1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

The 2011 Harleys are out

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Jul 27, 2010.

1. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

When I was looking for a new bike, I went to several dealers around the state to see what they had. If the bike is in their inventory, they will deal on it to get it off the floor. But you have to know what the other guys have first and use that in your bargaining.

When I found the bike I wanted ('08 FLHX) in the color I liked (Black Pearl) at the dealership in Colo. Springs, they were happy to sell it UNDER MSRP because they knew I could buy one from somewhere else cheaper (end of model year), or wait for the new models to come in in a couple weeks.

By the way, H-D manufactures only wheels outside the USA. H-D has an arrangement to get it's cast wheels from it's Australian partnership there. The new operation in India is strictly sales for Malaysia. You will NEVER see an H-D motorcycle made outside the USA.
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Wouldn't buy another one if they did.
  3. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

My question is if HD removed the brass bushings from the connecting rod,cam plate and all how is this going effect the life of the motor
    I continue to hear buddy's say they are scared
  4. FLHTbiker

Was kind of wonder the same thing Cardboard.
  5. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Almost all of the tech support industry is in a different country at some point. I did a big research paper on outsourcing for college and it is amazing, but not surprising what is in other countries from the U.S. The good thing is that stats show that a lot of these things are coming back because of the competition in these other countries is starting to grow so the wages there are going up as well. So we all know what happens when the wages go up?
  6. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I see your point on this, I would not pay over MSRP either, but I am curious to know. This particular bike, did it have some extra goodies on it that would cost them to jack the price of the bike up?? I ask this because I guess if I were looking at a bike a stock one, then right across from it there was the same bike, but with all of the trimmings, but they were asking more for the bike that had dealer installed goodies, which would buy?? Me, I would buy the one with the trimmings if the trimmings were to my liking. Do you consider this as paying over MSRP???

I am in the process of looking at bikes because I am in the market to buy another one. I do this with almost everything that I buy. I tell them that I am looking at numerous places to see what they have and what kind of deals I can get. I agree with you that there is always another dealer. My home dealership is Wild Prairie HD, which is the sister dealership of St.Paul HD which is the founder of the MVP program. I like going there the most, and to be honest, it would save me a lot of money in the long run to buy my bike there because I am a member of the MVP program, I would prefer to buy bike there, but it doesn't automatically mean that I will, even though it will save me a lot of money in the long run. I have been to a lot of dealerships in the past month, and there are 2 of them that offered to give 1k to put towards anything I want, whether it be motorcloths, chrome, big bore kit, whatever, my home dealership has not. What would you do?? Pay full price and get that deal, or buy a bike that has the goodies already installed and pay over MSRP??
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if the bushings are removed....there has to be some type of anti wear device installed....steel to steel wont work, it will wear to quickly.............
  8. FLHTbiker

Well hopefully there going to replace the brass bushings with a material that will hold up longer than brass. Brass is actually a pretty soft material. I can see it would wear easily so replacing it with a better quality material would be beneficial. That is if they do!
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

no inserts at all, the cam plate and rod ends for the pistons are cut to fit, with today's technology, it's pretty easy to get tight tolerance fits with CNC machined parts...
  10. FLHTbiker

Not sure I would likethat
  11. hotroadking

I would imagine HD has taken this into consideration
    as far as longevity and ability to withstand the engines
    demands.

They don't want a rash of returned warranty engines...
    Yeah some things screw up but the cams have been
    in the cam plate from 06 like this and there are not
    any reports of failures where the cams have wore out the
    journals in the cam plate.

The crank is supported by a bearing in the left and
    one in the right case, the cam plate is not a support
    item for the end of the mainshaft...
  12. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Get the one you feel you get the best deal on. you are the one who is going to ride and make payments on it. in the past month I have been to 18 different dealerships and they all want your business, some just more than others.

Was at a dealer Saturday in western Wyoming and a young guy said he was to busy to help me, told him you don’t look busy to me. The owner over heard my statement and came over and was very helpful, when we left the store SHE was having a little talk with the guy.
  13. alex the dog

I want to add my 2 cents on a couple points your talking about. #1) Johnny Biker:I would buy the bike at the dealership where you will take it when it's time for service and warranty work. This is going to happen, so you should be at the place where they will take care of you as a return customer. Plain and simple. When I travel, I don't get the service I'd like.

#2) The cam plate is made from aluminum with clearance for oil lubrication. Metal never touches metal here, as it's not carrying a load. I have over 40,000 miles on my '08 with not one single problem or return for warranty work. Older bikes (pre '06) would have been in for cam chain replacement twice in those miles. Yes, a roller bearing here would probably live longer, but really is not needed. Very best arrangement would be gear drive cams with no chain at all, then you could go 100,000 trouble-free miles.
  14. FLHTbiker

That's why when I had the upgrade on my 01 Springer done I had it done to the new 06 and later setup. Better system and I also upgraded the oil pump to the newer system. 95 upgrade W/211 cams and the whole tensioner system upgraded. They told me that the new system is as good as gear drive and quieter system than gear drive. Its working very well and the bike is just a pleasure to ride now.
  15. chucktx

if i had cardboards money, i would remove the geardrive cam upgrade i did and install the newer hyd. chain tensioner set up............
  16. hotroadking

it is quieter and works well
    changing cams on 07 and up bikes is a piece of cake
    compared to the old design with bearings to
    remove and replace

gear drives are going to be non existent on these bikes
    the run out on the crank is too much for gears
    to run quietly or smooth....

Not enough to be a problem for the
    chains though.
  17. alex the dog

I don't have any experience or know what to expect for the cam-chain life on my '08, but it still rubs on a plastic tensioner. I get a mental image of a chain saw cutting through that plastic at some point in the future.

I'm a mechanical design engineer, and I think about how machinery can last a lot longer without friction devices. Heck, it would be even better if the chain was made the exact length needed without all the lash and the plastic tensioner at all. The Woods belt-drive cams are a good example of what can be done here. Hey, cog belts work fine on the rear wheel.
  18. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Don't worry........
    And quit lettin people scare you.
    Ride yer bike and enjoy it dude.

I have a 08, you have the new style cam plate and new style high volume oil pump, and hydraulic tensioners.
    The spring loaded tensioners were the ones that created more wear and I think ChuckTx had over 35,000 on his 06 bike before he changed them.

You can put over 35,000 on yer bike bike before you would even have to think about checkin them.
    I have a set of Woods TW6 cams in my bike and I hammer it all the time and have over 39,000 on it. I mean i wind up 1st 2nd and 3rd gear to 5200 rpm and wind up 4th gear to 105mph. I don't like to go over that with a full fairing.
    So when I say enjoy yer bike I know you don't have nothin to worry about.
    The chain drive setup you have with the nylon style cam shoes is a good setup.
    In yer primary there is a auto tensioner shoe with the same nylon style shoe on it to keep tension on the primary chain.
    Whatever you do, DO NOT GO TO GEAR DRIVE.
    kEEP yer oil changed every 2500 miles and enjoy yer bike.
  19. alex the dog

Yes Cardboard, I do enjoy it to the max, and ride like you do. Mine is basically stock with Rinehart 2 into 1 pipes, K&N air filter, and a V&H FuelPak. The stock motor does amaze me how well it runs with these mods, and still gets great gas mileage. For steady cruising, it's getting 60 mpg (no lie) and drops to 50 mpg when running hard.

Geez, we took a ride yesterday around the southwest part of the state over 4 mtn. passes (all over 10,000 ft). Rode 356 miles and didn't have to stop for gas until we got home. All the other guys had to gas up along the way. My low-fuel light was on for about 100 miles, and I was a little worried, but I had a siphon hose just in case I didn't make it the last few miles. It's good to know just how far you can go, for the times when there's no one else riding with you.
  20. chucktx

if the other guys were riding older bikes, ya got to remember, your carrying a gallon more gas than they are............