1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Test Fitting Some Weapons

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Dec 27, 2012.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Many pistols have u-tube videos showing how to remove a slide and how to properly clean the pistol including the striker. M&P has a tool built in. XD requires not tool at all. Others require pushing a slide stop out with a punch but again very eacy.
    Here is a video showing how to remove the slide on a M&P, its very easy.
    The State Police here and many other states carry the M&P

YouTube
  2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

XDm comes with a bore brush.
  3. FLHTbiker

I picked up a cleaning kit that covers 22 to 45 cal and includes bore brushes.
    Hoppies has some real nice ones and not expensive either, usually 12.95 to 24.94.

Attached Files:

4. cardboard

All my XDm's come with a barrel brush.
    I will take Gun Scrub and take the weapon down.
    Spray gun scrub on it and let it sit for a few minutes. Brush the barrel out with gun scrub and the brush.
    Then wipe the gun power and all off it.
    Then spray it down with gun scrub again. and wipe it dry.
    Then I take either Remington gun spray, or tri flow spray and put some on it. And wipe the excess off.
  5. FLHTbiker

Every try frog lube?
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You should not need any tools to take down the slide other than your fingers
    M&P has a built in tool to release the mag safety,

There is no reason to remove the firing pin/block and extractor for normal
    use, until you get thousands of rounds through it.

Clean the firing pin hole with gun blast or brake cleaner, put on
    some goggles and shoot some down the firing pin hole if needed
    but unless you are getting light primer strikes leave it be, putting
    cleaners in the firing pin can cause it to gunk up

[YOUTUBE]VlRCL-7z-ak[/YOUTUBE]
  7. FLHTbiker

I've learned from past experiences on a brand new gun to clean the striker channel out of the grease that gets put in em at manufacturing. I remove the assembly and use some brake clean in it. Dry it thourally, seen to many new ones where it was packed with grease, especially the import ones. Both my Rugers were even like that and was causing light strikes.
    Each to there own I just do it as a matter of practice. Lot of the gun talk sites you'll find many recommended it as well.
    Some pistols are soaking wet in gun oils while others are dry when new. But your right always cover your eyes when working with brake cleaner.
  8. cardboard

Dude we have a Walley World up here. There ain't no place to buy stuff like That.
  9. cardboard

10. FLHTbiker

Ever heard of the intranet :rolleyes:
  11. cardboard

Nope
  12. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

The one thing that I did not mention about this M&P 40 is that it was fitted with a barrel that was ready for a suppressor and it had this thing that screwed on to the end of the barrel when there was no suppressor being used. Cheapened the look big time. Now is that an added feature or is that normal to have that on the M&P?

One feature that I must say that I am not impressed with is the fact that the trigger must be pulled in order to release the slide. Just doesn't seem safe to me. I am sure that I would get used to it if I were to purchase that gun.
  13. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, on a different note. Has anyone had experience with PMC ammo. I just ordered a 100rds of .45ACP 185gr.JHP. I'm having trouble finding Federals. Yeah I shoulda Asked before I ordered it but stock running low at most places.
  14. cardboard

Johnny is weight is gonna be a factor to you. You need to stay away from a 45

You should look at only a 9mm
    I would look at the XDm 3.8 compact 9mm
    It holds the most bullets and you need the little extra weight to cut down on recoil
    A few ounces on a weapon I will never notice. You may when you 1st hold the weapon. But after you've handled it for a while. YOu will forgit about it.
    I got used to carrying a 38 lb machine gun.

XDM vs Glock vs M&P vs CZ - 9mms - YouTube
  15. cardboard

Its a pretty hard job cleaning a Springfield. YOu may need a tool box of stuff.
    I use Gun Scrub, the brush that comes with the XDM and q tips swabs and Remington Rem lub.

But you better take notes so you git the weapon put back together.

Cleaning A Springfield XDM - YouTube
  16. cardboard

Know its made in So Korea

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ar-talk/116679-pmc-ammo.html
  17. JohnnyBiker

Where do you get that weight is going to be an issue for me? You have no idea what I am able to handle. I have fired many weapons before and I have a pretty good idea of what it is that I am after. What does the wright of the gun mean anything to a statement about not liking the fact you have to pull the trigger to disassemble?????? :wtf:
  18. cardboard

Was nothing to do with pulling a trigger.
    From a lot of the post you have made.
    It seems like you want a light pistol.
    What you want only matters to you. Nobody else.
    Just thought you might like the 9mm better.
    You can shoot it witout no earplugs outside. Very little recoil.
    It don't have very much recoil. Handles a lot of bullets. Had great stopping power. If its in the house, your wife can handle it easily too.
    Its a very versitle pistol. Its very accurate and easy to shoot.

I have one too.
  19. JohnnyBiker

No I really do not want a real light gun. HRk suggested a really light gun because he assumes that I am going to carry 100% of the time. Not my intention. My intention is to carry when I am on the bike and to do some target shooting. My place of employment has a "No Firearms On Premise" policy so I can't carry it when I am at work. I have to be careful of what I carry when I home as well as my wife does daycare and we have a lot of kids running around our house. I need to be mindful of these facts. I spend a lot of time on my bike, not a lot of getting off and walking around when I am with my bike other than to fuel and eat so weight isn't that big of a concern for me. My biggest and foremost concern is to find a gun that fits my hand comfortably and one that operates with least bit of trouble. Mag release, slide release and dis assembly all play a factor in my decision. As I am starting to find out, not one gun is going to be perfect in all area's. I prefer to have at least 2 out of the three criteria met. I am not going to run out and just buy a gun, I have time to buy it so I am going to take my time and make sure that I buy the one that best fits me. I have looked at the Glock 9mm and I have to say that I did not like how "Fat" it is in the slide. After looking at the XDS, that piece is HUGE!! FLHT is right, it is just hard to beat the compactness of the XDS without going to the SIG Saur 380. Now that is a small gun.
  20. JohnnyBiker

This video pointed out perfect what it is that I like best about the XDm over the M&P. YOU do not have to pull the trigger in order to take the slide off. Just seems safer to me...