1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Test Fitting Some Weapons

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Dec 27, 2012.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Got friends with all kinds of guns. I have all kinds of guns. Buy them carry them shoot them and sell them if I find something I don't like about them.
    I was in the neighbors back yard down the street from me shootin the XDM 3.8 compact 9mm I just bought.
    Really don't want a pistol with a safety on the side of the gun.
    I like the 2 safety's the XDM has.
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

CB you are not the only one to know guns, many others have some great experience. Some like a safety some don't its a matter of personal choice for each person.
    I like the 1911 in 45 cal have two, great pistols. I like the Rugers I also have SR9C and SR40C, they are just a fantastic pistol and would put them up against any XDM any day. If you watched the Videos I posted previously of Hickok45 you would have seen how well he liked them and how well he shot with them.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Real men carry 10mm
  4. FLHTbiker

:D How expensive is a box of 50, I know a box of 50 in 45 is not cheap
  5. cardboard

I'm not a fan of a 10mm. And their weight
    Watched one of my Brother in laws git one. Try to find ammo for it.
    Shoot it.
    He wound up selling it and getting a 40 cal.
  6. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

owning a gun and shooting is just like owning a Harley, an't nothing cheap about it. The purchase is just the start, then comes the rest of the stuff, wouldn't have it any other way....
  7. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

8. FLHTbiker

Plus one :D
  9. cardboard

My BIL that is a retired Full Bird Cornel brought his arsenal of pistols out when I was there about a month ago in AZ. He had the Sig SAuer P 250 that is a double action semi auto pistol.
    Its a nice pistol and you can't shoot yerself, till you pull the trigger, it cocks the hammer and the hammer drops.
    For me, its wasting time. I want a combat style of pistol. I want to draw and shoot immediately. I don't want a double action revolver or semi auto.
    I was trained in the ARmy with Automatic weapons. Time could cost you your life if you are ever put in the situation that you must draw.
    Pray that that day NEVER comes.
    The Sig P250 might fit your bill. I would want to shoot one 1st.

His carry pistol is the XD subcompact 40 he got some years ago. There is no indicator to show the things I showed on the XDM pistol.
    But he don't need it after being all over the world in the military for over 20 yrs.
    It was one of the last pistols he got that he liked to tote.
    He stays gone all the time flying a Learjet everywhere. He's hardly never home.
  10. cardboard

11. FLHTbiker

Yep, to many inexperienced shooters do just that to. :roflmao: no safety just grab and bang oops I didn't mean to do that.
    Not referring to you CB but this actually happened in a indoor gun range one day when I was there a couple months ago. New shooter put his finger on the trigger of his XDM pistol and shot a hole in his shooters bag. Said he didn't know,there was a round in the chamber. he was lucky he didn't kill someone. You don't think he didn't get kicked out, immediately. Gonna have a gun gotta learn gun safety and the first rule is never, never put your finger on the trigger until its pointed in the right direction, down range.
  12. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Had a friend years ago in the AF. He got hold of a Walther p-38,(DA/SA)Very nice piece btw. Anywho, he fired 1st round,left finger on the trigger as he went to holster it, yup,shot himself in the shoe. Luckly kept all his tootsies.
  13. cardboard

I spent some time with my nephew who is a doctor over the holidays. Showed him how I wanted him to hold a weapon and where I wanted his right index finger and thumb.
    And to never touch the trigger till you are ready to fire. Make that the @1 rule.
    When you grab a pistol that has a safety like I have, once you have your hand on the grip one safey is disengaged. ONce you touch he trigger the other safety is disengaged.
    And it will shoot immediately after than.
    Don't want you to shoot yerself. And to spend the time just like I spent with you, and go over it again and again with your wife.
    He was thanking me for taking the time I spend with him and letting him shoot the XDm 3.8 compact 9mm.
    Tried to get the OL to go shoot with me.
    She said its too cold outside to jack with doing anything.
    He was telling me how much he like the pistol, how it felt in his hand and how it didn't have the recoil of some other pistols he has shot.
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

the guy that "didn't Know" made a grave mistake and could have killed
    someone on the range. It's why the rules at mine are, empty gun behind line, action open as you approach range, only load mags in stall barrel down range.

Safety is the person,

that P250 also comes in 380 now...

Yeah 10mm is expensive but I picked up 500 rounds at $20 per 50
    at the gun show from GA Arms... FMJ for target...

Normally about $40 a box, it's not a range gun
    its a bear gun. and 10mm isn't as heavy as 45
    it's basically a 40 magnum.. Hits hard,
    great round.... Glock G 29, carry compact,
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  15. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Today I went to a different place and took a look at some pieces. The pieces that I looked at closely today are a Sig .380 (for the wife), an XDM, an XDS, a Glock, an SW MP 40 and an SW MP 45. I did not look at any revolvers as I wanted to look semi autos.

My favorite piece out of these was the MP 40. This gun had everything spaced just perfectly for me. The mag release was placed perfectly which I credited to the perfect handle. I thought that this feeling would transfer to the MP 45 and it didn't at all. My second favorite was the XDS.
  16. FLHTbiker

That's good you looked. The M$P is an excellent line but CB will argue against it.
  17. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I know, but I am mot looking for him though.:D

What are your thoughts of using tools to remove the slide?
  18. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Yesterday the Ol and me took a ccw class, when we got around to shooting it was friggin cold out. We shot a couple hundred rounds each. There was another couple in the class that we didn't know.
    Anyway it was cold 30* and windy. I shot my LC9 for the first time, it shoots good but has a really long triger pull, already ordered an after market trigger hop up. Also shot my SR9, now that one I really like, it weights a little more and has a great trigger pull, even with gloves on. Also shot a Glock 23 .40 cal that had been tweaked a little it was very nice and shot the other guys 9mm don't remember what it was but it was ok. By then it was way to cold to be out shooting.
    So JB what i'm trying to say is try'm out if you can before you buy, just because it feels good don't mean you will like it after you shot it. JMO
    I probably wouldn't buy the LC9 again, even though it feels good. The trigger fix just made the price go up.
  19. cardboard

I'm not a pocket pistol dude. I like double stack. The thicker pistol is what I like.
    But if you like Pocket pistols guess this video might be for you.
    Springfield XDs - YouTube
  20. FLHTbiker

I never like the LC9 just because of that horrid long trigger pull. The trigger pull on the SR9 or 40 are very nice and those guns shoot very well. Your right about looking and shooting. I'm pretty familiar with hand guns and I can pretty much know when I hold one up if I would like shooting it or not. However a lot of people don't have that experience and I agree should shoot them first by either borrowing one from a friend or renting one.
    Sounds like you had a good time but a cold one. We stayed indoors today and went to the movies and saw Lincoln. Obamba boy ain't no Abe Lincoln.