1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

The New Indian: A Test Ride in Review

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Apr 9, 2014.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Thanks RG. Maybe my review would have been better if the salesman took more time to go over the bikes features. Everyone around here that I have spoken to all pretty much say the same thing. As of now, the Indian is basically a soft tail clone, in specific a Heritage.
  2. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

was going to quiz you on the Heritage compare. I was think Chieftan but the unfaired bikes are what you were referring to. I am assuming. It's like a Softail that goes faster. The Chieftan's target is Harley's bread and butter Street Glide. I'm waiting for them to come out with something like a Scout. One of the biggest impressions made on me, aside from the obvious power difference was how much lighter they felt which translates in how easy they are to ride.
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Have not rode one yet, saw them in Sturgis but they were not open for test rides yet when I was there. We were there a week early.
    That video with Jay Leno was one of the best I've seen.
  4. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

I been a HD die hard and despite most of the people who ride them now and I'll most likely stay a die hard HD rider.

***although the HD dealers are getting on my nerves. And would be enough to make me switch to Indian.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  5. badinfluence63

Thanks for sharing.
  6. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

I don't know if "clone" is the right term. From what I've heard, it seems lighter, more powerful, and apparently the engines can go upwards of 100,000miles without major disassembly. The salesman you dealt with seems like he is "cloning" the usual H-D sales pitch of "here's the bike, now don't bother me anymore", but the product itself sounds like an improvement over what the market currently offers. I think as it stands you had produced an excellent review of real world testing, not journalist/ industry supplied white wash. I look forward to getting to try one locally if we ever see one here.
  7. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

After four days with a Victory I can say that the engine is strong , smooth, quiet of noise and based on my son and his mechanic associates very very reliable. I don't care for the overall styling for the most part . The Indian I am sure will have all the positive aspects as the victory engine. Indian styling for me is mostly gaudy however the basic one is ok in my book. Having said all that if I were in the market for a new bike it would still be a Harley. I'm sure no explanation here is required. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  8. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Texas between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls
    I should have tested one already because I'm sure I would be on one. As it is now, I'm broke down. Rear cylinder shut down this weekend. Timing has never been good with me.:D
  9. Roadster guy

I agree completely. The Indian styling (like my old Drifter) is a bit over the top with swoops and curves, and I find the Victory products to be too angular and out of proportion. The Harley has the look, and usually the sound. (maybe not the V-rod, but anyway). Plus I can't afford to replace all my T-shirts again! Guess I'll stick with H-D.
  10. Fatboy128

Hah! I didn't think of the T's ! Good point.

11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Hmm got rid of almost every tshirt except a few from overseas, had a shidtload of them, one favorite was from Idaho... some dealer out in the middle of fuggin nowhere...
  12. FLHTbiker

Been to all of them in Idaho, wonder which one it was. By the way all of em except for Boise are out in the middle of nowhere. That's what I like about Idaho.
  13. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

what model have you been riding , & for the T's you make a quilt out of them LOL
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Blackfoot ID Used to be BLackfoot HD now it's Eagle Rock

Had a cool indian in the logo...
  15. Fatboy128

My son has an 8 Ball that I have ridden the most. I Also road the cross Road Classic. Both impressed me.

16. FLHTbiker

Harley has always done me right, guess I'll stick with them, besides they haven't made one to look as good as my two Heritage Springers yet.

image.jpg image.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  17. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

my son-in-law had a 8 ball very good riding bike I've only test rode the cross country & I liked both the Cross country is so easy to lift off the kick stand was very easy on my knees ,FLHT those are some good looking springers
  18. badinfluence63

But the flared fenders are the Indian trademark from back in the day,that and the lit indian on the fender....big difference between the Kaw Drifter and the indian is on the indian the fender is metal not cheap ass plastic
  19. Roadster guy

Yep, every time I used to tap on my old fender it had the soft click, click noise of plastic, not the tink tink of metal. One of the things that drove me away from the Asian bikes. Nothing like the feel of steel.
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  20. FLHTbiker

When they start opening some dealerships in all states then you'll see more individuals buying them. I just hope they don't let Arlen Ness do any of the designing.
    badinfluence63 likes this.