1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

The 2011 Harleys are out

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Jul 27, 2010.

1. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Yea, I know I have 6 gals. The other riders all had BMW's and Honda's, and they said they never heard of any Harley getting even 50mpg. But the gas pump doesn't lie, and 356 miles divided by 5.8 gals. is 60 mpg (close enough) by my math. It made believers out of all of them.
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

That reminds me of when I was getting my endorsement. it is like they were amazed that my 96 has self cancel turn signals and separate switches for the turn signals. All Honda riders.
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

If your getting 60 MPG then I think you may have it set to lean. I've never heard of anyone getting that high of mileage even on a Harley. Not saying your not getting it but 60 miles per gal sounds to good. :)
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

sounds a bit on the lean side to me also........
  5. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

It’s possible to get good mileage in the area he is riding, lots of the roads have 50mph speed limits or less and all are at high altitude 7,000 ft or more. Our 2 bikes get a steady 52 mpg to 56 mpg’s and we are running CV’s.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

thanks harleys.........:)
  7. alex the dog

I asked the dealer about this after my first 1,000 miles, and he explained it this way: the oxygen sensors and the ECU measure the amount of oxygen available for ignition. If you are riding at high elevations (town is at 8,000' surrounded by 14,000' mountains), there is less oxygen. The fuel injection system meters the amount of fuel needed for optimum ignition. So, less oxygen means less fuel is needed.

I know that a motor loses a lot of power at these elevations, but not enough to bother you. I just checked the spark plugs for the first time (42,000 miles) a couple days ago, and they showed perfect color (tan) with no carbon build-up. I don't think anything is wrong, cuz it starts and runs perfectly. No popping or surging either. And I don't ride like the little old lady on Sunday. Some of the guys I rode with stopped coming on our Thursday rides because they said we were riding too fast for their taste.

I don't think that you can adjust anything in the fuel injection system anyway.
  8. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Alex, no you can't adjust it yourself unless you have some type of setup that you can go in and make changes. V&H has a fuel setup as well as others. I have the HD setup and it takes a tech to adjust it, but once they are adjusted correctly one should not have to adjust them again unless you change air and exhaust.
    Glad your getting good mileage, you ever run down in the flat lands and checked your mileage?
  9. alex the dog

Yea, I rode all thru Canada to the Atlantic this May. Took off 6 weeks and had a great time with my wife on back. I did see a big improvement in the power at sea level. Also, my gas mileage dropped to about 50 mpg there, but we were loaded pretty heavy for the trip.

I'm running 2 into 1 exhaust with K&N air filter and a Vance & Hines FuelPak.
  10. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Thunder-Max A/T
  11. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

cardboard mut get a kickback from them ,From what I have read & heard they are backed up for the newer bikes ,& alot of riders are buying something else like the PC5 self tune
  12. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Sounds good to me. If it ain't broke..... don't F it up. :D