1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Synthetic Oils

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by joejoe3, Jul 27, 2006.

1. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

LAS VEGAS WITH MY WIFE OF 25 YEARS WITH NO KIDS
    Once More

I do have to say thanks CD. Now I know what a nose cone is and looking in my book all night going a bit bonkers. I have the info. I need except what the cost would be to do the S&S change over. Also I just happened to be looking at the back of the custom chrome catalog in my library. I do my best reading in there at least once a day. On page 17.25 I happened to see the HYLOMAR
    product there. They have a gasket dressing compound and also the
    HPF GASKET DRESSING and FLANGE SEALANT. Am I correct if I was to get the HPF dressing? Does direct parts carry all these things that we have talked about? I would really like to purchase these products if possable from DP.
    Also the question on the pipe sealent. Is it something special or just plain old plumbers sealent? I hope you know that all your efforts are not in vain.
    I took out all the synthetic oil last night. So now we will go with the dino oil.
    I bought plenty of assembly lube and 3 and 1 oil has been done to the studs.

I have been trying to follow all your suggestions. I figure it to be like this. For another to have the same feelings about their FXR and have old school knowledge. It has to be right.
    So now all I need to do is find out about the S&S steel parts. The HYLOMAR which will be used on BOTH SIDES of the gaskets and which HYLOMAR product it is to be bought. I am figuring the Gasket and Flange Sealent. Then there is the Pipe Sealent. I have the price for the OIL FIX and I can order it anytime. I would like to see if I can get it all at one time.
    I also want to see how big a job it will be to go to the steel S&S parts. So off to the living room this time. I will do my studying in there. Thanks Again CD. All is very much appreciated. GUMBY PEACE
  2. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Just Went Into The Manual

I am looking at the diagram of the nose cone. What I am wondering is what Items will be in the S$S kit that I need to replace for a stronger gearcase and or timing gears? I know it has to be past # 17 and I am trying to figure out what can be the weak spot in there. Speak to you soon, thanks CD:confused:
  3. CD

CD Guest

The stock breather gear is plastic. If any debris gets caught behind it and gets stuck in the plastic it wears on the inner case. The plastic screen has been known to break and then it becomes useless. Replacing it with the older style steel breather eliminates that worry.
  4. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Got You

HEY CD, Looks to me that #4 and #19 are the ones you are speaking of.
    As you know I am not !00% sure about this but it does not seem like I would need any type of special tool to pull and replace.
    All I can see is that I need to be gentil getting into get # 19 the Breather Gear. The Oil Screen I think I can handle without much problem. I have been in there before to check it and it is all O.K.
    So if I am correct in not needing anything special to get to Breather Gear.
    There won't be a need to respond to this. I know you are busy. Thanks once again, GUMBY PEACE
  5. ridehard95

ridehard95 New Member

I really did not mean to be so straght forward but I have played this game about oils for 3 years .And some people think that if you are not useing synthetic or you care not to that you are just another fool that don,t know any better .So sorry for the rude come back . I do change my oil often about every 1,000 to 1,5000 it all depends on how hard I have run it.I just don't know of any one that runs synthetic that I ride with so its hard for me to say one way or the other. I have heard all the truth and tails about it but I want to see it with my own eyes know what I mean. And then I still may never switch because I have had good luck with what I use just old school I guess LOL but there is nothing wrong with that either
  6. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Agreed----- As You Might Know

HEY RH95,
    I have my top end in a shop being done. I opened this can of oil last week. I am very surprised this has been going on for as long as it has. Because I am starting out with a new top end I wanted to know what everyones thoughts were on this subject. From many people as you know came many feelings and thoughts. Me not being a wrench and I am trying to do this job with help from my bud, wanted to know everyones feelings about the new start with the top end. So I must tell you that I did throw in 1 qt of synthetic after getting everything out of the bike that was in it. I changed lines and took the tank and cleanedall the crap that was in the bottom of it. So new,I am starting ofcourse with the bottom end just not being touched. One person then the next had their thoughts about the subject. If I kept a balance sheet the syn. oil lost by a land slid.
    So what I did was went back in and took the syn. oil out, brought back all the other cans I bought and traded in for the HD oil. I will be changeing the oil at 500 miles and take a look at all magnets just for the hell of it. I did put the syn. in everywhere else. (not the brakes) So I will see how it goes from here. I just bought the bike and put less then 300 miles on it when she started to smoke real bad. Did a compression check and they both were the same at 90. The bike ran hard and strong at 90. I can't wait to see what she runs like at 125 or better. I am hopeing for better. I will post up as soon as it is done. It should be by next week with the help of everyone here and my buddie. I have gotten so many good things out of this site. I am following many to a T. For those of you who did give me anything. Thanks I really do appreciate all that has been given to me. GUMBY PEACE
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2007
  7. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

One more thing about synthetic

RH, One more thing I learned is that using synthetic reduces our dependancy on oil. If your into worrying about that.:D
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2007
  8. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Nope Not Worried About Dependency

I SAY NUKE IT AND SEND THEM ALL BACK THERE TO CLEAN IT UP. THEN TAKE THE OIL. No I am with you with this. I was new in here and really didn't know what to expect. I have been in other sites for us tough guys. LOL
    They were not even a bit close to this one. I am in contact with some people that live in calif. and we will be meeting up on a run one day soon.
    So far everyone has their own ideas about oil and other things. I just kept getting more worried about things that I didn't know about. So I just kept refering to the book. So now I have one thing in mind and I am sticking to it.
    Th synthetic that I put into the lower end just to keep it wet in there, is now out and all cans were brought back. I went with the H.D oil for now. We will see after 500 miles what happens.
    Now I am going to have to post up on how to brake in the top end. Can't wait to hear how many ideas come out of that one.
    this is what I have done in the past on my othe bike. You take it ez for a few hundred miles. Going up and down on a scale of 65 mph and down. Keep going up and down so there is much movement on the walls. It worked on my last bike for me. So maybe I am wrong though. Why not start it off with how you have done it..GUMBY PEACE