1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

TC "B" Engine Sumping

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Lucifer, Aug 27, 2011.

1. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Hope you can find it i posted were i thought you might find it but it was removed ? N--a store GUESS NOW IT POSTED TWICE .DAM COMPUTER SERVERS
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yep, we have Napa stores here,not open on Sunday though, no O'Rielys....only place open on Sunday's here would be Canadian Tire,if I can't get it there I'll wait until tomorrow to do it...just finding the leak and checking oil levels will do for today so i won't be wondering if I'm running it low on oil and find how bad the leak is....maybe if I don't get it I can get him to start finding whats wrong with his
  3. baggerpaul

Well i got to tell ya my trany fluid did not look low and my shifter seal was the leak . I said screw it and reseal all of it . Primary and trany what ever i could get my hands on i reseal. Just leaked when hot and seal expanded. And you know how trany fluid is it all ways looks like a bunch on the ground and its just a small leak .
  4. Lucifer

5. baggerpaul

When i was removing the covers on my bike the shifter area was dry also . I pulled the clip that holds the washer that is in front of the seal and it was wet back there.
  6. Lucifer

If the inner primary gotta come off...definitely new seals going in...I'm back to thinking it's just the stator plug again and since it's ATF I'm using it'll make the leak appear worse than it really is because it thins out more than HD's primary oil...I'm just going to seal that up and see what happens...if I have to dig deeper it can wait until riding season's over....thinking about doing the Joe Minton build on it this winter....a TW 21 in a 95"er and have the heads cleaned up...also contemplating the Mouse Cam(TW21) on Stilts (1.75 rocker arms)...neither one for bar stool bragging,but excellent real world pull and throttle response in the RPM range I ride with this bike...already got the breather,TW21 and Kerker/SuperTrap slipons installed so just need to bore the jugs and clean the heads,maybe the .030 head gasket...and then That's it...Done...really....no more...just maintenance:rolleyes:LOL
  7. baggerpaul

I left the e glide alone just cams head work . The deuce i went high comp s&s cams heads and 2into one it made a good amount of torque enough to shift the wheels any way lol . The e glide has a good crank in it and good factory bearings. Its a 02 . And being an alpha im not worried when i wear it out ill go 95 with the set up on the heads i have now and go with woods cams hrk and me were bull ****ing about this a week or so ago he has had good results with the wood cams
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You will like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. Lucifer

Woods cams are good...never heard of anyone disappointed using one,quick rising ramps so a few people say they're noisy....I kinda get a kick outta that statement,someone riding a Harley with free flow aftermarket exhaust and complaining about a little valve train noise lol
    I figure if I'm gonna pull the heads for some work might as well pull the jugs too,since they'll just be sitting there...
    I'd like to find a good porter here in Canada with a good reputation and I'd trust...Head Quarters is the only one I know of and if I was going there I'd be better off with one of his packages IMO...if I have to ship to the US,Bishop's is on the short list...only problem is shipping back and forth to US adds to the cost a fair bit...but knowing the job was done right...priceless:)
    Gonna measure run out on my bud's bike,but something tells me the engine is going to get pulled again...
  10. baggerpaul

that sucks man hoped you guys found something simple!
  11. Lucifer

With the sumping after him taking it out and reinstalling and aligned by the book twice,score marks on the shaft and noise from the other side doesn't give you a good feeling...but a little good luck for a change sure would be nice...we'll check the run out and clean out and torque the comp nut and take it from there...
  12. hotroadking

If you do find the mainshaft is out of spec, have the cases done
    with the timken bearing conversion. Much stronger. Also Darkhorse was a company doing cranks, straight, true and weld.

I ran the snot out of my 95 inch 00 Heritage and hard, and it never
    had a problem with the crank.

Now if it is out of spec and you have to have the crank trued and welded
    you might search around for an SNS 116 stroker kit to go in those cases
    and change the bearing to a Timken in the case for strength, that's what
    typically causes the issue.

At this point you have the cases split and you're just a little machining away from
    a great stroker engine....

Reuse the balancers, replace the plastic guides, if you take the balancers
    out it will vibrate the living crap out of you, SNS even makes you sign a waiver
    that you have been told not to do it.

6200 RPM is more than enough, just make it bigger LOL
  13. Lucifer

:roflmao: Yep, that's what to do....if you break it...stroke it...:roflmao:
  14. baggerpaul

but the early model cranks are good 03 and up give you problems . i dont know why his model year is givin him trouble ? maybe when they had it apart they did not set the end play on thecrank tight enough? a couple of thousands out on each end and as the crank wears in on the race and these are the problems that arise
  15. hotroadking

Yep, HD made changes to the way they make cranks and the bearings.

Timken is a must if you are making any power increases.
  16. Lucifer

It was a stock 88 when the front balancer bearing took out the engine Harley warrantied everything but the crank and let him make it a 95 so the only thing went in the second engine from the first was the crank...he built it himself so the end play would have been checked and set...is there anything else that would cause a B motor to sump other than an out of spec crank??
  17. baggerpaul

stupid question is the seal for oil pump to cam chest in good condition did you guys replace it when you re alighn
  18. Lucifer

I'll check that out...but I think after he found it sumped he just backed it off and rolled the wheel to align it again...I think it's all new or not very old...I'll mention it though...would be good to find out the sumping and left side noise are unrelated...what about the wavey washer between the gerotors?? if that lost it's tension...
  19. baggerpaul

i was just gonna tell you to check if for clearence it you guys were gonna take it apart any way!
  20. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i dont see it loosing tension unless it got really hot......spring steel....