1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Test Fitting Some Weapons

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Dec 27, 2012.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

2. cardboard

3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I think that i have come to at least one decision for what kind of gun that it is that I want. I have pretty much decided that I do not want a semi automatic. I like the the revolver more I am finding out. simple reasons is that there are less moving parts which will eliminate jams. With a semi automatic, I have to worry about drawing, freeing safety, semi aiming, then firing. So far with all of the semi autos that I have tested, I do not like the safety location. My fingers are not that long so need to be mindful of these types of things.

With a revolver, and especially with a .45 there is a huge "Oh Shiit" factor when you see those big ass bullets staring at you. With a semi automatic you just don't have that factor. "Is he loaded or not?" With a revolver, one knows. ;):D A revolver just seems much more simple, easier to clean, don't have to take anything apart really.
  4. cardboard

With the Springfield XDm there is no safety to jack with. You have a trigger and grip safety.
    When you put you hand around the grip the grip safety is off. When you touch the trigger the trigger safety is off and the pistol fires.
    How simple is that.
    Shoot ball ammo threw it, At least 2-300 rounds pracitising.
    You will find out how much faster you can fire the semi auto over a revolver.

You need to find indoor range that rents pistols. Don't go out and just buy one.
    I've carried pistols since 1971 legally.
    I went threw Basic and AIT in 1969 and they don't use revolvers that I know of.
    My dads best buddy lived a few houses down the street and he was a gunsmith. I was lucky. I got to shoot ball and cap and black power pistols back in the early 60's.
    If you ever shoot a revolver and start shooting a semi automatic pistol
    You will change your mind.
    My dad had a single action pistol and a holster that you tie a piece of leather around yer leg and you draw the pistol, **** the hammer and pull the trigger.
    I used to draw it in like 1964 when I was 14 yrs old, **** it and shoot at bottles and all.
    I've owned all kinds of revolvers. They are great. But they are slow to reload.
    And the don't put the fire power out fast enough.
    Normally when somebody kicks yer door open. There will be two or more people. A revolver just don't cut the mustard dude.
    IF you get a semi automatic pistol.
    DO NOT GET a Cheap one. The cheap pistols and the cheap ammo is what causes problems.

Mabe you should do a couple years in the military. They will train you and you will see more of what I'm talkin about.
    And learn to clean your weapon each time you take it out. And they includes the barrel.

You can jump in with both feet. But do some homework and make a educated decision.

Go rent as many guns as you can.
    I personally like the new XDm 3.8 compact. I have 3 of them.
    Everybody I know that has shot them likes them. Even some glock fans.
    Nobody has said I don't like the springfield.

One buddy tried to find the XDm 3.8 compact and waited 2 months, He got the XD subcompact 40
    He said man what a great shooting pistol. And it has a tight group.
    Can't believe how much I like this pistol. Never heard much about it before I got it.
    I will never sell this pistol.
  5. cardboard

6. cardboard

What I really like about the XDM series of pistols. It has a indicator on back of the pistol showing that it is cocked. You can see it and feel it.
    And on top it has a indicator that shows you that you have a round in the chamber. You can see it and you can feel it.
    With the firing pin and shell chamber indicator, there is no guessing if the gun is cocked and loaded. Daylight or dark.
    With the little extra weight of the weapon it cuts down on recoil
    You choose the caliber you like 9mm, 40 cal or 45.
    All 3 calibers of the XDm 3.8 compact are the same size.

what is difference is the percussion, the weight of the pistol. And the knock down of the pistol.
    I would rent all 3 and shoot them. You will be glad you did.

Springfield XDM 45 3.8 At The Range - YouTube
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

CB, your waisting your time. :rolleyes:
  8. cardboard

I got nothing to do. Family has left. Its Cold outside. And I'm trying to send some info for somebody to think about. And go try.
    If it works great. If it don't oh well.

Been around weapons my Whole life. Was jus trying to share some knowledge that I had. Sometimes if you looked a gift horse in the mouth you still can't hear.
    I can only try. I can't twist any arms.

But for a 1st time beginner. The XDm 3.8 compact is a great carry pistol
    Don't need a Holster. Fits well inside your pants on the cheek of yer butt.
    And it shows you if the pistol is cocked and if there is a shell in the chamber.
    And there is NO safety to have to jack with.
    The pistol is very accurate and shoots super good.
    Hope he at least goes and rents one and shoots it.
    There are Many models of the XDM pistol
  9. FLHTbiker

:roflmao: You and I know all this cause we've been around them all our lives same with HRK but JB is stubborn and is not going to listen to us. Let him buy that big arse revolver in a 45 and think he is dirty harry then see how he likes carrying it. In these times he will find out about carrying one where he can't conceal it, especially in the summer. That big arse revolver would be Ok for home protection but man for on the bike a smaller framed 45 would jump right out of those small hands of his. OH well, the only experience is find out yourself.
  10. cardboard

YOu know some of us Old codgers try to help the new youngans, and they just got a rooster perched on their ears and they don't want to listen to nothing.
    Don't think you know 1/2 as much as them.
    And most times just wants to prove you wrong because you tried to help them.
    Slap the rooster off yer ears. Clean the rooster poop out of yer ears and quit being stubborn and just try what the Old codgers are trying to say.

I worked with a dude that bought a cheap automatic pistol
    He was from Chicago. Tried to tell him to be careful with it or it will kill him
    He was younger and wouldn't hear. I was a Dumbass redneck.
    He wound upshooting himself in the head. They said he laid on the floor and laughed for a few minutes and died.
    What I know I have learned from growing up Being around a gunsmith that was a friend. Being at Ft Jackson South Carolina in the military.
    And being around guns since 1955 when I was 5 yrs old.
    My dad gave me my 1st BB gun when I was 5.And him and my uncles always took me out shooting.
  11. FLHTbiker

Yea CB, I had a great teacher to, my dad. Got my first BB gun about the same age. He bought me a hunting rifle when I was young, a 6.5 Swedish Mauser that had been all modernized. What a beautiful rifle wished I still had it to. He and I hunted together until the year he died. He even bought me my first black powder rifle and then we both got hooked on black powder shooting and joined a black powder club and going to the black powder Rendezvous. Those were good times and yep learned a lot from another old guy, my dad. Some people are really stubborn and know it best so yea just gotta let those kind just stumble through it on there own.

Attached Files:

12. JohnnyBiker

This video really doesn't show anything. All it shows is a guy that on the range shooting a gun. It really doesn't show a comparison between the xdm or any other gun.. So not sure how this helps?

Maybe you are right, maybe I should get a semi auto????
  13. cardboard

It shows the group pattern of how the pistol between the XD model and the XDM model shoots and the pattern dude.
    The XD and the XDm are two different springfield model pistols, Different barrel rifling. Etc.

They didn't show it here. But I was tryin to also show you the firing pin, and the shell indicator on the pistol too.
  14. cardboard

Look at the firing pin indicator. And he will show where the indicator is to show a shell is in the chamber on top next to the crossed cannons.
    He shows its a compact and a full size pistol in one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0-Cq3SmSlE

Comparin it to a Glock.

XDm .45 ACP 3.8″ Compact is the Tardis of Handguns | All Nine Yards

Call the gun store or shooting range that has one you can rent.
    Git out of the house and go stick it in yer hand. Hold it. see how it feels.
    Shoot it.

It will talk to you if you do. Tell you more than I can type.
    You will have to get used to the weapon.
  15. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yep however

Glock. No safety lever
    Sig p250 no safety
    Ruger. No safety
    XDm. No safety

On these the safety is on trigger like glock or backstrap like XDm

Nothing wring with a wheel gun. I know u are going to get the 357. Fine gun.

Btw. Ask to see the sig Sauer p250 in sub compact before you buy. It's a DA gun no safety 9 mm. Light and trigger is like a revolver. So if you like that type of trigger you will live p250

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. Sir Rat

Sir Rat Active Member

Grandads advice on guns...."Son if you're ever in a situation where you think you gotta carry a gun, Get the Hell out!! If you can't get out, and gotta carry a gun then NEVER NEVER!!!! let anyone know you got it. Don't you EVER pull it out unless you have to use it!! If you do pull it out and you have to use it, you better make damned sure you use it in the way it was meant to be used."

I agree on the advice about the bigger vs smaller but maybe for different reasons. I'd preffer to know that my round will stop once it hits its intended target, rather than penitrate on through to anyone else behind the target. IMHO

Aloha...Mike
  17. JohnnyBiker

I seem to be more partial to the .45. I may get the .357 but now I may look at the XDM.
  18. cardboard

If a 45 won't stop them. You don't need anything else.

Go shoot a 357 Sig then shoot a 45 XDm 3.8 45
    If you shoot the 357 sig and you are inside, you will be instantly deaf. That will effect you shooting it again.
    And the 357 sig bullet is more likely to go threw somebody and kill somebody behind them. Meaning a innocent bystander if you are not super careful
    The 357 Sig has a heck of a lot of recoil compared to the 45.
    So if you need more shots because there may be more than one person.
    You Need to deceide . It will be your weapon.

The 45 has been threw several wars, and proved itself over and over.

But since its gonna be yer gun. PLEASE go shoot them before you deceide or buy.
    The 40 and 357 kick more than the 45 cause of the faster moving bullet.

Springfield XDm 40 With A .357 Sig Barrel - YouTube

Go back and watch the 45 shoot.

XDm 45 Compact - YouTube
  19. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Well, heck, I might as well jump in, too. I have shot a lot of pistols and in the old days, sometimes carried, illegally. Wouldn't do that now, of course.

My favorite for up close and personal was a snub nose S&W double action hammerless revolver in .38 special. We used to go to the local dump (when we were teenagers) and practice with it. My buddy had what we called "the cannon", a 1911 .45 that belonged to his dad. When we ran out of rats to shoot, we'd start bustin' bottles and cans. Great fun!

If I were carrying today, I would still go with the .38 - reliable and with a little practice will gun down anything in front of you. Semi-automatics with a lot of bullets, I think, are for those who don't have much confidence they can hit anything with just a few, well placed rounds. If you think a guy's wearing a bullet proof vest, pop a couple in his head.
  20. FLHTbiker

Yea Josh the 38 is ok but a 9mm is better. Why, cause a 9mm can be loaded heavy and the cost of 9mm ammo is way less expensive than the rest. A 9mm will go right through a human killing them with one shot as well as any of them. The 45 has good stopping power no doubt but a 9mm hollow point is an excellent carry because of size of the pistol and cost of the ammo.
    As someones first hand gun I will always recommend a 9mm and a 9mm is what I still carry. I carry the M&P Shield just an excellent choice conceals very well and has a good capacity. There are many very good choices out there but Cardboard because he carries a XDM can't see any other choice. It's a good choice no doubt but the price is very high when compared to many other very excellent choices.
    Go to a gun shop that carries a lot of variety and look at them all, put them in your hands, feel them, then you'll have a much better idea of what you like and don't like.