1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

The Ride to Johnson Ridge Observatory

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by FLHTbiker, Sep 13, 2015.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

A group of us rode to the Observatory at Johnson Ridge at Mt Saint Helens today. What a beautiful ride with temps in the 70's and partly cloudy. You all can't imagine the sight of this place after the Mountain blew up killing 60 people back in 1980. MT Saint Helens is said that the explosion was 1000 times greater than the Hiroshima bomb. A park ranger outside gave a step by step talk of the mountain blowing up what it did and the different directions it went with spectacular photos taken by some individuals who just barley escaped death themselves. If ever in the Pacific Northwest this is a must place to put on your bucket list. Simply incredible.

First picture we were at a restaurant built overlooking the Tutle River, this area was wiped out even of all trees and its 30 miles from the mountain.

image.jpg

At the observatory looking into the crater
    image.jpg

Looking off towards what used to be Spirit Lake that is now buried under tons of rock and silt. A new lake has formed at the same location but sits now a hundred feet or more above the old lake. They said when the blast occurred it took the water in the lake and hurled it up against the side of the hills behind it.

image.jpg

Me and the wife

image.jpg
  2. Givrsum

Givrsum Active Member

wow,, unreal.. great pic's. looks almost eerie. what a site
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

What a lot of people don't know is in the center of the crater the volcano is still active and a dome has been forming and getting larger.
  4. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Very awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Nice photo ops. You do live in a beautiful part of the country. I always think about DB Cooper whenever you post pictures of the Norhwest.

I'm thinking my wife is on the back taking pictures as we are traveling like she use to..nope? Oh well.