1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Test Fitting Some Weapons

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Dec 27, 2012.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I was pretty impressed with it. The more and more I look at guns the more and more I think that I would rather have the regular kind of safety on it. Not sure why really but it is just more attractive to me. That Springfield 1911 sure did feel good in the hand that is for sure. I just wish that I could find a Bersa that is used so I can fire one of those.

OL' CB is going be pissy when I decide not to get an XDm... :rolleyes::roflmao:
  2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Just want you to shoot a XDm 3.8 compact 45.
    Glad you are lookin at all the guns and firing as many as possible.
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Think he'll still speak to you :roflmao:
    I'll tell you, you would not be disappointed in a small 1911 45. I found mine at a gun show and it was used. Got a better buy on getting it used. Just remember many used guns will not have a warranty. Where some of the new ones have a limited lifetime warranty on them, could be important.
    How,much did they want for the Springfield?
  4. cardboard

You haven't even shot a XDm 3.8 compact 45
    And if you did you probably couldn't hit a car door with both eyes open and you 25 feet from it [​IMG]
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

13 rounds of 9mm will get the job done, if you like the mag drop on the PPQ that is a good easy reach same on H&K as well. I don't get hung up on the bullet size game it's like bench racing some folks just like to brag about size, the real facts support the theory of more ammo vs larger ammo.

Most shootings, the first shots are off target, I don't care who tells you the will
    hit the target on the first shot, first time when confronted, it's rare, in fact most LEO vs bad guy shootings the LEO's miss the majority of the first 4 or 5 shots... With a compact 45 you are half through the mag...
  6. FLHTbiker

FBI says most gun fights happen in 7 feet or less.
  7. hotroadking

Yep and most initial shots still miss, I like big bullets
    have 44 mag, 357 Mag, 10 MM 40 and 9, the 9 has done
    the job for a long time, and we as civilians will more likely
    never need to fire and if we do we're not going up against
    armed bank robbers with M16 and full body armor.

All the guys doing the killings were reported with armor
    but in reality it wasn't body armor, a 145 grain 9mm will
    do the job..

One reason I gave the PPQ for JB to look at was with his
    hand size, the mag release is ambi and easy to get to eliminating
    his button reach issues..
  8. cardboard

If you learn how to shoot without sights. The 1st 4 or 5 rounds will not all be misses.
    I used to draw a pistol from the hip when I was much younger.
    And when I was at Ft Jackson. They used to put a stick on the sights of the M-16 and make us shoot things.
    It just takes shooting with somebody that can take the time to help somebody new shoot.
    The problem is people want to get laser sights and stuff.
    When you are in a confortation. you don't have all the time in the world.
    Things happens in Seconds. Seconds seem like hours and everything goes into slow motion.
    You have to learn to draw and shoot a couple rounds before you get the weapon to your eye sight.
    Those couple rounds might save yer life .
  9. hotroadking

Don't disagree that practice of the self defense draw is good.
    however 99.99% of gunfights, the first few shots miss, leo or civilian
    unless you have the gun up to the chest.

More is better...
  10. cardboard

Go buy a holster and pistol like the cowboys used to shoot.
    Got to the range or down in the woods. Learn how to draw it **** the hammer and shoot. Sit some big plastic coke bottles and anti freeze jugs, with water in all of it.
    If you learn how to shoot, you may change your mind.
  11. FLHTbiker

So all those shots your missing tell me, where are they all going? I like a smaller lighter pistol either in 9mm or 40 cal I still have my 45 1911 pistol but still prefer to carry my 9mm Shield because of size.
  12. hotroadking

New York (CNN) -- On a busy Friday morning in Manhattan, nine pedestrians suffered bullet or fragment wounds after police unleashed a hail of gunfire at a man wielding a .45 caliber pistol who had just killed a former co-worker.

The officers unloaded 16 rounds in the shadow of the Empire State Building at a disgruntled former apparel designer, killing him after he engaged in a gunbattle with police, authorities said.

Three passersby sustained direct gunshot wounds, while the remaining six were hit by fragments, according to New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly. All injuries were caused by police, he said Saturday.

One officer shot nine rounds and another shot seven.

Police identified the gunman as Jeffrey Johnson, 58, who was apparently laid off from his job as a designer of women's accessories at Hazan Import Co. last year.

Johnson, who served in the U.S. Coast Guard in the mid-1970s, had two rounds left in his pistol. It holds eight, Kelly said.

Read rest of article here

CB is right to practice the problem is he'll be in Houston downtown and someone will not telegraph they are going to rob him, and he's not going to be wearing that owb cowboy holster.

Practice with what you carry, draw and hip shoot, always carry with a round in the chamber, and it's why DA guns rule in self defense, 45s with safety like your sig (and mine) are good as long as you practice.

But for the normal joe, a DA/SA or DAO (like revolver) is best, forget and fire, no fumble, no safety, no switches etc.
  13. FLHTbiker

I practice all the time
  14. cardboard

Practise What !

I practiced at a young man too.

But can you hit anything.

I ain't done it in a long time. I did it when I was young.
    You should practice this. And quit going and shooting like you are doing.

[​IMG]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAeTF4l2pDs
  15. JohnnyBiker

I guess I did not really pay attention to the price on that Springfield. I seemed to be a little more curious about the price of the Bersa than the Springfield. Just one last hurdle to clear before I am ready to buy. Not sure how I am going to be able to fire the M&P due to the fact that no one I know owns one.
  16. cardboard

Ask why........
  17. JohnnyBiker

Don't sit there and think that the only gun that people own here is the XDm. None of my friends have one of those either....
  18. cardboard

And how long do you think its even been on the market JB
    a lot of folks has never even got their ass out and seen what kind of guns are out there.
    They just buy what is on sale .
  19. JohnnyBiker

Not every citizen feels the need to arm themselves CB. If they decide to go out and buy a gun that is their right to buy whatever it is that they want. At least according to the 2nd Amendment. If they want to buy what is on sale, that is their right as well. Just because you like the XDm, doesn't mean that everybody does or should. For me, personally, I don't really like the XDm and I haven't even fired it. I don't like the ergonomics of it even with the different back straps that it comes with. Have you ever thought that maybe that is why other people may have not purchased the gun? I am finding out that I don't like polymer guns. I much rather have an all steel one.
  20. cardboard

I know what other people have the rights to.
    And I see a young person talkin to somebody who has been around guns their whole life.
    And the more you talk about guns the more you show how much you know about guns. Especially polymer guns .

Do you think you are gonna teach me anything about a gun,
    And remember this Cheap guns might get you killed by the way they operate.

I personally don't care what you get. Its your choice.