1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

The Wild Wild West

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by badinfluence63, Aug 6, 2016.

1. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg What an awsome trip. It was planned over a year ago. Didn't know who could go initially but whomever could make it was welcome. Work schedules,vacation limitations and other fun stoppers made it so only me, Karen, my daughter Kelly and 2 grandsons Joe and Aidan could go. Was hoping more could go as I could ride my motorcycle but it didn't come to fruition. Have 9 days in September for that opportunity, just don't know where to go with only 9 days?

So on Monday July 25,2016 at 8 am off we went on what turned out to be a 5023 mile jaunt thru the greatest country in the world.

Heading out we saw Dale Earnhardts Nationwide NASCAR car in the parking lot of the hotel we stayed in at Coralville, Iowa. Over the course of the next 12 days we went to Estes Park,CO and stayed at the Stanley hotel then on to Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse, Sturgis,Custer, Little Big Horn Battlefield, then on to Cleveland to the Rock and Roll HOF.

Some parts of the country better/worse than others. Living in hotels (with swimming pools and free breakfasts,lol) for 12 days. Surprisingly we all got along really well for the most part with everyone needing occasional alone time.

First off it takes about 2 days to get out of the traffic shitfest of the northeast. It didn't get good till Iowa.

Indiana sux! I'm gonna write a letter of complaint to the chamber of commerce. On both occasions of heading west then heading east we were dumped off the interstate with absolutely no clearly marked detour routing directions. Going west we were unceremoniously blocked from the exit for I-80 west with no clearly visible directions of any concern of how to get on it. Heading back east we were dumped off I-90 into Elkhardt and that's all. No directions once out the EZ pass toll booth. WTF.....douche bags. I'm still pissed about that. Only in Indianna.

Going thru Chicago sucked too. Chicago is so huge it took near to over 1 1/2 hours to travel thru and the traffic was moving. Never again thru Chicago. They are way screwed in an emergency situation.

then lots of construction and parking lot on the interstate in New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana.

However once in Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Montanna it was da bomb!!! 75-80 mph speed limit and minimum to no traffic and even construction speeds were 65mph. Once out that way saw herds of antelopes, bears, mountain lions, 2 bulls butting heads and fighting, had an antelope run in front of my truck. Rode thru the Rockies.....impressive.

Stopped in a marihuanna store on Colorado because it's legal there. Didn't buy any but wanted to see what that was all about. Was like being in a grocery store but for marihuanna. They check your ID. NO ONE UNDER 21 allowed. And you can buy pre rolled cigaretts for 10$. A gram for 20$. I was getting a buzz just being in the room. Very potent marihuanna.

Was hoping to meet up with Steve Grant and his family who I have much respect for but got about 100 miles away from his 10-20 at the end of a long day on the road, ending up in Coralville, IA. On the way home drove thru Lacrosse, Wisconsin where another dear friend, Elizabeth Cogbill lives and its just hard when you're on a time frame and minimum to no contact information. Didn't realize I was gonna be traveling thru her town. Maybe next time I'll free ball it with no reservation destinations to chase.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Sounds epic, BI, even without 2 wheels. Wish you could have rode the Black Hills and the Rockies this time, but being there with your loved ones is equally awesome. I don't get to do that enough with mine, being mostly a lone rider. Good for you and your clan!
    Now, come September, I'd recommend you look to the weather and go wherever it favors a ride. No point in joy-riding thru endless t-storms, as there ain't no joy there to be found. You've plenty of great rides in your own mountains, or if the weather sucks you can always drive somewhere clear and rent a bike...something I'm more likely to do now that I've crossed the 50 states off my list. Wherever you go, have fun and be safe!
  3. badinfluence63

Hey now Red Rider!

As far as September I still have to bring grandson back to NC this Friday and then I'll start thinking about September,lol. Got a couple ideas percolating.
  4. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Cool vacation, I'm glad for ya. I on the other hand just got back from the Southern Maine coast. You know, the Wells-Kennebunkport area. I would have welcomed a bullet in the head rather than sitting on the I495 for so many effin miles while the crews stood around and looked at a freaking little pothole. I can't believe that the state allows such a freaking backup especially during a workday. I wonder how the economy is impacted by the total lack of regard. Than we know what the Maine coast is like this time of year. Fortunately my son knows all the back roads around most of the Frenchies. Still it was good to see the son and his family.
    One of these days I'll get back out west to enjoy God's country. Years ago in 1996 and again in '97 I was in Missoula working on a bridge on I90 west of the cit outside of Aberton. I took a trip north on 93 and in St Ignatus I turned east on a "Blue" highway into the Rockies. The "Blue" line on the map turned into a dirt logging road through the Flathead Reservation and the Rockies. After a few hours of sweating the gas situation and only seeing an stopping to talk with a few Indians that were picking herbal medicine I made it out and ran out of gas in a gas station off route 89. There had to be a pound of dust behind the Taurus' gas door! What a amazing trip! Fly fished the Clarkfork, Rock Creek, Flathead and a few others. Was chased by a beaver (a real beaver smart guys), spooked by a rattle snake and saw bison, elk, prong horn and had bear on the bridge during the night work.
    Red Rider likes this.
  5. badinfluence63

Hey now Fatboy was wondering how you're doing and how's the Maine trips are going. I found a much better route to my mothers house in RI. I'm only on I-290 for 10 miles. Its shorter but takes the same time as avg speeds are about 35-40mph. Perhaps you might could find an alt route too?
  6. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Awesome trip and nice you were able to take the time and make those memories.
  7. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

We tried one from the Bridgeport Ferry. Worked better going but coming home worse. So much effin road work on the interstates especially in Mass. & Ct. I'll just try to make trips early AM of late PM from now on.
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Ya gotta expect the workers to be out in August,
    one more month and they go on snowplow duty...