1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

The New Indian

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Aug 5, 2013.

1. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Texas between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls
    I've been snooping the Indian forum looking for past complaints. If they continue to support the end users like I'm seeing, Harley may have a battle in front of them. But I don't see how they could if they selling them in any kind of numbers. Time will tell.
    Brandon Sheley likes this.
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Just reading American Iron where the Chiefs are introduced. I have to admit, the basic Chief looks good. and for 18 grand not too shabby.
  3. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

They ride pretty nice too. Low centre of gravity, pretty nimble and the engine pulls pretty hard. They don't have a trunk or passenger floorboards yet..when they do I could be in trouble. The Ultra felt heavy and slow compared to the Chieftan. The adjustable windshield worked well. The stereo was ok. A lot of folks didn't like the art deco locomotive look to the fairing. I thought it looked ok. The Chief Vintage is the best looking but the Chieftan would be the one I'd buy. Indian had a lot of bikes in their demo fleet at Sturgis, they had rides going out every 15-20 minutes. Harley ran their demo rides out of the dealer at Rapid. I didn't get any pictures, camera had dead batteries. There are a number of things I prefer about the Harleys but if I were in the market for something like a street glide I'd give the Chieftan a long look.
  4. Fatboy128

Well I guess my short trial ride wasn't long enough. The steering was a b_____h. If the day comes certainly I would go for a longer test.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

A new trike will set ya back some green, if you need help because of a bum leg, bad knee or maybe yer
    wife has put on 200 pounds since marriage and you need help holding it up at stop lights when she twists around to yer tour pack to grab a box of ho-hos for the next block check out the leg up landing gear. LOL

http://www.landingear.com/

this is made by a shop here locally I know the owner they have worked hard to build up the
    product and I've seen it work, so if you can still ride and just want some assistance when stopping
    this is a good alternative.
  6. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

I've seen that "thing" in action. So have considered it myself. Even went so far as to find a dealer near me. I'm also considering making my bike a four wheeler with the detachable trike conversion. Both options are some bucks. The outriggers not so ugly and leaves the bike lean-able. That part I really like. The dealer near me doesn't have the greatest repetition though. Can't have everything as it looks like it installs in the same spot my EZ-up Wheeldock center stand goes.
  7. Fatboy128

Like someone said earlier where is the dealer network? No dealers here.
  8. hotroadking

We have three in FL, one in Duhtona, so not far from me...
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yea they are far in between for sure. Places like Florida will have em but try riding across the country and have a breakdown, Sheet out of luck
  10. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

My thoughts exactly. I've heard that Polaris dealers will fill the void for a while. Don't know if that's fact or even good if it is. That's one area Harley has nailed. You don't have to go 400 miles out of your way if something happens. They are just about everywhere.
  11. Fatboy128

I just wouldn't feel to confident taking my scooter to a jet ski or tab dealer.
  12. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

13. hotroadking

Polaris is a good company, it's not some fly by night operation
    and they have good dealers, buddy is on his second Victory, loves them
    looks good rides good, his dealer is one of those combos, and if you go to
    any Rice dealer you see them selling multi lines including 4 wheelers etc.
  14. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Yeah, the Honda dealer here also sells Vics. I think it's a mistake fro Vic. This dealer pushes Honda over Vic. I bet that would be the same if they had Indian. I think Harley has it right there with their Harley only dealerships.
  15. FLHTbiker

Our HD dealership also sells Triumphs :rolleyes:
  16. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Are you kidding? I didn't think they allowed that. Never seen a multi-brand Harley dealership. What would keep them from having Indian as well? Just seems wrong. I can see it with the Rice bikes somehow.
  17. hotroadking

Small dealers that are still out there may have multi lines
    the dealer in my wifes hometown sold 4 wheelers and harleys...
  18. FLHTbiker

Our dealer is not a small dealer by any means. One of the largest in the west.
  19. Fatboy128

I stopped in at a HD dealer in western NJ and they sold Hondas as well as Harley's. I thought I had taken LSD when I saw Goldwings on the floor next to Ultras.
  20. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Lotsa rain here, too. It's been a very wet summer. Been keeping my eye peeled out for a new Indian - no sightings yet . . . are they even out on the road yet?