1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

The New Indian

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Aug 5, 2013.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

NOrmally it rains a bit in the afternoons but this month well, last month was monsoon month...

and we're just hitting stride in the hurricane season...

Got to get some gas in the 5 gal cans, put in some stabil, stock up on water,
    beer, vodka, get a portable AC unit, and more ammo for the coming apocalypse
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

The water Moccasins, Pythons and gathers the coming apocalypse during the hurricane season :roflmao:
  3. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

. . . and don't forget the cigar LOL.
  4. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Texas between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls
    Been a while since I was here. I saw the new Indian and thought it was ugly. But the more I see it, especially in motion, the more I like it. I doubt I'll ever have one for the simple reason my next ride will probably be a trike. Really wish they offered one up. They could go after two markets. Harley trike owners and Can-Am Spyder owners. And Can-Am has real problems with their 2013 models. The darn things are going up in flames. Really! I know Polaris has one target but they really missed the boat here. The other place they missed is not having an entry level bike. There are a lot of people that might like a Indian but in no way can afford that kind of money. Get them hooked then sell the big stuff. And finally dealerships. They should have had more ready to go. Not a single one in Texas or Oklahoma, my general area. No way will I travel 600 miles to get one service for some stupid warranty work. Nope, I think they have a long haul. And if there is any problems and there is bound to be some, I think they are sunk. Don't know if even Polaris can ride out that if the problems are tough. I'll just sit back and see if they are still around in 5 years.

Oh, reason I've been gone. Had to have bone graft from leg that did not heal in crash 18 months ago. It has been like crashing and recovering all over. What a pisser!
  5. FLHTbiker

Hope the leg heals and your back to riding again.

I agree with you on the dealer network, none here Oregon either. To bad that Polaris couldn't service them in the meantime.
  6. hotroadking

Ya mean like this one?

[​IMG]

My guess is that after a year or two of consumer based road testing
    a trike won't be far behind...
  7. FLHTbiker

Needs a back rest for the passenger otherwise the bit(h will fall off when all that torque is applied. :D
  8. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

I could totally dig it. Now you see how easy they could have done it.:)
  9. joshbob

I don't like the way the front caliper chops into the front fender like that. Just nit-pickin' - it's an impressive machine.
  10. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

That is SWEET!!!!!
  11. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Looks really nice but, I tried a Harley trike during Laconia Bike Week at the Harley demo ride tents. I really don't think I could ride one. If I get to the point I can't stand up on a two wheeler, I'd probably have to go to a Can Am or something like it. An old gray beard friend had to go to one and he loves it. This is a guy who has raced and rode two wheelers all his life.
  12. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

They do handle totally different. I actually got one for those days I didn't think I might not be able to hold the EG up. Wife stole it. So I gained a riding partner but lost my three wheels.

The thing takes some getting used to. VERY quick steering. You have to have a light touch or you are wiggling all over the road. And it is so computer controlled that if you try horsing around with it, it will go into limp mode and stop you. I don't like being told what to do so it's probably good that she took it from me.

And the 2013 models have REAL problems. Heat and lots of it. To the point of going up in flames. Glad we got one before these problems. But if we can swing it I'd like to try a Harley trike when they get the independent suspension in them or I'll keep my eye open for a good used 2012 Spyder when I really can't handle the EG.
  13. FLHTbiker

The wife has a Harley trike that I have rode several times. She really like it and I didn't think it was all that bad. I know for me I could never ride a spyder there just butt ugly, sorry just can't get past the ugly factor. Wonder if they ever got there fire issue fixed.
    To me they are a snowmobile on wheels. Each to his own.

How about Boss Hoss Trike
  14. hotroadking

Now that's a trike... Boss Hoss...
  15. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

amen!!!!!!!
  16. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

The bike pictured is an older model from the last manufacture the new motor doesn't look quite like the one pictured here, just say'n
  17. joshbob

Man, the Boss Hoss! '57 Chevy written all over it :cool:.

I've never ridden a trike, but I'd ride that one (if they'd let me ;)). They may handle differently, but the thing is - you're still in the wind . . .

Have to say I don't care for the Spyders. Two wheels up front. That's weird. And yes, they're butt oogly, too. A yuppy's ride.
  18. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

The Spyder does handle better than a conventional trike. That much I have to give them credit for. But you do have to lean your body into corners to keep from getting thrown off. Takes some getting used to. Been watching my wife go through that learning curve. And we replaced the sway bar to a more robust one and now she sticks to me like glue in the twisties. So I don't know for sure if I'll go with Harley or not when I'm forced of what I got. I'm thinking seriously of putting those ugly training wheels on because I really hate to give up one nice running machine. So you want to talk ugly. A four wheel Harley is ugly.
  19. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

You callin me Yuppie! I tell ya what, go ride a Harley trike and tell me ya like it you ol redneck you! Lol
  20. FLHTbiker

Fatboy the wife rides her trike in the corners better than most men on two wheels. Even Maddog said once in a set of real twisties I was going through them at a fast pace and I would look in the mirror and their was Pat. He also said he thought she was going to ride up on his rear.
    A good trike rider can put a trike through the corners like no buddies business. Oh, make no mistake Maddog is no slouch and is one of the better riders in corners that I have known.