1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

The New Indian: A Test Ride in Review

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Apr 9, 2014.

1. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Worthy a test ride for a valid opinion
  2. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Texas between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls
    If we ever get a dealership within 200 miles, I sure will. Just too many conflicting opinions.
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yea I'm not about to ride 2-300 miles just for a test ride.
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  4. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

I'll go 200. That's just a real good day of riding. Won't go more though. I think I heard there is one 242 miles away now and I won't touch it. They are getting closer all the time. Heard there is one opening in Dallas. That's about 60 miles for me but I'm looking at it like it's 300 away. I hate Dallas.
  5. FLHTbiker

The closest one for us is in Seattle and refuse to ride in Seattle traffic, very scary and very dangerous.
  6. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Just read a long term road test on a '14 Indian Chief by motorcyclist magazine. 8,ooo miles and there is an oil leak at the front of the right engine cover and the front brake developed a growl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

journalist in test fleets are like people with rental cars rode hard put up wet
  8. FLHTbiker

Just shows even they are not perfect, go figure. Shock :eek:
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yea they ride the snot out of them , But there air cooled ,not like the new HD fancy bike That had trouble leaking I know not all new HD;s are cooled by ant- freeze but they do have them now , don't think I'll ever give up my HD but I did /do like the new Indian M/C
  10. hotroadking

Heck if that's all that goes wrong in a Journalist fleet it's nothing, those guys are brutal on bikes...
  11. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

If they brought the Indian in for maintenance at the prescribed intervals, there shouldn't have been any problems.
  12. sameolddoc

sameolddoc Member

I guess the one thing that just doesn't sit right with me is how Polaris tossed up all those videos some years ago attempting to trash Harley for the alleged technological superiority of their Victory engines, then turned around and pretty much went right back to designing the Indian's engine with those very same "flaws" they accused Harley of having.
  13. FLHTbiker

;) Interesting isn't it.
  14. hotroadking

one bike isnt an indication of the whole production
  15. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

All this talk, peaked my interest. Looked it up, dealership 48 mikes away in SC. Think I might plan a ride down there and test ride one...
  16. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Hmmm. Guess I never looked at that way. But then they went and got more horse power without any additional heat when Harley said that's it. All with this "flawed" design. And here's the thing with me. Who the hell says the EPA has the standards correct for reduced emissions? I've never understood how using more fuel to lower emissions was right. Yet that is basically what is happening. Especially with this ethanol crap.
  17. sameolddoc

sameolddoc Member

Well, they have their trade offs. Indian made more power, but it's also an almost 8% larger displacement engine. I really am no great fan of the TC engine in current Harleys. I think they would have been better served continuing to refine the Evo, but then again, Harley seems to think just because others did it, they need counter balancers and all that other added crap. I'm a firm believer in keeping things simple.

As for ethanol, well, it does burn cleaner but like you said, the trade off is having to burn more of it. Not to mention how much hell gasohol is on rubber parts in fuel systems. Personally, I think it was a done deal to make corn farmers wealthy. (Or at least the middlemen in the whole scheme.)
  18. Fatboy128

Back in the do called gas crisis 80's they blended the ethanol in and it was to kill 2 birds. Help the farmers and supposed to cut down on imported oil.

19. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Yeah, it ain't the farmers. It's those damn futures speculators. They should all be shot. There is a middle for the middle man for the middle man kind of thing. The whole process is chuck full of worthless middle men.
  20. Fatboy128

Yeah but that is the way of a free market society. Government regulation scares me more.