1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

This is what happens when you just ride a bike.

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Dec 7, 2013.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

The GS 13 is his Dad. and the dad sold the bike to his son when he got a 11 RGU.

His dad has a buddy that owns a INdy shop. His buddy wants todo thing the Old way.
    We still got some dudes that has Indy shops that think the only motor Harley ever made was the EVO.
    They know nothing about fuel injection man. Nor wish to go to it.
    They want to stay carb.
    Fuel injection means computers. They don't want to deal with computers.
    They can sit on the side of the road and rebuild their bike.
  2. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's pretty high up on the pay scale, but that don't make him smart. You just have to be on the gov't. payroll a long time ;).
  3. cardboard

When he leaves Washing DC in 2 yrs. He will be making some really good money.
    More than I could imagine.

ain't a GS 13 like a 1 star General
  4. cardboard

GS 13 is a Lieutenant Colonel.
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with that.... KISS is good... For this kid,I think as simple as possible IS the way to go...A gear driven carbed TC would be a very solid good bike in an '01 block...I wouldn't mind having one:D
  6. cardboard

Kid has to be in his upper 30's.
    The bike now is a FI
  7. cardboard

8. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Well,I don't think he qualifies as a "kid" anymore:D...But kinda sounds like someone who hasn't growed up yet;)
  9. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

My '03 Ultra took out the inner cam bearing, even though it had the tension shoes replaced about 10,000 miles earlier and were in good shape. I had it shut off as soon as it rattled once real good, but by then it was too late. Looked at used engines and found some in the 2000 dollar range, but that would have been a get it running and trade it off fix. Ended up with a 95 inch engine from Harley, with the intention of running it for another couple of years. just under 5 grand installed. But, since I was pissed at the thing,, I ended up trading a month later for the '12. Finally made an actual good decision !!
    Those bearings being so close to the oil pump means instant disaster !!
  10. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Now I am totally confused. I remember back in the day where you were a RUB if you rode an EVO... I'm sure you've seen the stickers See no evo hear no evo ride no evo. I remember meeting some of the guys who were into real harleys..shovels, pans etc at a campground in Sturgis for a Bike Talk Sturgis meet a bunch of years back and some of them ..not the bike talk guys but some of the others were a little less than complimentary towards my bike and other EVOs. I would love to see what they're riding now.
    Back on topic though it is a bit of a piss off with the cam chain setup. I sold a friend a 2000 touring bike and he waited till it blew up before he checked the tensioners. The problem with them was that there really wasn't a set mileage interval that was consistent before they showed wear on a number of bikes. It was all over the map. At least with the Ducatis you pretty well knew when you should be changing your belt
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

The reasons HD didn't go with gears are noise and cost

To run gears you have to maintain tighter tolerances on the pinon
    shaft meaning being more precise when building them and the bottom end
    to keep the gears within a specific range, if you have enough variance and not much you have to have three pinion gears, large, regular and smaller (like SNS etc) this runs up the costs, with chain drives any inherent mass assembly variances can be allowed which means less cost and faster builds.

EPA only allows a certain max db for noise, HD has to stay under that
    and by going chain it's quieter than gears ever little tiny bit of noise
    reduction helps.

Nothing to do with good or bad.
  12. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

Guy I know is big on BMW's. He has 3. Late this summer he took one in for a "recall" and service. When I asked he told me it was for a cam chain tensioner problem.
    Bike is probably 5 years old, with about 30,000 miles on it. BMW picked up the tab. Not knockin H-D,,, just sayin.
  13. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

My 03 went 61K before I had them changes to the SE put three different sets in different shops each time & they still kept breaking the oil pump gears , One of my bro-in-laws 01 E Glide got to about 50k had his done shop kept having to redo it he would get maybe 20 miles & break it they finely just put a new engine in from HD , one of my other bro-in-laws had the se kit put in at 61k along with a 95 in kit & not one ounce of trouble all bike where well cared for like they should have been, it's just the way the TC are
  14. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i am packed, just waitin on you to show up!!!!!!
  15. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

based on his ride time of 12 hours to the texas border you should
    see him sometime this coming March...
  16. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

Had 30,00 or so on my 03 when Chuck and I changed them ,, (Well Chuck did,, I watched) and they didn't look too bad yet. They were about all that looked good in there after the bearing let go !!
  17. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

still a bummer.............
  18. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

It is by golly,,,, how come it's so damn cold down there ???
  19. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

all those snow birds are coming here & staying brought it with them to feel more like home
  20. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

We may not agree on the health care thing but trust me on this one the last thing a snowbird [ at least from this side of the 49th ] wants to see is snow and cold when we head south. We've had some really rotten weather here lately..some 30 below stretchs and snow and the same system that's giving us grief is giving some of you southern folk some real misery. I'm pretty hand driving in snow and ice..[ridden on ice a few times..lots easier on an ice racer, the other bike was nooooo fun at all.] but some of the ice you guys got was downright scary. Some wild looking crashes there..be safe.