1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

tappet trouble . . .

Discussion in 'Projects' started by joshbob, Oct 15, 2016.

1. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

004 (640x480).jpg I'm afraid my shovel is going to be down for a while, boys. Was riding yesterday and lost power to the front cylinder. Limped along enough to get off the road, maybe a quarter mile. After getting the ol' thang towed home by a buddy, saw that the exhaust tappet roller had disintegrated. Took out all the tappets and discovered that the intake tappet roller (also on the front cylinder) was nicked and scratched. The other two tappets look ok.

The needle bearings (all except one that I was able to fish out with a magnet) and the rest of the roller are somewhere inside the gear chest :arghh: . Today I will pull off the cone for a closer inspection . . . picture shows the damaged roller on the right.
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Damn! I imagine That metal could be anywhere in the motor. Sorry to hear Josh.
  3. joshbob

It's just in the cam chest (gearcase). Here is a pic of what I got out of it 006 (640x480).jpg I have to get a new cam, besides a set of tappets. The gears look ok.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

That sucks. I just replaced mine with sns lifters. They are better and quiet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. joshbob

I have Sifton solid lifters. I put them in new about three years ago and there's nothing wrong with them except for the rollers. I'm going to rebuild all four of them with new rollers. Then buy a new Andrews cam. The number on my cam is 69729. Forget which grind it is. 007 (640x480).jpg Here's a pic of the side opened up. I have since gotten the cam free of the cone. I'm having fun with it - this is pretty straightforward mechanical stuff.
    Tattoo thinks I caused all this mess by waiting too long to adjust that front exhaust valve. True, we heard it ticking a bit at idle about a week ago . . . Where ever the fault lies, I got a lesson out of it - "Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today" has a whole new meaning for me.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  6. joshbob

The worst thing is that it's perfect riding weather around here. Mid 70s by noon and little wind. Have decided to fix the lifters first and start saving for the cam. 008 (480x640) (480x640).jpg Y'all can see where the lobes have been compromised. This'll make a cool paperweight.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    Red Rider likes this.
  7. Fatboy128

8. joshbob

At least there doesn't seem to be any other damage inside the gear chest. Maybe with the new parts it'll go back together and I'll be on the road soon.
  9. hotroadking

Tell me you are not going to run the new lifters with that cam
  10. joshbob

As I said above, I'm getting a new Andrews J grind cam. Decided to get a new set of Sifton solid tappets instead of rebuilding the old ones. There's a machine shop here that will put my old cam gear on the new cam. Those three gears have seen a lot of miles together.
  11. hotroadking

Missed that part, yeah you should swap the cam gears since it's mated to the pinion gear on the mainshaft, you'll get a better fit and less chance of any whine.

Be sure to lube up the lifters good and the cam lobes with some assembly lube, might as well change out the inner cam bearing it's not that expensive and you are in there already, better to do that now than have it take a dive and have to do it all over again.
  12. joshbob

Thanks for reminding me - I have an extra one in my parts stash. I remember putting in a new inner cam bearing the same time I installed the (then new) cam, tappets & blocks, about 3 years ago. Sure didn't get much milage out of those parts, although I can reuse the blocks.

It's in the 80s under a Carolina blue sky right now . . . we're having the most beautiful Indian Summer I can ever remember around here . . . trees are just beginning to change color . . .
  13. hotroadking

That's when shit breaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Red Rider likes this.
  14. joshbob

That's right! The past few days have been 20 degrees cooler, about average this time of year. Today I'm removing the oil pump for a closer inspection. I drained the oil and there were no metal fragments in it. Took off the oil filter and drained it into a pan and found nothing but oil. Oil screen looked good, too.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  15. Fatboy128

Whew!
  16. joshbob

It's been a bear getting the oil pump off - should finish that today. Was going to yesterday but my birthday got in the way ye-haw!

The oil pump is about 6 years old and I'm praying that all will be ok once I get a good look at it. I hope I don't have to buy a new oil pump, not only because of the money, but as I remember, it was a bear to install with all the gear keys and snap rings dropping and sproinging everywhere. Great fun :rolleyes:. The tappet set should be here on Tuesday.

Hey, Fatboy, still got good riding weather up there? It's great down here . . .
  17. hotroadking

Hopefully you'll get her back running before falls over..
  18. Fatboy128

Last week we set high temp records three days in a row in the low 80's Now back to normal, 40's at night 50's during day. It is good to ride!
  19. hotroadking

remember to pull that oil breather gear assembly and clean it out,
    I'd pull the filter and cut it open, be sure no metal is in it, maybe even
    drain the oil tank and put in fresh oil before starting.

Get a tube of assembly lube and coat all the parts, pushrods, lifters, cam lobes bearing journals, gears with it before cranking it over, that will extend the life, don't just coat them with oil that stuff drips, lube hangs in there until it's washed off in the oil.

So you have adjustable pushrods? I'm betting the rod didn't need adjustment because it was out of adjustment, it was ticking because the lifter was taking a shidt and changed it's length when the roller was disintegrating, changing the height.

Tattoo was right in that it was out of adjustment but not for the right reason, jmo I'm betting the sound was the end result of the lifter imploding.

BTW the twin cams have been having this problem, I just replaced mine with SNS lifters, if you have a later model twinkee then you need to order SNS lifters and get the HD stuff out or you could end up with a $6000 brick between your frame.

Josh you got really lucky that you took it apart, that could have been seriously expensive.
  20. joshbob

With what and where is the filter cut? I wouldn't want new metal particles being mistaken for what might already be inside the filter.