1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

tappet trouble . . .

Discussion in 'Projects' started by joshbob, Oct 15, 2016.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

just remove the filter and cut down the center length wise with a hack saw, it's light aluminum metal, cuts easy, or cut off the end where it connects to the bike (off the bike of course) and then pull out the media, look for metal, you might find some if so the filters done its job, or if not then perhaps the pump didn't push a lot through,

Either way what is important is to buy two new filters, when you put it together flush out the oil tank and lines, use brake cleaner to clean out the cam chest, and put in regular motor oil with a new filter, run it a short while and change the filter, cut that new filter up and see if it has metal.

Easier than taking the bike apart
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Thanks HRK. Will do. The guy that ordered my tappet set ordered the wrong thing. The packaging says "solid lifter conversion kit", so I got a set of hydralic lifters when I wanted solids. Have to take them back today and get him to reorder. It costs me over two hours of driving time and $20 in gas to get there and back. Three trips instead of one = $60 and 6 hours driving. Now that really sucks.
    I usually order stuff like this online but couldn't find the solid lifters without having to also buy blocks & pushrods sold as a kit.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  4. hotroadking

Yeah that sucks people forget how expensive it is to drive for parts, I just had to replace a bearing in the transmission, 3 or 4 trips to the HD dealer in Seminole, one to downtown Orlando, one to east orlando, because none of them had all the parts, tolls, gas, time.

No wonder people buy online and wait, just like the old days with sears catalog.

Did you contact Phil? CA Phils 785 243 9991 see if he can help, it's cheaper
    to spend gas money on beer and sit on your sofa waiting on UPEESS
  5. joshbob

It turns out that the lifters were solids - the kind you use with adjustable pushrods. They didn't look anything like my old tappets, so I assumed they were hydralic. Tattoo had an old set of adjustable pushrods that used to be in his bike before he souped up his motor. He gave them to me and when the time comes, I'll use them and hope for the best. They appear to be in good shape.

I pulled off the front rocker box and found that the rocker arm is binding. Not sure what to do about that yet. I found metal particles in the oil line that runs from the block to the underside of the rear rocker box. I'm thinking about dismantling the whole motor . . .
  6. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Crap! Based on that, I can only assume that total dis-assembly is the wise choice now.
  7. hotroadking

Probably a smart idea

8. joshbob

Yeah, and it will also allow me to make a few improvements, like changing the old barrels. The rear one has deep scratches in it and smokes a bit. I may go with 80 c.i. (1340 cc) cylinders, pistons & rings for a little more grunt. I will also get the motor balanced.

I just hope everything else is alright.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  9. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yeah,tear it down and rebuild...You might get away with going 10 or 20 oversize depending on how deep the scratch is. Is the lifter that failed on the same valve as the binding rocker arm??
  10. joshbob

Yup. So far I've gotten the top end off. The block is still in the frame, but it's only four bolts and it's out! Four of the eight cylinder base studs pulled out, which means I'm going to have to drive 30 miles for a pair of 14tpi jam nuts because two of the studs won't come off the cylinder (see lower pic). I'll have to find an additional reason to go into town . . . Hmm, maybe a beer run. Piston tops look very crusty, but I'm replacing them anyway. Combustion chamber don't look much better (upper pic). When I try to twist the front piston I get a little play. 001 (640x480).jpg 002 (640x480).jpg
    I took some time off from wrenching yesterday and went to a halloween party. I was the opening act (slide guitar, harp and vocals) for a rock/blues band at a biker club. Great people, and out of this world food.
    Lucifer likes this.
  11. Lucifer

Cool...Sounds like it was a good party..Bolt's n beer,good enough reason for a run;)
  12. hotroadking

That exhaust valve doesn't look like it's seating properly was it on the lifter that went bad?

13. hotroadking

Were the valve seats hardened for unleaded? The intake looks way down in the seat. Could be the picture

14. joshbob

I know he put new valve seats in about 3 years ago so I assume they are ok. I got the jam nuts and the beer and got the studs back in the block with red loctite.
  15. hotroadking

You should check that valve is seating
    Set the head level with the valves up
    Put in an old plug
    Fill area with fluid you can use a little gas
    See if it holds the fluid or drains down

If it's not seating it will drain through the valve area down that runner
    Onto the table
  16. joshbob

001 (640x480).jpg 002 (480x640).jpg 003 (640x480).jpg Just got through checking and all valves are tight - no leaks. I can't seem to find any lock rings or C clips holding the pistons on. I want to take them off the rods. Manual shows what they look like (two different types). There's no slot or a C clip to be seen on either side.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  17. Lucifer

AKA ...Jesus clip...if they weren't there you'd be able to push the wrist pin out....A tiny hooked pick would help you find the split in it....then you'll also find out why it's called a Jesus clip lol.....A pair of safety glasses is a good idea too
  18. hotroadking

Yep as in Jesus Christ where'd that go!

Cover it with your hand, put shop towels in the case
    because it will either fly across the room, bounce and end up
    in the one corner that it shouldn't reach, or, drop right into the bottom of the cases
    where you'll need to take the engine apart to find it.

I use a dental tool or pick with an L shape on one end and straight on the other.

Pair of stronger reading glasses too LOL, its hard to see one in the first picture however I can see the ring on the bottom picture, it's not a "C" clip with holes that you can squeeze together to get out, it's a round ring like a key chain ring, not a full circle aka a cir-clip.
  19. joshbob

004 (640x480).jpg 005 (640x480).jpg 003 (640x480).jpg 001 (640x480).jpg Here is a shot of the front rocker box with the shaft and rocker arm removed that was affected by the bad lifter. There is some slight binding when I turn the arm on the shaft. Good news is that there is no shrapnel inside the boxes.

Talked to my machinist and he says he can fix it cheaper than replacing the whole assembly. There sits the ol' shovel lookin' all forlorn. The shot of the barrels shows the busted fin on the one closest to the camera - one reason why I decided to go with a 1340 kit (barrels, wrist pins, pistons, lock rings & piston rings).
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  20. Lucifer

Yep...Fix rather than replace whenever possible.