1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

The 2011 Harleys are out

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Jul 27, 2010.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Gas guage is pretty handy too.............:gah:

Mine has a low fuel light that also comes on, tells you that you have like 40 miles left till yer out. Ever seen it ?::D
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

3. cardboard

YOu can fill a Sportster up to the top and ride it till its near empty.
    That will give you a idea on how far you can ride before you can fill up. I normally run about 90 miles on my wifes Nightster before I pull in and fill up and sretch my legs.
    And it has a Peanut Tank.
  4. JohnnyBiker

I put a 4 gallon on mine during the transformation but I am getting such sucky mielage because I did not do the job right. Did you get a fuel gage for the Sporty? Those are expensive!!
  5. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I do mine..first time the low fuel lite comes on I got 40 miles..60 when I'm pulling a trailer..jerry can.......:D
  6. cardboard

No guage on the nightster .......................

Not going to git one on it either.
  7. cardboard

Know this is different than the 2011 Harleys, but I keep hearing that somebody said on TV HD is talkin about pulling out of Wisconson because of High labor cost from the Union.
    What is up with this..............
  8. steveb

steveb Active Member

I think they are trying to do the same thing in Milwaukee they did in York. Get the Union to re-negociate the contract. Right now Harley is outsourcing a lot of work but it is still staying in the USA. H-D does not want to end up held hostage by the Union like auto companies.
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

10. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

There was an article in one of the motorcycle magazines /newspaper that I read about H-D moving their operation to a foreign country because of the labor cost. It might have been one of the Asian countries India, or Indonesia. I don’t remember which country cause it wouldn’t matter to me cause I wouldn’t buy a new one that was not at least mostly made and assembled in the USA. It’s hard enough knowing some of the parts now are made in China or some other foreign country.
  11. cardboard

I know HD opened a Plant in India.
    We have more products made in India than you realize.
    Good leather jackets are mfg in India too.

A lot of yer bookeepin is doine in India and a lot of tech support is in India.

The Union should of be dealt with when the Guberment loaned money to Chevy and Dodge.
    The Union is going to cripple the U.S. in the future.
  12. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the overseas plants are for the overseas markets.......at least for now.
  13. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I don't think the union is holding HD hostage. I think HD is doing what any business would do in tough times..look for concessions from the bargaining unit and from any other source where they feel they can get a better deal. The bargaining unit can decide whether it can live with the concessions and live to fight another day..or not. The one big problem is that once you start down that road..concessionary bargaining ...it can ....and often does... become a race to the bottom..that's a crappy way to live.
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

The real scoop has nothing to do with foreign plants.

HD wants the Union to agree to a change in production schedule that will better fit the demand season for the bike, the union doesn't want the change...

HD sees this as a way to save money, keep people employed and build the bikes in the USA and needs to make the change.

Remember this is a recession, the company must survive or there will no jobs for anyone...

Also HD's previous management has plants scattered all over WI, and WI is a super high tax state, couple that with a Union that is not willing to meet demands, and you get the I'm gonna move rumors.

The new CEO will move it...

In the end the Union will give in and mgt will promise some future deals....
  15. JohnnyBiker

I think that this is the right thing for HD to do. As HRK said, it is all about making money and makes a good point about the taxes that they have to pay in WI. If HD can make money by moving the plant, well, I guess that is what they have to do. The unions are powerless to stop HD from doing this too, with this recession, the unions better be careful because I do not think that companies are going to tolerate that stuff for long. This is a good reason as to why I hate Unions.
  16. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Stopped at another dealer across town today on the way home from a home inspection. :gah: Their prices on the 2011 bikes are really jacked up there. The Road Glide Ultra was marked up 3500 over list and the limited was 4,000 over list. Stick bikes to. Course a salesman comes right up and I told him that they were really proud of their bikes. He got kind of objectionable about it and then said buy it someplace else then. Told him he was an arrogant dude and if I was buying one right now I wouldn't buy it from you guys. I then turned around and walked out the door. Can't believe dealers are doing this crap again. :cussing:
  17. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Its the first fleet of bikes coming out..

They pull that and people will walk like you..

Only a moron would pay over MSRP, heck pay MSRP.
  18. cardboard

I stand and argue with them, tell them how I feel, I will not pay fair market value, Its MSRP or less, and ask to see the manager of the dealership and complain to them too. I also walk over and see another salesman and see if they are doing the same thing.
    And NO I WILL NOT LET THEM CHECK OUT MY CREDIT.

HD set the MSRP prices, that is what the bank lends, over that is money that is thrown away, and that goes to the salesman.
    Also tell them that I will gladly tell everybody I know how the dealership is doing business.
    Its BS:rant:
  19. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Cardboard it was on the price tag hanging from the handle bars so the salesman didn't set the price he was just a arrogant asss hole and I'm not in the market for a bike and not in the mood to argue. When they do that I just leave and don't go back. He knew what I thought of him.
  20. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

From Cheyenne, Wyoming to Pueblo, Colorado is 215 miles there are at least 10 different H-D dealers along that stretch of I-25, why would anyone going to spend 20,000 plus dollars not check for the best deals? Just blows me away people pay over MSRP and then bitch cause they were too lazy to check the other dealers. JMO
    In late 96 I went all the way to Seattle to buy a new 97 Fatboy cause it was cheaper than here.