fine. The most important thing for every biker to remember is change your oil regularly whether your using standard motor oil or a synthetic oil.
  18. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

LAS VEGAS WITH MY WIFE OF 25 YEARS WITH NO KIDS
    Aint That The Truth

They say on the Screamin Eagle you don't have to change your oil for many many miles. I am a big believer in changing your oil. After a few thousand or before I will take a look at the color and smell. I will be able to see whats up from there. Gumby 321 peace hope all of you will be heading this way in sept. It all starts on the 14th through the 17th. should be lots of fun. remeber what happens here stays here. so dont get busted or you are staying
  19. Tim Vipond

Tim Vipond Banned A-Hole

Read this informative article https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf . This is the most recent and thorough test on motorcycle oils I've seen. It is put out by AMSOIL but does not mention who actually did the testing. I emailed their tech department today to see which lab did the testing and haven't heard back from them. My guess is the AMSOIL lab, Lubrisol who does alot of AMSOIL and other major oil companies formulation and testing, or a well respected 3rd party lab. The tests are standard ASTM oil tests which should be repeatable by any ASTM certified lab, and as far as I know none of the competitor oils have refuted or questioned the results. AMSOIL doesn't come in first in all the tests, but seems to be the best overall.

I vote for AMSOIL as the best for Harleys. Their 20w50 MCV synthetic oils was reformulated and is even gear lube GL1 rated and can be used in all 3 compartments. It is the only oil warranted for double the Harley factory recommended oil change interval. I've had fellow Harley riders switch from the Harley syn3 oil to AMSOIL and they have experienced better gas mileage, lower temperatures and better shifting. In fact, I know of 3 Harley-Davidson motorcycle shops in Central Texas that offer AMSOIL as the only other synthetic oil choice to the HD oil. Also one of the Harley parts managers noticed his Harley mechanics drove several miles to pick up AMSOIL, bring back to the shop, and put it in their personal Harleys. You can easily have AMSOIL delivered to you door in a few days at wholesale pricing.
  20. chucktx

tim vipond........are you a rep or salesperson for amsoil?? you talk of home delivery???