1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

The New Indian: A Test Ride in Review

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Apr 9, 2014.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I've heard the Polaris Victory is built like a tank, maybe true.
  2. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the Indian is a Victory w/ flared fenders?
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I thought that bike over all rode well. Just pointing out the things I noticed that I liked and disliked.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  4. FLHTbiker

Could be on some of it and have wondered about the frame, but the engine is not the same as the Victory.
  5. JohnnyBiker

I will say that there were a lot of Victory riders at the dealership. Indian will survive under the Polaris banner. Love the flathead look of the Indian engine.

6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

there totally two different bikes ,I have seen them side by side & have ridden both
  7. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Yes, good intel. So far most of what I've read about the new Indians (and Victorys) is basically good. I'm not crazy about the styling on either one, but I think Harley is going to have to ramp it up a notch or two to stay competitive in the future.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  8. FLHTbiker

I don't think Harley has anything to worry about. The Victories have been around for a while now and don't see a big impact with them. Plus with the lack of dealers for Indian they won't make much of an impact either. That tan leather on the Indians to me looks out of place especially on a black bike. Others will probably like it but to me its mismatched.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  9. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  10. FLHTbiker

I just added some pics in my first post
  11. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

What Victory doesn't have is the name, not yet at least but by buying the rights, building the bike and pricing it the same if not cheaper than a comparable Harley, I'm talking Indian now, they're in the game. This could shake things up a little, and guessing by the reaction from Harley, I'd say they did. I've seen a few Indian resurrections and people, at one time, were paying stupid money for an S&S clone. There was a big buzz in Sturgis last year over the new Indians. Harley, wisely in my opinion, had their demo rides in Rapid. I don't think Harley is going to get killed by the Indian but as the Indian dealer network grows and more people get on them things could get a little Interesting. At the very least there is finally some serious competition out there. That's good
  12. JohnnyBiker

Harley is starting to attack a whole new market with in introduction of the 500 and 750 Street. I agree, Indian will make a splash and will put HD to the design edge.

I did happen to see the Vintage decked in all black leather the day my dad, Hot Rider and I went to the Donnie Smith Custom Bike Show. Now that was a good looking bike. :B

13. FLHTbiker

I still don't think HD will be overly affected by the Indian. Look how they have stood against all the import bikes over the years. My money is still with Harley.

I still also think the Indian bagger with that fairing is ugly.
  14. JohnnyBiker

I don't like the Chieftan either. I agree that Indian will never be able to over take Harley, but it can influence them.

As far as the metric competition, that is the precise market Harley is attacking with the Street. Harley needs to offer more to the marketplace.

15. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I've been riding a victory past couple days and love the engine and tranny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  16. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Hd's market Is sagging. The bubble of their maker has past by them. They have to get younger people in. Price and insurance are issues

If you think HD isn't concerned you'd be wring.

If they lose 5% of the heavy cruiser mkt to Polaris that's huge to the bottom line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  17. FLHTbiker

Well OB said I'll give you change and he did. But change was not so good and now they want to throw the bum out. Gotta be careful how much change they put out.
  18. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Interesting read from start to here, thanks, JohnnyBiker for sharing your impressions both good and bad of the Indian you tried out. The comments from all are interesting to read, not filtered by magazine editor. The new bikes from Indian really seem to have people talking, and if Indian marketing gets smart and gets some well known celebrity motorcyclists on a few, who knows where their products and comments on them will be in 10-15 years.
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  19. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Texas between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls
    Jay Leno has already given them a thumbs up for whatever that means. He does have a lot of vintage vehicles and did a little comparison of a vintage Indian to a new one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hzPwvVoqyHs

Don't understand why the link was just a list of videos but I just updated this thread to put up the one I was referring to. I hope!
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  20. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

I had not seen that. That was a cool vid! That fairing looks a bit "clunky" hanging off the front on the road test, maybe the chrome bezel around the headlight, or the LED signal lights with the chrome, but something looks out of place. Prices don't sound too bad for a produced in North America product, maybe daughter will have to settle for a less expensive university.