1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

temp. dipstick info

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by voodoo1, Jul 19, 2004.

1. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

okay..why are there no oil temperature dipsticks available that I can find for my 02 wideglide? Non-digital.. I like the simple mechanical type..no batteries..etc..if I gotta fork out 100.oo for a digital... anyone have problems with this kind....I would like to find a simple "look at the numbers" and call it a day...maybe I can find an oversized cooking thermometer? :D
    Feel kinda funny with the high tech on old tech bike(compared to the rest of the market) a "personal thang" :cool:
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2004
  2. fatboyvtwin

fatboyvtwin New Member

I would suggest looking at E-bay, that is where I buy alot of my items for my bike. Ride Safe David.
  3. Rooster

Rooster New Member

I have a digital readout on my 2003 Heritage, battery just went dead bought a new one , now it reads a bunch of mumbo jumbo, I will now go to a guage readout with aneedle, what a waste of money on the digital. Hope this helps you out.
    :mad:
  4. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

thanks

thanks for jumbo info!!
    I cannot find one for an 02 wide glide(with a NEEDLE)..Must be something to it.NO one carries them from H-d to Kerihaukyn.. not sure why other than it is located in a completely different spot than the rest ofthe HD line. Kinda hard to believe that HD does not carry it but they do not..and cannot find aftermarket support.
  5. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

any input on this CD?

any reasons know why it seems hopeless to find a oil temp guage(manual needle type) for an 02 wide glide?
  6. Seahag

Seahag New Member

I'm pretty sure its not just your 02 wideglide...I can't find a manual gauge for any twin cam and I think it has something to do with the redesign of tranny...which was completely changed to directly mount to the engine for more rigidity. Since every type of guage I've seen for the twin cam has a flexible shaft I'm assuming that a rigid metal type shaft like that on the manual gauges simply wouldn't reach down to the oil pan without bending around that corner a little.
  7. CD

CD Guest

Seahag is right, I hae not come across an aftermarket temp gauge either. It has to be due to that bend.

You could always install a mechanical temp guage or electro-mechanical guage and mount it much like an oil temp gauge.
    The sender could use the extra loil drain plug hole.