1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Test Fitting Some Weapons

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Dec 27, 2012.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

And you don't hear.

Got a couple friends that are retired Law enforcement. They all said.
    DO NOT carry yer most expensive pistol. If you ever shoot anybody, the Police are going to take yer weapon and you may never git it back. If you have a 1000 pistol or more expensive that is too much to loose.
    And if you do git it back it may take years.

If you got that much money to throw away , What they said. Go for it.

Why do I need a pistol that says it will shoot a 1/2" group at 50 yrs.
    Am I shooting competition.
    If I hit a man most anywhere in the center of the body with a 45, its gonna leave a home big enough he will definitely not be attacking me, and he will probably bleed to death.
  2. cardboard

Another reason I carry the Springfield XDm 3.8 compact.
    When you pull it. You have no safety to take off to make it fire.
    When you put your hand around the pistol, the 1911 style grip safety of off.
    When you put yer finger on the trigger , the other safety is off, the pistol is ready to fire.
    I don't like exposed hammers ona pistol.
    If a person grabs yer pistol and puts his hand between the hammer and the pistol you weapon will not fire.
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

25 a box for FMJ 45 ammo is getting on the upper end. Be careful shooting someones reloads. I have been buying good 45 ammo at around 20-21 a box. I have also bought new 45 ammo in bulk for a lot less but you gotta buy at least 500 rounds. You may think that is way to much ammo but you start going to the range which you should do to practice you'll be surprised how much ammo you go through. Defensive ammo is going to cost you more and that is what you should use for carry. CB has some good points also.
    If you have kids in the house never leave a loaded gun where they can get to it, period.
    If you want a carry pistol a really good caliber and in a light weight pistol a 40 cal. can't be beat. The XDM is good and so are the S&W Shield, Ruger SR40C. You want a 45 the XDS 45 is very good. These all have good safeties on them, but I know you don't like Polymer pistols.
  4. cardboard

Find something wrong with a polymer pistol
    They have been around for over 20 years
    And have fired flawlessly
    I have carried polymer pistols for over 20 yrs
    Myself
    Don't want anything but polymer
  5. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I guess when it comes to ammo and like with guns I have no idea. I will try this box of 100 and then I have a good starting point as to what it likes and doesn't.

What are some of the better ammo manufacturers out there? What should I be looking at as far as grains and how hot it is loaded? Of course for now I am not going to popping off defensive rounds, I want to squeeze off like a 1000 rounds of crap (Non defensive) ammo starting with reloads through some better ammo. What should I be looking for from the ammo as far as performance goes?
  6. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

If you want to save $$ re-load your own. Plenty of handbooks on the topic. It's really easy to do once you've done some reading on it. I started out doing just that. 'Re-loaded Thousands of rounds for my shotguns(12&20 ga.),my 30-06 rifle & my .44mag..Actually enjoyed it,Quiet time alone in my basement shop. I would NEVER trust anyone else's re-loads. Especially commercial re-loads. Another tip don't buy ammo stricktly on price. Lots of sheetz ammo on the market. If the price is so low it could cost you in safety and/or damage your firearms. JMO
  7. JohnnyBiker

Other than knowing what has been done to the reload, why is it better to use your own reload rather than one that has been done by someone else? The guy that I am talking about actually makes his own bullet too. I have known this guy for a long time. Just curious.
  8. FLHTbiker

For now I would not worry about making your own reloads as there is a lot of expense getting started. Ammo right now is scarce in most places and is not going to get better anytime to soon I'm afraid. There is some cheaper ammo that you can pick up at your local gun shops. I like in a 45 Cal to run 230 grain FMJ (full metal jacket) as its cheaper to buy and good for range shooting. Hollow points get more expensive.

some of the less expensive ammo is like
    Lellier & Bellot, Magtech, Blazer but only in brass, Remington UMC, Fiocchi, American Eagle by Federal, PMC, Winchester white box, those are just a few. I went on-line before all the ammo crises hit and went to freedommunitions.com however they are out of everything now. they will take back orders. its good ammo to.

You'll just need to shop around but my 45 ammo runs me around 20.00 to 21.00 box for factory ammo. Buying in bulk lowers the cost down consideral. Your friends ammo might be fine I just worry about hot loads on reloaded ammo.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  9. cardboard

Man I went into a well know gun store shooting range. They had PMC bronze 45 ammo

[​IMG]
  10. charlie46

I get the PMC JHP 185gr, for 34.59 per 50 at Lucky Gunner .com and Cheaper than Dirt.com . Once(if) you ever decide to get into making your own ammo you will learn what mistakes can be made and their results. FLT is right FMJ bullets are cheaper in all brands compared to like weight JHPs and are great for range work. Also where heavier clothing is worn make great deffence loads.
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Right now just finding it is hard, Wal-Marts are just empty
    finally they put in a 3 box limit because the same people were
    buying up all the ammo cheap and reselling at gun shows.

As to the expensive vs inexpensive do whatever you want
    but don't discount that some people can afford to buy
    and carry whatever they want, to a guy making a half mil a year
    a $2K gun is no different than a $200 gun to a guy making $50K a year.

Reloading isn't going to save you any money, unless you load thousands
    of rounds and right now primers and bullets as well as brass is harder
    to get than new rounds.

If you know someone that sells reloads and trust them fine
    just make sure they are experienced and know what they are doing
    otherwise reloads are fine..
  12. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

luckygunner.com has 45 fmj last time I checked, couple days ago...about $100 dollars more per 1000 round than I paid last September though.
  13. JohnnyBiker

Man is that ammo expensive. I think that I will stick to my buddies reloads for awhile and just put up with it if it isn't the greatest. $565 for a 1000 rounds!!?? :gah::rant:
  14. FLHTbiker

Went to the LGS today. Ammo prices continue to rise as well as firearms. Picked up some 45 ammo and 40 ammo. Dang 45 ammo went up to 21.00 a box and 40 went up to 20.00 a box, American made ammo. Pistols are going up to, some pistols I have noticed have gone up 100.00 sense last year. It's crazy out there all thanks to a sheet head president. :cussing:

Wanted to pick up some 6.5 Swedish ammo and its now priced at 30-35 for a box of 20 :gah:
  15. JohnnyBiker

Yesterday I went to my LGS and I was shopping for some accessories for my newly acquired Bersa Thunder .45 Ultra Compact Po. Hot Rider has expressed some interest in using a laser so I thought I thought I would see if I could find one that is fairly inexpensive to buy so she can try it. I was able to find one. the one that I bought is a BSA. It is nice and small. I also found a good little carrying case that I can stack some ammo in to make it easier for transport. The case will hold 200 rounds. I also picked up a box of defensive rounds and in this case I bout some MagTech 185 grain 45+p hollow points. Should be all that I need for defensive ammo... :D
  16. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

17. FLHTbiker

Went out shooting Friday. Took the Ruger SR9C, 9mm Shield and the Springfield XDS. That SR9C is one accurate shooting pistol at 25 feet all shots were in the 10X, 10 and 9 ring had 6 in the X Ring. The shield has a poor trigger pull compared to the Ruger and the shot group was much larger (need to practice more with it). The XDS is a bit of a handful but still managed to keep em all in the 9 and 10 ring. Was a good day. Stopped at Northwest Armory on the way home and picked up a few more rounds. All in all was a good day at the range.
    Someday would like to shoot that new Ruger SR45 that just came out. Heard a lot of good things about it and they had one in the gun shop, very nice. Price was 429.00
  18. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I know the triger pull on my SR9 is short, light and real sweet. Very accurate and fun to shoot
  19. JohnnyBiker

Finally I was able to go a pick up my gun today!! Here are some pictures of the new arrival. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it is time to have some fun once this snow shiit goes away and the weather starts getting warmer.. :D
  20. charlie46