1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Test rode a 2011 CVO Street Glide today

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Hot01, Sep 4, 2010.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

They have the same frame,trany and engine .
    You shouldn't be able to tell any difference in them.:rant:
  2. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Not true Cardboard. While they might have the same powertrain, the 2011s are far more comfortable. They changed the seat and the bars - maybe some other stuff.
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Harley really needs to make a change to those horrible stock bars. A seat can make a whole world of difference for comfort.
  4. cardboard

Realize the closest Harley dealer is 50 miles from me.
    Haven't had time to look at many of the 2011, but my buddy just brought a 2011 Road Glide Ultra in Saturday. The seat on it looked just like the seat on my 08 Electra Glide.:D

I'm gonna try to go to a HD dealer.
    But we got a Hurricaine in Texas right now and the rain is doing its job.
  5. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

on the 11's they changed the seat so it's narrower in the front and it's a lot easier to flat foot the bike when you're at a stop. I really noticed this on the Ultra Limited, last year's model and the '09's seemed taller [because your feet were splayed out further]
    i noticed that difference from my '04 the 11 was a lot easier to handle in the parking lot..once you're out there on the road they're pretty much the same.
  6. cardboard

What I have heard is HD took the bushings out of the connecting rods.
    That in itself scares me.
    Got to find out more about this.
  7. FLHTbiker

CB, don't you have a 103 in your current bike and if so why buy a new bike with a 103 motor in it.
  8. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I would have to agree with you Sleepy. The bike feels completely different than what it does in 010. As soon as the 011 came out I went to the HD dealer and got on one to see if I liked it. The 011 seat is way different, much better for me since I am a little shorter. One could always slam it too.
  9. cardboard

Got a 103 that I build, Harleys 103 don't come close to my bike.
    I got a Electraglide standard. Silver motor, no chrome..........

I'd like a black motor and chrome and yes I'd do a build on it toooo

the difference in the 96 and the 103 is just a fraction of a inch in the pistons.

And nobody heard what I said about HD takin the bushings out of the connectin rods on the 2011:wtf:................:cussing:
  10. FLHTbiker

I heard it and there was some discussion about this in another thread that I thought Hotroadking had answered.
  11. cardboard

All I heard is maching today is better.
    But parts wear. And if the wrist pin wears, it means you got to split the cases and replace the connectin rod instead of replacing the bushing.
  12. cardboard

I will say this, but I will not say why. But I just found something out.

If yer even thinkin about the slightest thought about buying a 2011 Harley motorcycle buy it before November.:cussing:
  13. FLHTbiker

May as well be the first to say why.
  14. JohnnyBiker

NO Crap, that is like teasing a dog with a bone!!!:wtf:
  15. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

probably using the old con rods up till then then the new ones hit..i'm not sure about that change either
  16. cardboard

Sorry guys, I'm not allowed to say.

Don't mean to sound like a tease. But I could cost somebody their job if this got out..
    This is not priviliged information. And I was sworn to oath not to repeat it.
    I'm just trying to help anybody that might be interested in buying a 2011 bike.
    It might come out in the future but the dealers don't even know this.........:rant:
  17. FLHTbiker

Plan on keeping my 09 anyway.
  18. RaKs toy shop

RaKs toy shop Active Member

Abby, I enjoyed your article on the test ride. I took a Demo ride at Sturgis, the route was self guided, marked with signs and about 14 miles with 6.5 miles of Interstate, I don’t remember them giving any rules or guidelines other than a brief explanation of the route. I rode an Ultra and agree that they are very different than a Softail. To me it sort of felt like a convertible car with no doors, but don’t all you baggers get pissy I’m not knocking them they are just not for me at this time (Wife says I not old enough to appreciate the comforts of a Geezer Glide). As far as the clutch pull of the 110ci. The spring that is provided is defiantly a lot harder to pull. My wife likes to ride my scooter occasionally but does not want a 110ci in hers for this reason alone. My 110ci is not a factory CVO and I don’t know what the differences are. I do know that I consider mine a beautiful beast that has loads of low end torque with plenty of good smooth power throughout the range. I have had hoped up Evos that ran exceptionally well, it’s just that the 110ci does everything so easy, you don’t even think that you are gassing on it till you realize that everyone else is falling behind very quickly. Only draw back that I have found is I get around 3 to8 mpg less than her. Doesn’t really matter to me because I’ve never bought a bike to save money, besides it might have a little to do with the way I ride. (Duh! You think?)
  19. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Don't know what's gonna happen in November other than the Union striking and killing production due to HD threat to move if they don't offer concessions.

HD wants to go to real time production, where volume built equals demand to purchase, this allows better inventory controls, lower costs to the company and higher profits for dealers and HD which of course equals more jobs...

HD now produces bikes all year and has to store them in the winter (costs money) or force them on dealers to hold (costs money in floorplan) where real time production is better, Union of course doesn't want it... Tough, it's the way manufacturing is done today...

The rods are no different than what is used in todays automobiles and we don't worry about pistons flying off the end of a new Ford F150 engine.. It's also been in use in HD engines from 06 forward (same no bushing) with the cams.

The bushing is gone from the cam plate for the pinon shaft, not needed it's not a support piece....

2011 Technical Forum PDF
  20. JohnnyBiker

Well, Yesterday I went to Wild Prairie Harley Davidson and I test rode a 2010 Street Glide that was beefed up to 103 CU. As I had mentioned, I reserved reading this article until after this test ride to see how close to opinion I am with Abby!! Well, the results are in.

I know that this was not a 110 CI but the displacement difference is very little. here is what I thought. We too had a specific path laid out. My first impression of the bike was that it seemed that the bike stood tall for me, but I realize that it is the seat, a little bit too wide in the front, I was balancing on my toes. As we got riding, I thought that the bike handled great. Very stable in the corners, easy to maneuver. I will agree with Abby in the sense that I did not like the handle bar grips or set up at a light. I found also that after a little bit, my left hand was tiring from sqeezzing the clutch, I also shifted into nuetral.

Now this bike was a 96, converted to 103. This particular bike was a Stage 3 set up. I looked at this bikes dyno chart and it was making 97. HP and 102 ft lb of torque at about 3500 rpm. I guess for that kind of power, I think that a bad decision on the cam was made to install on this bike, at least for me. I thought that the response was ok when it was in the powerband, other than that it was ok. I still hate the 6 speed tranny.

I agree completely on Abby's assessment also on the gauges. I would prefer the black background with white letters as well.

If I were to rate this bike, I would give it an 8 out 10. There is nothing wrong with this bike that could not be easily fixed, but abgain, more money for a bike that is about 19k

I am thinking harder about the crossbones, but the winter is coming upon me soon, I have awhile to think about it.