1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

The 2011 season

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by sarge7, Oct 2, 2010.

1. RaKs toy shop

RaKs toy shop Active Member

New Mexico has a wide variety of riding. Just depends what you’re into as to where you should go. We range from pine covered mountains to dry barren desert. The entire state is full of history that adds another whole dimension to the experience. As with anywhere a little research can greatly enrich the ride. When you get ready to plan the trip drop me a line and I would be willing to help hone your route to your preferances. As for me I prefer the south half.

Here is a link to a "Trips N' Trails" thread about an area that we frequent. http://bike-talk.com/forum/trips-n-trails-ride-adventure/11913-ruidoso-new-mexico.html
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Every region or state has its own beauty and history that's what makes em so unique.
    What was the cause of all the Tuberculosis
  3. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Go to Key West,Fla or ride to the West coast. Your in Indianna so it wouldn't be that big of a stretch but mister man you will be in for one outstanding adventure. As you know America is multi landscaped, never mind majestic in every sense of the word. If you do it make sure to consider check out Colorado State Rt 550 Between Durango and Ouray...don't ask me why, go find out for yourself,lol.
  4. FLHTbiker

5. FLHTbiker

6. badinfluence63

Or how about that ever illusive ride to Alaska...I dare ya..........:D
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

alaska run...........i so want to do that................
  8. FLHTbiker

Friends of ours did it last year. They were gone for over a month. They rode two up all the way. Their also in their 70's. Yea I would love to do it to.
  9. badinfluence63

Originally we were to ride to Alaska instead of California this year but the service vehicle support crew bailed, they had legitimate reasons(got accepeted to a Radiology Program).

So I have the routes,destinations and logistics of the trip colated and in a folder. I suppose thats the one big one I'd llike to do. I'm 54 and feel pretty good still.
  10. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

I'm pushin 70 real hard and a trip to Alaska would be a little much for me - besides I have to consider the OL's wishes also (for a few minutes anyhow):roflmao: - But the idea of Key West is intriuging! Since I'm going to be in Fla. anyway it would only be another 800 miles down there and it's not like I have to worry about punchin a time clock.:D
  11. FLHTbiker

Going down the Keys in Florida would be pretty cool. There are some islands or something off the Carolinas that would be fun to ride to.
  12. badinfluence63

We rode down there April of '09. The timing was perfect, the weather great. There is a Days Inn right as you get into Key West with a Waffle House next door, room was under a 100$. The island isn't vey big, traffice was medium to heavy even in April, imagine what it would be like in the summer. April was a great time as kids were still in school. I think you really have to be strategic in as much as what time of year.

Mel Fishers museum was great as is Pirate Soul. Lots to see and do in Key West. Lots of weirdos too. There is a all nude bar too. Patrons and waiters.

For the ladies there is a *gag*gag* JImmy Buffet bar and tons of little curio shops. PArking for bikes was no problem as long as you didn't mind paying 5-10$ which I didn't because there were attendents on sight and the cement block walled area had small places for bikes with the sides protected by 6 foot tall cement block walls.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  13. badinfluence63

Outer Banks its called. Rode there December of 2008. In December it was 70 degrees..perfect. Was able to rent a 4 bedroom house for about 135$ a day. BEcause of the time of year it was virtually an empty island except the locals ansd that is the way I like it. On Ocracoke Island is Howards pub with over 200 beer:

:: Howard's Pub :: Beer List Summary

Outer banks is someplace you want to check out but if you don't like painful crowds don't go in the summer. Also you can come in on it thru Northern NC but you'll still have to take a ferry to jump from island to island. We took the Cedar Island ferry to Ocracoke. Dolphins were jumping along side the ferry as we approached Ocracoke Island.
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Here's the plan you need to come down for the first weekend of Bikeweek, less crowds, vendors are hopping, food is good, weather is good, March 4 to 13th, then mid week scoot off to Key West, tons of people do it, and hang in the Keys with some good Rum, seafood
    and just chilling (warmly though)..

Get a room setup early in both places, and have a great time...

lets see march in Indiana or march in the keys..... I dunno LOL
  15. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Ridin in Indiana in March is a little on the iffy side. Last year I took off during the end of March for Tenn. and NC - Weather was a little nippy but the further south I rode the better it got. Had to shed the leathers around Lexington< Ky and didn't need them until I ran the Mountains on the cheeohala trail.
    Lookin foreward to runnin that route again as well as stopping in Maggie Valley, NC to go thru the motorcycle museum again.
    Since it's not that far to the outer banks from Maggie Valley I might take a swing thru there before going to PCB.
  16. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Started gettin some listings on the 2011 events and will be able to start a primary workup on my travel plans in Jan. - Looks like the economy is pickin up a little so people will be doing more traveling this coming year instead of staying close to home.
    Still leanin toward a run down to Florida with a swing back thru the Ozarks time permitting. :D
  17. TampaTempest

TampaTempest New Member

UNCLE JOHNNY'S NOLICHUCKY
    HOSTEL & OUTFITTERS in Erwin, TN right on the Appalachian Trail. If you get a chance it's a great stop and the best hostel around!
  18. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

good info post......
  19. badinfluence63

Other then several day rides and a couple 4 day weekend rides, this year I'm laying low. I got only 2, week long trips planned. One to Pigeon Forge,TN and ther other to Harrison,AR(The biker resort called"The Hub"). Daughter getting married in November so theres 2 weeks down the ****ter not to mention yobs of denaro.

Next year....I got a good one planned though.
  20. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Plans are being made to go to PCB THUNDER ON THE BEACH again this year then a side trip down to central Florida to check out some real estate with the idea of moving down that way next winter aka:snowbird - if the OL and I like it we could be moving south for good. Gettin damm sick of snow and sub-zero temps and to old to hibernate every winter. :):D:D