1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Test Fitting Some Weapons

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Dec 27, 2012.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

What I was trying days earler. The XDM 3.8 compact. Showed it the weapon was cocked by the firing pin indicator.
    And it showed if a live round was in the pistol by the live shell indicator.
    If the shell is empty, meaning no lead is in the bullet. The indicator WILL no stick up.
    I thought this might be a great safety deal for you.
    And you know if its cocked and loaded.

Hope you at least go shoot the XDm 3.8 compact.
    Got no idea who rents them.
    I read a lot about them. and went to gun shows and talked to a lot of folks that owned them.
    KNow its hard to do much when its the Holidays. And when everybody in the United States is lookin for one.
    Remember Friday a week ago , I called all day and drove 65 miles one way to get the 9mm XDm 3.8 compact.
    Now I have 3 of them.
    The difference in them is the weight of the bullets. Which I forgit real fast.
  2. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Winter Gun Show in Asheville is this coming weekend... looking forward to checking out prices...not buying now, but can't wait to get there...
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

JB, having to pull the trigger is not a major factor when disassembling a slide. You said its safer not to well, If you are not checking your firearm to be sure it is unloaded before cleaning than you should think about even owning one. Sorry to be blunt but safety is very important. Being in the habit of always checking that a firearm is unloaded when handling it should become second nature.
    The deal on the M&P was something that was added the over the counter ones are not like that. They are a very well made pistol and balanced very well also.

The XDM is a very good pistol also but kind of expensive to me. I have the Springfield pistol but in their XD model line. They shoot very well also but price is considerably less. Don't need a match grade barrel for a carry gun. I just took my Springfield XD 40 sub-compact to the range yesterday and at 50 feet put 3 in a head shot and 3 in a heart shot with all holes of each group touching each other. So to me that is pretty good.

Your doing the right thing by looking and touching.
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Yep, agree that you always have to make sure the breech is clear, but the less I have to have my finger on the trigger when not absolutely needed the better I think. JMO. Cool, I am glad that the thing for the suppressor isn't a stock thing because I did not like that on there what so ever. I agree, I think that the XD line is a tad high for what I want to spend but I guess I will spend what is necessary for the right gun. I will talk to my buddy and see if he has an M&P 40 or 45. I am pretty sure that he does not have any of the XD's.
  5. FLHTbiker

Also when looking at the Springfield XDM line look also at their standard XD line as well. Pulling the trigger to release the slide to me is no big deal.
  6. JohnnyBiker

7. cardboard

8. FLHTbiker

9. JohnnyBiker

So far the reviews that I have read say that this mag release extension doesn't interfere. WOW, if that is the case, then I think I found what it is that I am looking for. The M&P 40 fit perfectly and it was easy to reach the release, but the M&P 45 would need the extension. We may be getting closer. LOL
  10. FLHTbiker

Cool, get the M&P 45 and the M&P compact in 40 for carry, perfect match.:)
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Been standard procedure with Glocks for the millions of them
    made, it's not that big a deal and part of the process on striker fired
    guns.

As to checking the chamber, yep every time when cleaning

One gun you haven't mentioned looking at Walther PPQ
    9mm or 40 (I have the 9)

It has a trigger that makes the XDm and Glock look stiff
    probably the best trigger out of the box. For pocket the PPS is
    very nice..

[YOUTUBE]D_QhiTa-7OA[/YOUTUBE]
  12. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

have bought couple thousand rounds of these and probably shot couple hundred so far (not the hollow points, only shoot a few of those) so far no issues what so ever, and good price...at least use to be, haven't bought since the newest attacks on our 2nd admendment rights.:D
  13. FLHTbiker

14. cardboard

Watch him shoot the Walther. watch it turn up slightly with the recoil.

Now watch him shoot the Springfield XDm 3.8 compact

XDm 45 Compact - YouTube
  15. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

16. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

PPQ is a soft shooter, very light recoil, the 9mm is smooth
    the trigger makes the XDm feel like a gritty grainy turd... :D

Please don't tell me I do'nt know nuthing buddy has the 3.8 45
    the 5.25 XDm in 45, I just dumped a 9mm, good guns shot them all
    PPQ trigger is designed differently works better.

Every one of the XDm's I had or friends have dropped in a PRP
    trigger upgrade to fix the gun, makes a massive difference...

PPQ trigger is better than the PRP out of the box.

PPQ is coming out with a 5 inch barrel, standard button release on mag
    for competition like XDm 5.25.
  17. cardboard

1st we are talkin about a 45, then a 9mm
    The 9mm will be a smooth shooter. I was watching the recoil from the 45
    The 45 is gonna have more recoil than the 9mm

I know JB said at 1st he wanted a 45.
    Right now I forgot what caliber he wants.
  18. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

That guy in the video can shoot! I've seen him on the ESPN channel demonstrating his skills. Pretty amazing.
  19. JohnnyBiker

Today was a fun day. I went to two different places and looked at a bunch of guns and even fired one. The pieces that I looked at today that were different are: A Walther PPQ, a Bersa Thunder 45 and a Springfield 1911 45 compact. The gun that I fired was the 1911 45 compact.

I really liked the style of the Walther PPQ. The thing that I liked the most about is the ability to release the mag from both sides with a particular note on how they have hidden it to assist with the look of the gun. I thought it to be really smart to have the mag release as a part of shroud of the trigger. Just beautiful! What I didn't like is that it is not available in the 45 and only in a 40.

I did look at the regular XD series and I have to say that I was not that impressed with it. One thing that I did figure out is that in order for me to release the mag on almost any gun (except the M&P 40) I am going to have to roll the gun on its side. I need to get it out of my head and that I must absolutely be able to reach the the release without doing so. This train of thought does open me up to possibility of the XDS and the XDM now. I am starting to become way more comfortable and I guess I can about take a pick of the litter.

I finally made my way to my favorite place and there I was looking at the Baby Eagle again. Sexy piece, but a little too heavy for me. I kept looking and I happened to notice that he had a Springfield 1911 there that he did not have the last week when I was there. I immediately asked to take a look at it. Beautiful Gun! All Steel and Nickle plated and a 45!!! This gun was used but I really do not care about that at this point. This particular guy will not let you test fire new guns but has no issues with used ones. We put one in the chamber, walked out his door. Right outside his door about 15 feet away there was a shotgun shell laying on the ground. He asked for me to take aim at it. I did, and I nailed it dead on. Put a nice sized hole in it. I was expecting a lot more recoil but to my surprise, there wasn't all that much to be had. I Really Really Like that Gun!!

After the Springfield, we were looking around more and finally I asked him what his favorite in a Semi Auto was. He goes back to his room and he comes out with a brand new gun. The gun that he shows me is a Bersa Thunder 45. At first I kind of looked at it and I wasn't too impressed just with the styling. I held it and I didn't like it as much as the 1911, but there are features that I like a lot about it!! i like the fact that it was a single/double action. I like that there is a regular safety on it much like the Springfield 1911. The Ergonomics of the gun was a little off for me but after holding it for a little bit I seemed to adapt to it. The one feature that I liked the most about it is that there is this neat locking mechanism that allows me to lock the gun. the lock is on the side of the gun (left side of the slide) that when turned, it will not allow the gun to fire, even when cocked and loaded. Considering the amount of children that I have running around my home, this is a great feature to have! More to come, supper time!!!
  20. FLHTbiker

The 1911 pistols are very nice it's why I have two. A Ruger 1911 stainless and a really nice Sig ultra Compact 45 with a 3 inch barrel. They are sweet and very smooth. Mush better than the XDS.

Attached Files: