1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

The End of Red Rider?

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Red Rider, Feb 18, 2019.

1. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

You think heated grips are worth having if you don't have them?
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Tuneage? Nah, I'm always talkin' & singin' to myself, so don't think so. Really, if I find a reasonable priced, quality system that is just speakers on the bars, I may go there. But I get claustrophobic behind fairings .[​IMG]
  3. badinfluence63

Damn that a sweet looking bike. And 114 too. Is that the best bike you ever owned? Gonna add a sissy bar so you can have a pack on it when you're touring about?
  4. Red Rider

I've only got a little over 60 miles on it, so I can't be too thorough in my assessment yet - but it sure seems like the best bike. Kinda better be, as it was the most expensive!

Yeah, gonna change the seat to a Mustang and put a sissy bar on back (detachable, of course).

As for heated grips, I have to say I wish I'd always had 'em. Makes riding in the 30's possible and convenient. If you want to ride more often and in more places than Florida, (yeah, that's a nod to all ya Floridians, which I was once upon a time), they are great. I've had them for years on my Suzi DR650SE, which is my hunt-scouting bike, and they've more than proven their worth. That bike has brush guards for the rider's hands, which also block wind, so I wasn't sure how good they'd work on the Harley - verdict: fantastic! Seriously, they make an amazing difference during cold weather riding, even if the left hand grip looks a little different. My 650's grips were about $200 cheaper, so I expect there are other aftermarket heated grips for H-D's that work just as well that are a lot less $$$.

There is only one thing that is just a little disappointing about this ride: I can't see much wrenching ahead. I mean, I messed or changed the cam, carb, rear sprockets, stator, pipes (multiple changes) and more on my '99 FLHR. With this bike, at least so far, the only "performance" thing I may change are the pipes, just for more sound - heck, it came stock with a K&N air cleaner! Right now, changing the oil is about all I can see doing. I guess I'll just have to spend more time riding!

C'mon out to the Great Wide Open, BI, and I'll let ya take "Cherry Red" out for a spin. I still have "Ol' Red" around to follow ya with, even if I won't be able to keep up!

I hate them full face helmets, but love to ride more than I hate 'em. 36 degrees & the sun is mostly up (overcast) - time to ride.........
  5. badinfluence63

Fab critique on the new bike. Perused the hd heatd grips...206$ for the basic black ones. Gonna get them on your reasons. Cause it gets cold up here early. Never gave it a thought beyond heated gloves but then that would take away a plug in for the heated vest(s).

Not much wrenching's a good thing! Glad the bike sounds like a wonder. Tempting to go M8 myself but happy with my '15. Lowered from the factory(25.6 ladened), not sold on twin cooling, 6 gallon, 103. Plus i got her set up with xm radio,8" bagger bars,luggage rack. Just need heatd grips and highway pegs and i think i'm good.

This first year of Karen's retirement (August 1) we'll probably stay w/in 500-1000 miles of home taking weekend and mulitiple day trips. Need to catch up with yars of neglected friends and family in RI and Connecticut. However next summer....you never know. Still have a ride to Alaska stuck in my craw,lol.
  6. Red Rider

Well, if I run out to Minnesota to JohnnyBiker's kingdom this summer - and that is the plan - maybe we can meet in between there and your place...or I might wanna keep moving along to your place, which is no more than a day-night-day ride. That would definitely be a during-the-ride decision, as I current have an aversion to crossing the Mississippi, unless it is in Louisiana. We'll see. Now time for a new thread on modification!
  7. badinfluence63

Possibility meeting 1/2 way fron Minnesota,depending if after August 1st?
  8. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Best of luck!!!
    Red Rider likes this.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Heritage is a nice bike, one of the better IMHO it's lighter, quicker, has all the storage of a RK.

For tunes, phone (safety) etc get a BT headset from Scala Rider, that way your
    smart phone can connect to the head set and you can play Pandora, Prime Music, take calls, use the GPS and no speakers to connect to the bike.

Yeah you have to wear a lid but you said you were trying to save yer skin from wind, sun and rain anyway. LOL

Theres a lot of performance upgrades to the 114, they have Stage 1, 2, 3 and 4, and there is a company making a drop in cyl kit for the 114/117 that takes it to 128. For now though I'd just ride it the 114 is nice. I would add a heel shifter, too used to it after all these years, not sure why HD left that off...

Call my buddy Phil at 785 243 9991 at CA Phils Shop, he's a Mustang dealer and can get you a deal, order the backrest too might as well be able to roll on and lean back... Tell him HRK sent you, it's snowing like crazy in KS, he's probably looking for something to do LOL (He's closed Mondays)
  10. Red Rider

Oh, THAT Phil!

Yeah, went to hit the heal shifter already a bunch. But I don't have it on my other bike, so I'll see if I get used to it. I wore it out once on the 'King, and repairing/replacing was a pain.
  11. badinfluence63

Went to the local hd shop Saturday for an hour to kill time and to check out bikes and winter jackets. There was a couple flhcs bikes. I think you picked the best color available. The blue and white makes it look like a Kawasaki to me.

They had a floor full. Limiteds,street glides,all kinds of RG's,sports etc... The had a orange and black CVO RG...42000$. The bikes in general are getting more pensive.

Hate being reminded how poor I really am,lol.

I like the air cleaner on my 2015 compared to the air cleaner on the m8's. Plus not a fan of water cooled yet.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  12. hotroadking

CVO's have gone up they are making less of them too.
    While expensive, if you are one of those folks that likes
    to fully customize a Harley, it's actually less money than
    buying all the stuff the CVO's come with.

No they are not inexpensive, then again base HD RG Ultra
    is about 30 so...

JMO,
    Heated grips are worth the money IMHO.

Backrests are as well

LED Lights a must...
    Red Rider likes this.
  13. badinfluence63

I'm only bitching about prices cause i'm pooor. If i had mad bank, heck i'd have the most expensive Harley AND the new ford f-150 harley edition which is 98,000$ out the door. But i don't so i won't,lol.

I consider myself fortunate to have the 2015 flhtcui i have.
  14. Red Rider

I waited 20 years between Harley buys, that is how I could afford the new one. Mainly, I just wanted a bike with less for me to worry about.

Heated hand grips, backrest seats, engine guards & highway pegs are my "must haves" that are not necessarily included on new bikes (LED lights, EFI, ABS and cruise control are standard now).

Got my Mustang seat on now, but my driveway is a quagmire - my high desert home is not used to all the rain we've been getting - so I've not ridden since putting it on.:rage:

My wish list for the new bike:

-Louder pipes (can't do under warranty, so will have to wait until I am willing to risk voiding it - Street Cannon Mufflers, the H-D version of loud pipes are, well, not sufficiently loud). A year or so will help the aftermarket guys make some better options available.

-New handlebars, more ape-hangerish, probably Todd's Cycle 14". H-D's Fat Chizeled :)wtf: with the name?) actually look cool, but they're only 12" - though I still may settle on 'em

That is all. Sure, I might want to get cooler looking air cleaner, but the stock is K&N, so it wouldn't be about function. Any other mod is up to my whim of the day.

B.I. - Once you have 'em, I think you'll be mad at yourself for not having heated grips sooner! I now I am.:banghead I recommend you shop around the aftermarket, first, as you may save a good bit and actually like styles other than H-D more. If you're not in a hurry, bike rallies often have deals where they install while you wait. FWIW, I'd take heated hands over heated vest, you'll see why.
    :cigar:
  15. Fatboy128

Yep. Yoouse guys convinced me to shop for heated paws for my '05 Fatty Boy specially since I only have a windshield an youse have fairings (xcept X Red Rider)
    Red Rider likes this.
  16. hotroadking

The basic HD heated grips are good, you know they'll fit and plug n play JMO.

I've had them on the last two bikes and even in FL they are worth it, cold damp evening rides back from Daytona or when you go out for a ride and just want to keep the fingers warm, they are worth it. (Seat heaters not bad either lol)

IIRC you said something about tunes, since the Softails don't have an integrated radio system, I'd look at a helmet based BT system. Sena and Scala sell them, I'd opt for Sena as they have the best stuff, pop on a BT headset with Microphone and connect it to a smart phone.

You can put the phone in your pocket, or, use an X Mount Ram mount on the bars so you can see the GPS/Screen if you like. This way you can stream music, or play off your internal tunes direct BT no cord to your headset, you could also hear GPS signals and take/make phone calls from the bike should you need.

You could even install a charging port, put a USB plug in and keep the phone
    fully charged as you ride.

https://www.sena.com/motorcycles-powersports
    Red Rider likes this.
  17. Fatboy128

Ordered me HD heated grips.
    Red Rider likes this.
  18. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Was looking at them all. HD look like the way to go but a lot $$ for the mild winters here. Sticking with gloves for now

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk
  19. Red Rider

Gloves worked for me for a few hundred thousands miles or so, for sure. They are certainly a luxury, in FL as well as elsewhere - but, when cold, what a great luxury!
  20. badinfluence63

209$ for basic black heated grips not bad. The fancier ones more. Who needs fancy. And all the reviews on the basic black ones are 5 star.